Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Batman Returns (1992) was the best Batman movie.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say I agree, but I'm glad that this opinion exists.
    I still haven't seen the full set of Nolan Batman films - I thought Begins was extremely dull and have no interest in seeing more of Bale in the role.
    Give me Batman '66 or '89 anyday. Returns was probably a bit muddled but I love Burton's full-on gothic indulgence (what happened to that eh?).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    I thought Begins was extremely dull and have no interest in seeing more of Bale in the role.
    The Dark Knight is perfection. Bale stepped up in the role as Wayne and Batman but the real highlight was Ledger's anarchy obsessed Joker portrayal. Please watch the movie just for that. He steals every scene. I wouldn't blame you if you don't wanna watch The Dark Knight Rises because thats kinda....ehhhhhh. It's not bad but it's not great. it's definitely watchable.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    The Dark Knight is perfection.
    I'd agree on Ledger's performance. Aside from that and a few other scenes the movie is pretty terrible though - the narrative is silly and pretentious, some ideas are almost offensive, the story is bloated and -as with all his films- Nolan's direction is too on the nose and full of itself. Even technically it's not much more than well made.

But make the themes of your movie create a surface of darkness and seriousness, make it look "cool" and seemingly that's enough to trick so many people into thinking it's a masterpiece. But if you look beneath the surface and start to think about the stuff on display the whole thing falls apart.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I'd agree on Ledger's performance. Aside from that and a few other scenes the movie is pretty terrible though - the narrative is silly and pretentious, some ideas are almost offensive, the story is bloated and -as with all his films- Nolan's direction is too on the nose and full of itself. Even technically it's not much more than well made.

But make the themes of your movie create a surface of darkness and seriousness, make it look "cool" and seemingly that's enough to trick so many people into thinking it's a masterpiece. But if you look beneath the surface and start to think about the stuff on display the whole thing falls apart.
    As far as drama goes for superhero films I think it’s one of the best to date. Of course it had flaws but nothing insulting like some of these movies.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    As far as drama goes for superhero films I think it’s one of the best to date. Of course it had flaws but nothing insulting like some of these movies.
    I think there are quite a few insulting moments. For example when they play reverse-racism with the biggest, baddest looking and -of course- black dude on one of the ferries... the one who finally throws out the remote, just to have some kind of twist.

One could also say it's insulting to the viewer and/or also offensive in general how they try to equate the Joker's nihilistic ramblings about social fragility with real jihadist terrorism.

Then there's the surveillance thing, which shows Batman wiretapping Gotham's citizens, just to lazily resolve that "commentary" with Batman rigging his equipment with self destruction.

I'm not against superhero movies in general, but all of this makes me think, the more serious or "real" or "adult" superhero films try to be, the more problematic/flawless they become. There are very few superhero movies that actually pulled it off. Watchmen comes to mind (albeit flawed in other areas). Chronicle may be another. Unbreakable.