Page 142 of 263 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 140 141 142 143 144 152 192 242 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,260 of 7887

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    it's ldopa (as in a lowercase L, not an uppercase i). that was pissing me off.
    Well, then it should be Ldopa and yours should be Eversonpoe, or EversonPoe, or EverSonPoe or whatever

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I'm pretty sure Idopa was just referencing Firefly.
    Okay yeah I don't know what that even means, I just know her edit note says "Latin."

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Well, then it should be Ldopa and yours should be Eversonpoe, or EversonPoe, or EverSonPoe or whatever
    wait, what? why? a lowercase L and an uppercase I (in some fonts) look identical so it wasn't actually tagging her in posts when people were trying. that's what was pissing me off.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    wait, what? why? a lowercase L and an uppercase I (in some fonts) look identical so it wasn't actually tagging her in posts when people were trying. that's what was pissing me off.
    I think to tag her, one has to use the @ sign, right? He didn't do that, either.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I'm pretty sure Idopa was just referencing Firefly.
    Okay yeah I don't know what that even means
    If that's what she did, I have a whole lotta more respect for her, and a whole lotta less for you !

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    If that's what she did, I have a whole lotta more respect for her, and a whole lotta less for you !
    That's good.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    no matter how strongly i enunciate, sometimes even spell it out, no one ever gets my name right the first time. i get colby, kirby, shelby, kelly, even fucking sheldon. is "kelby" that hard to swallow? jeez.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    damn i'm sorry about your old man @allegro

and that is scary about your wife @eversonpoe

we are going home (without a diagnosis-we are supposed to get that at the follow up appointment.)

We DID learn that the "meningitis" she had last year was more likely encephalitis.
    i don't know why she gets sick and has health problems all the damn time. i guess some people would call it a weak "constitution."
    but she's been ADMITTED to the hospital 3 times in 3 years, while i have been admitted 0 times.

edit: @c0f3d - my other half is "Lorien," as in Lady of Lorien or Lothlorien. Lore...ee...en. But everyone (especially in this redneck shithole) calls her Lo-Reen or Lo-Rain, usually no matter how many times they are corrected. When we first met she was like "oh my god, you said my name right!" and i was thinking "ummm yeaahh...wtf? i can read letters."
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-27-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    We DID learn that the "meningitis" she had last year was more likely encephalitis.
    holy shit, wow. Although, that totally makes sense.

my other half is "Lorien," as in Lady of Lorien or Lothlorien. Lore...ee...en. But everyone (especially in this redneck shithole) calls her Lo-Reen or Lo-Rain, usually no matter how many times they are corrected. When we first met she was like "oh my god, you said my name right!" and i was thinking "ummm yeaahh...wtf? i can read letters."
    One of our friends is from Dallas and she married a guy from Chicago named Ken, and they moved back down to Dallas. And Ken was floored at the number of people who can't fucking seem to pronounce his name down there. He gets mostly KAY-en (one syllable became two), and one guy calls him "captain" because he gave up trying to pronounce KEN. Wtf.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-27-2016 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I'm so glad you're headed home, @elevenism :::hugs:::

For my piss you off... I've gone 10 years since my back surgery without any major problems, but starting yesterday I've had a pretty fair amount of pain and sciatica. Super unhappy about that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i'll just leave this here...

Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 01-27-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    dj khaled says, "Another One."

Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 01-27-2016 at 09:21 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    it goes even deeper than that my friend!
    the "L" in L-dopa isn't even an uppercase L per se. it's actually an uppercase "L" that's written slightly smaller, because it's an o-chem shorthand. it actually doesn't technically stand for "LEVO" which is the trade name: levodopa

anyway, in latin "mal" means "evil" and in med terms, latin and greek are gospel.
    @allegro , did your cat have distemper at all? that's what my very first cat died from. it was very disturbing. also american health care is a bureaucratic fucking nightmare. at the risk of blaspheme, better you than your father to deal with that shit! he's tired.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldopa View Post
    it goes even deeper than that my friend!
    the "L" in L-dopa isn't even an uppercase L per se. it's actually an uppercase "L" that's written slightly smaller, because it's an o-chem shorthand. it actually doesn't technically stand for "LEVO" which is the trade name: levodopa.

