Thread: 2013.04.12 - Indio, CA @ Coachella

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    starts around the 9 hour mark on Channel 1, probably will be up until performances start today http://www.youtube.com/coachella

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    so this is crazy, but i'm having a super hard time getting my brain to hear The Believers correctly. I've listened a bunch of times and compared to ep version. I know how the beat is supposed to go, but I can't stop hearing it shifted a half beat off so it sounds like the vox are out of time. Don't know if it's the new synth rhythms or the fact that the snare hit (which i know is supposed to be between beats 2 and 3, 4 and 1) is more pronounced or something. i have to seriously concentrate to hear the rhythm right.

anybody else? probably not. maybe I'm nuts.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    so this is crazy, but i'm having a super hard time getting my brain to hear The Believers correctly. I've listened a bunch of times and compared to ep version. I know how the beat is supposed to go, but I can't stop hearing it shifted a half beat off so it sounds like the vox are out of time. Don't know if it's the new synth rhythms or the fact that the snare hit (which i know is supposed to be between beats 2 and 3, 4 and 1) is more pronounced or something. i have to seriously concentrate to hear the rhythm right.

same thing here, man
    to me it sounded off when i was listening to
    though i wasn't blasting the stream since it was 3 in the morning so maybe i'm missing some other rhythm
    but it did sound off

EDIT: listening to it again nice and loud... yeah something seems off with the vocals on this one with the music. maybe an element is being lost on the stream, but the vocals seem to be a hair off in delivery.
    Last edited by neorev; 04-13-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I gave it a listen, and it seems like certain parts of the drum rhythm aren't quite as prevalent as in the album version, so it becomes really hard to pick out the downbeats. I managed it by focusing entirely on the vocals, and then the rest of the music seemed to shift into place. It was weird, though, having to actually try to hear it properly instead of just listening to it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Totally. I believe (sorry) it's the drum rhythm. The snare isn't exactly in the middle of a bar, but one (8th of a) tempo later. So when you hear three kick drums, pause, kick, snare, kick, the down-beat isn't on the second kick and the snare, but on the first kick and the fourth kick instead. Live, the snare is clearly a lot more different from the kick than on the EP, hence the catching off-guard.
    I've also heard the "shifted" version yesterday once, it was kind of weirdly awesome, but once the synths start going, it's difficult to keep it that way in one's brain.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Exact same thing here. I even started posting a new message in this very thread but ended up giving because my english is not solid enough to explain it like you did.

Trent really needs to shout out : "3, 4!" right before the beat kicks in. I hope this doesn't happen when I see them because The Believers is my favorite track and I want to enjoy it. Maybe with very loud kick hits it won't happen.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Following up on that : https://twitter.com/ash512/status/323466481507635201
    We'll see if they notice.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I thought the set was OK. Some songs definitely translated well live . MY big problem was with the timing being off on allot of songs and also mariqueens vocals definitely were not as solid as when they were on the EP and Album.

The opening track i cringed when i heard her first sing the ah ah part was horribly off.

Big compliments to the visuals and lighting very well done although I don't know if you want to hide the band through the whole performance thats a bit overkill.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreamingSlave View Post

The opening track i cringed when i heard her first sing the ah ah part was horribly off.
    I'm guessing that was nerves. I was super-impressed by the Pomona performance (not that Coachella wasn't good) -- especially "Ice Age." Holy crap.