Page 505 of 528 FirstFirst ... 5 405 455 495 503 504 505 506 507 515 ... LastLast
Results 15,121 to 15,150 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Man, I'm glad I didn't post the joke I had in response to @mfte 's..my head would be on a pike outside the ETS Estates..

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    oh boo hoo. speculating that he needs a life event to play a 30 year old song he owns is weird but ok. also, is “that’s what i get” anybody’s favorite song? like do we really want him to start playing it again…? over other awesome songs from that album like “the only time” and “ringfinger”? don’t get me wrong i like the song but i personally do not care that it’s no longer played.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @mfte was basically musing on whether Trent might play a sad song if he were ever sad enough again.
    The fact that he still plays Something I Can Never Have (a much sadder song than That's What I Get) should be all the evidence anyone needs.

I'm speculating here, but I imagine That's What I Get or Kinda I Want To haven't been played since those initial tours because Trent's not a big fan of them. They got played because there was one (1) album to promote at the time. No amount of hardcore revamping could make up for "now I'm slipping on the tears you made me cry". Plus, are those tracks anyone's favorites? Even if you like them, you have to admit they're not the best tracks on Pretty Hate Machine.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    over other awesome songs from that album like “the only time” and “ringfinger”?
    I need a revamped version of Ringfinger so badly.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I, for one, would love to hear something like TWIG instead of Terrible Lie or HLAH for the 6,000,000th time, but hey, that's just me..

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Yes, it literally is.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I, for one, would love to hear something like TWIG instead of Terrible Lie or HLAH for the 6,000,000th time, but hey, that's just me..
    For a second I was thinking “since when did Trent write a song about a twig?” then my brain came back.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Regarding old songs, I think just to satiate our OCD palette, Trent should just do a series of “one off” complete album playthroughs like Gary Numan has done with Telekon, TPP and Replicas. Do all of PHM and it’s b-sides at one show, maybe throw in Purest Feeling stuff at a second show. Do a Broken/Fixed night. And record them all, kinda like what APC did with their live albums, but don’t play silly remix versions *ahem*3 Libras*ahem*.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ Yes, it literally is.
    It's REALLY not.

I'd go nuts if I heard TWIG live. I've never understood the disdain for that song. For the record, it IS one of my favorite NIN songs. It's got the backwards cymbal or whatever it is, that sounds like a knife being sharpened, in a frightening manner. It's got the weird ass percussion noises. The keyboard parts are stunning. It's badass. It gives me goosebumps.
    Maybe the lyrics are a bit sophomoric, but, hey, I fell in love with it when I was twelve years old.

And I literally skip HLAH at this point.

Idk. Maybe it's because I'm an older fan, being 41?

Also, @sweeterthan , how is The Only Time THAT much better than TWIG? Those songs are PRETTY damn similar, to my ear, and the same goes for Ringfinger.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-12-2021 at 11:27 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    It's REALLY not.

I'd go nuts if I heard TWIG live. I've never understood the disdain for that song. For the record, it IS one of my favorite NIN songs. It's got the backwards cymbal or whatever it is, that sounds like a knife being sharpened, in a frightening manner. It's got the weird ass percussion noises. The keyboard parts are stunning. It's badass. It gives me goosebumps.
    Maybe the lyrics are a bit sophomoric, but, hey, I fell in love with it when I was twelve years old.

Also, @sweeterthan , how is The Only Time THAT much better than TWIG? Those songs are PRETTY damn similar, to my ear, and the same goes for Ringfinger.
    I’ll one up you and even say that That’s What I Get was my favourite track off PHM at one point. He could play it as-is and just change “now I’m slipping on the tears you made me cry” to “now I’ve fallen on your dagger that made me die” or something like that, no?

I even dig the even cheesier demo version.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ Yes, it literally is.
    Of course you would take it literally, robotley.

Why don't you go down in your basement and make a 2-hour podcast about it..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    It's REALLY not.

Right? How could anyone possibly enjoy certain songs on PHM or in the Nails discography that certain gatekeepers are so sure no one else would be into. Unfathomable..

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Probably that. If they skipped "Head Like a Hole" to play "That's What I Get" instead, you'd just see a handful of middle-aged dudes rocking out scattered around the venue and several thousand other people confused or staring at their shoes.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    That's the problem though. The lyrics sound like the musings of a horned up teenager. Do we really want to hear a 56 year old man singing about just learning how to kiss?

I think it's okay to like a song, or even have it be a favorite, while also admitting that it hasn't aged particularly well. I still listen to a lot of 90s rap music with some truly cringeworthy lyrics, so I can't pass judgement on that sort of thing. I just think that Trent is definitely not in a place anymore where singing that song would feel genuine. Head Like A Hole gets played because it was a huge hit, everyone knows it, and the lyrics are still (sadly) relevant. That's What I Get feels more like a relic. Relics can be cool, but sometimes there's a reason they're collecting dust.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Play the demo version of Sanctified with the Flock of Seagulls guitar riff you coward.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This version of Ringfinger is AMAZING though

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    That's the problem though. The lyrics sound like the musings of a horned up teenager. Do we really want to hear a 56 year old man singing about just learning how to kiss?....
    And with that, I'll add NIN covers "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" to my Year Zero bingo card.

Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    This version of Ringfinger is AMAZING though

Ok, I'll risk losing my fanboy card here, but that is atrocious. It sounds as if they were all wearing headphones playing along to different tracks. [FlameOn]
    Last edited by ekrekel; 08-13-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    And with that, I'll add NIN covers "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" to my Year Zero bingo card.

Ok, I'll risk losing my fanboy card here, but that is atrocious. It sounds as if they were all wearing headphones playing along to different tracks. [FlameOn]
    no one seems to like Ringfinger so you’re probably in the majority here.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Right? How could anyone possibly enjoy certain songs on PHM or in the Nails discography that certain gatekeepers are so sure no one else would be into. Unfathomable..
    certain gatekeeper is the name of my new band

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    The best is how certain people are claiming "Thats What I Get" is a cheesy/embarrassing song yet theres an actual thread here devoted to people claiming "Everything" is a masterpiece lmao...."Everything" is the most embarrassing CRINGE worthy pile of shit he has done since Option 30/Exotic Birds era and the fact some people try to justify it as some misunderstood piece of art is laughable. 'Everything' makes 'Thats What I Get' look like 'Imagine' by John Lennon

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I would love to hear The Only Time live.

That's all I got. Ya'll can continue arguing now.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Do we really want to hear a 56 year old man singing about just learning how to kiss?.
    Yes.

I mean, maybe I'm using the Royal "We?"

But good god, listen to the PRODUCTION on that song.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-13-2021 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    The best is how certain people are claiming "Thats What I Get" is a cheesy/embarrassing song yet theres an actual thread here devoted to people claiming "Everything" is a masterpiece lmao...."Everything" is the most embarrassing CRINGE worthy pile of shit he has done since Option 30/Exotic Birds era and the fact some people try to justify it as some misunderstood piece of art is laughable. 'Everything' makes 'Thats What I Get' look like 'Imagine' by John Lennon
    Amen. Preach.

ALSO. JESUS Harold Christ. Why do you guys get so ANGRY about this shit?

Fuck @botley fuck @Prettybrokenspiral fuck @sweeterthan fuck ELEVEN, etc? REALLY?

It's kind of silly. It's obscure songs from one of the more obscure records made by a band we all adore.

E'erbody calm down, y'all, as we say in Texas.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-13-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post

But yeah, Everything is better than That's What I Get.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    AGAIN.
    Everybody take it easy, for fuck's sake.

I feel more comfortable talking in the guns thread or the feminism thread than this one, currently.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-13-2021 at 08:04 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm being pretty chill about this to be honest. I'm definitely not the one going into histrionics about it (like certain attention-seeking members of our fair community). Frankly, I don't care if it's someone's favorite song or not. I can see why people like it, but I can also see why it hasn't been played in thirty years. I don't think that's an overly controversial stance to take on it. Certainly not worth people flipping their wig and calling me a gatekeeper. (I'm a cryptkeeper, fools. Get it right!)
    Last edited by BRoswell; 08-13-2021 at 08:21 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

edit: gate open

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Ok so, I want to make something clear.

A couple of my posts weren't worded very well. I had taken an extra Xanax; I'm going through some stress.

All I meant to say was that we shouldn't be hateful to one another over which songs we like or don't like, by our mutual favorite band.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    SO. With that out of the way, allow me to.change the subject:

For those of you who are my age-in the, idk, 39-45 range, (I'm 41, for.the record,)

Did Pretty Hate Machine inform how you thought you were supposed to act in your early relationships, like, with your first love?

I know it certainly warped my idea of what was normal. I discovered it when I was 12, and i thought it was sooooooo cool, that i think it made me extremely dramatic with my first couple of girlfriends: ESPECIALLY the one I was with all four years of HS.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm sorry guys but "That's What I Get" is the only Nine Inch Nails song which I personally cannot defend even if I were to try, the lyricism and the vocal delivery is just not a thing I can defend from any possible angle. I am glad some of you like it though, it'd be a boring world if we all agreed with each other.

As for "Everything", I think the only thing that really stands out is the opening of the song, Trent's low note is a little jarring, but the song itself is not that much from then forward. I think the opening of the song really doesn't help with people's views on that song, I still get not liking that song though.

It's funny cuz I can probably defend other really weird things from this band which people may consider just as embarassing which in my ears doesn't sound embarassing, like With_Teeth's title-track's chorus and Getting Smaller's FLIP-FLOP-FLIP-FLOP-FLIP. I find those kind of charming and I like them.
    Last edited by HWB; 08-16-2021 at 12:14 AM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    One redeeming feature of "That's What I Get" is the outro. It's low-key one of my favorite moments on the album, TBH.