anyway, in latin "mal" means "evil" and in med terms, latin and greek are gospel.
    @allegro , did your cat have distemper at all? that's what my very first cat died from. it was very disturbing. also american health care is a bureaucratic fucking nightmare. at the risk of blaspheme, better you than your father to deal with that shit! he's tired.
    No, the cat never went outside, it's likely that she had epilepsy but it never developed until she turned 19, per the vets. The epilepsy was then largely controlled via seizure meds and she lived until she was 21 and we had to put her down due to kidney disease.

My father is so sick, he is not "here," so we must make many (and pretty much all) decisions. G and I are old enough to be your parents and have been through this so many times, with immediate family members, I'm jaded beyond emotion. Which is sad, I guess. So, unlike others, I do not come here seeking advice. I merely said I understood re @elevenism ; it's hard to cry when you are making all these decisions. Again. I do appreciate your concern, though. Bureaucracy doesn't seem to be the problem so much as "how long can we keep this guy alive and run up the tab when we know he's going to die, anyway?" Which is cynical, the reality is they are trying to help him.

The Latin root you are thinking of is malus. (My husband took three years of college Latin and I spent a lot of time with him while he was conjugating Latin and reading Ovid in original Latin, egad.)

You would not see "evil" used in medicine, as that (in history) is a moral judgment or a religious term. We use modern English today to define Latin from 5th century BC but it's more complicated than that.

You're right in that most medical (or botanical) terms are rooted in Greek (or sometimes in Latin), but in this case it is solely French. (Of course, French and Spanish are Latin-based languages.)

But those types of seizures are now called Tonic-clonic seizures.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-28-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The 1 dimensional world of good and evil and plot lines and characters in the world of telenovelas in this country. It's painful.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    people mispronouncing "boise." it's "boy-SEE", not boy-ZEE." jewel (gag) even wrote a song about it.

a small annoyance at best, but it's nearly constant.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    just got sent a bunch of photos from the tech show I just assisted at, and I just realized that I'm now about 80% on my way to a full bald spot on the top/back of my scalp. It looks ridiculous, like a comb-over. Guess it's time for a change.

Bummer. The thing I liked about long hair was that I never needed to worry about it. I got a hair cut once every two years...

Getting old fucking sucks.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    same here, jinsai. mine started around 25. i've tried creams, propecia, nothing worked.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Getting old fucking sucks.
    Wait 'til you realize you probably only have about 25 years left to live, tops. Yeah, the vanity stuff becomes pretty insignificant.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    goddamn it... I can't keep going on like this. I'm sick of trying new meds. None of them work, some of them make it worse.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    goddamn it... I can't keep going on like this. I'm sick of trying new meds. None of them work, some of them make it worse.
    dude, i know what you mean. and i'm with you and @c0f3d on the bald spot too.
    @allegro you aren't ever gonna die.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Picked one of these chilis from the garden, scratched my nose and now my nose is a fucking volcano

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

One of our friends is from Dallas and she married a guy from Chicago named Ken, and they moved back down to Dallas. And Ken was floored at the number of people who can't fucking seem to pronounce his name down there. He gets mostly KAY-en (one syllable became two), and one guy calls him "captain" because he gave up trying to pronounce KEN. Wtf.
    I've been trying to turn this over in my head. Kay-en sounds like a thick southern accent. SURELY we are talking about an accent and not an actual inability to understand "ken," right? i mean, who are these people?
    remember, i lived in dallas for a long ass time, and as far as i can tell, it's a hell of a lot like any other massive metropolitan area.

so i'm baffled by this one. but if he's hanging out with people who have thick drawls, i could see "kay-en"

edit: i worked at this nursing home in east texas. now THAT place is redneck as fuck. i swear to god this girl i dated out there bragged that i didn't beat her to her stunned friends. Seriously.
    Anyway, we had this african dude that came to work there named Rodrick. And i was LITERALLY the only person in the facility who could say it. They called him Roger. Rodrick became my best friend there; he was a HELL of a lot more worldly and educated than those redneck buffoons.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-31-2016 at 09:33 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Lol, it's three letters ffs

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I've been trying to turn this over in my head. Kay-en sounds like a thick southern accent. SURELY we are talking about an accent and not an actual inability to understand "ken," right? i mean, who are these people?
    remember, i lived in dallas for a long ass time, and as far as i can tell, it's a hell of a lot like any other massive metropolitan area.

so i'm baffled by this one. but if he's hanging out with people who have thick drawls, i could see "kay-en"

edit: i worked at this nursing home in east texas. now THAT place is redneck as fuck. i swear to god this girl i dated out there bragged that i didn't beat her to her stunned friends. Seriously.
    Anyway, we had this african dude that came to work there named Rodrick. And i was LITERALLY the only person in the facility who could say it. They called him Roger. Rodrick became my best friend there; he was a HELL of a lot more worldly and educated than those redneck buffoons.
    Dunno, thick southern accent, and inability to understand a Midwest accent (or lack thereof)? These were people at WORK. the guys all worked for AT&T and were phone pole repair type guys around the whole Dallas area ('burbs and stuff, our friends actually live in Lewisville). It totally perplexed our friend, in a funny way, made us laugh our asses off.

Edit: Roger, LOL
    Last edited by allegro; 01-31-2016 at 10:42 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    cross-posted from the apple thread.

right now, i'm using my old, outdated, backup laptop because for a couple weeks, my normal laptop had been dropping its wireless capability (literally, i would be in the middle of doing something, or sometimes when waking it from sleep, the wifi would turn itself off and not let me turn it back on). restarting the computer would fix the issue until it happened again, until last night. when i restarted it and instead of not letting me turn the wifi on, it had a new icon that, when i clicked on it, displayed the message "no wifi hardware installed."

the bad news is they're replacing the card and connector cable that supplies the laptop with wifi and bluetooth.
    the good news is my apple care extended protection plan (3 years) still had 53 days on it, so this happened in the nick of time, and i don't have to pay for it.
    the bad news is that they don't have the part(s) at the store, so i will be without my main computer (which i use for work almost every day) for 3-5 days.

:: grumble ::

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i am so fucking furious, and at this point, i will vote for anyone who will dismantle obamacare.
    my income is 0, but i am "still eligible to purchase healthcare through the marketplace."
    No doctors take HMOs here, and the only PPO available is through cigna, but i can't buy that one because i have a pre-existing condition (a clear violation of the "affordable care act," but they are doing it anyway.)

SO, since i am "still eligible," i will owe the IRS $695 dollars.

Fuck this.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    i am so fucking furious, and at this point, i will vote for anyone who will dismantle obamacare.
    my income is 0, but i am "still eligible to purchase healthcare through the marketplace."
    No doctors take HMOs here, and the only PPO available is through cigna, but i can't buy that one because i have a pre-existing condition (a clear violation of the "affordable care act," but they are doing it anyway.)

SO, since i am "still eligible," i will owe the IRS $695 dollars.

Fuck this.
    Blame the State of Texas, dude. In all but 5 states, people are getting expanded Medicare. Your state hates Obama so much, it fucks its own citizens.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Blame the State of Texas, dude. In all but 5 states, people are getting expanded Medicare. Your state hates Obama so much, it fucks its own citizens.
    Don't forget the citizens are so goddamn stupid that they are tricked into VOTING for being fucked because the people doing the fucking appear to share their xenophobia and "old timey family values."

Jesus Christ.
    I have a love/hate relationship with this place.
    Today it's mostly hate
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-04-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Jesus Christ.
    I have a love/hate relationship with this place.
    Today it's mostly hate
    Time to load the family up in the truck and move to CO, land of hippy pot-eating liberals. Life is so much easier and better when you're surrounded by people just like you.