Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1624

Thread: Depeche Mode

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    (Their 2nd album is considered by many to be their worst album and there are at least 2 or 3 gems on it)
    True, like instrumental Nothing To Fear:

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    why does everyone always skip over Construction Time Again? i think it's a more solid album than Some Great Reward (which has some real bummers on it), it has the beginnings of the industrial-tinged/darker sound ("more than a party" & "pipeline"), but it's still fun to listen to all the way through. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    thank you everyone!! I'm so excited to dig into them, will have a lot more free time to do so starting tomorrow night!

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Just a random note... I took SOFAD in for my kindergarten show and tell back in 93. lmao.

Anyone gonna get that stupid ass black boxset?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    Anyone gonna get that stupid ass black boxset?
    I ordered it despite it being a total fucking waste of money. Justified it on the basis that I didn’t buy the vinyl singles boxes and, oh boy, one unreleased track!

Would it have killed them to scrape some of the content that hasn’t been available since they pulled The Complete DM from iTunes? Sigh...

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    @versusreality - you should also check out Dave and Martin’s solo work. Basically, Martin did the majority of the songwriting (not counting their debut album where Vince Clarke did all the songwriting except for “Big Muff” and “Tora! Tora! Tora! - both written by Martin), up until 2001 with “Exciter”. Dave released his first solo album “Paper Monsters” in 2003, and since then at least 3 songs have been written by Dave on all subsequent albums. Some tracks are also co-written by the two, like “Oh Well” and “Long Time Lie” - those both being bonus track b-sides.

On all albums since the beginning, Martin has sung usually 2 songs per album, with the exception of “Speak & Spell” (their debut, only singing on “Any Second Now (Voices)” and only singing “Shouldn’t Have Done That” on the their second album “A Broken Frame”. On “Black Celebration” there was the rare exception where Martin sang 4 songs: “A Question of Lust,” “Sometimes,” “It Doesn’t Matter Two” (named as such because a song called “It Doesn’t Matter” appeared on “Some Great Reward” in 1984), and “World Full of Nothing”.

The the two solo albums Martin has released (not counting the all instrumental stuff with Vince Clarke called VCMG) have all been cover songs: “Counterfeit ep” came out in the 80’s and “Counterfeit 2” came out the same year as Dave’s first solo album in 2003. All beautifully sung covers. There is also a cover of the Leonard Cohen song “Coming Back To You” that was put out as it’s own thing.

Dave’s solo stuff is definitely more interesting and has great b-sides to boot: “Paper Monsters” released in 2003, “Hourglass” in 2007, and then two collaborations with Soulsavers where Dave sings and writes all the songs and lyrics: “The Light The Dead See” (2012) and “Angels & Ghosts” in 2015, plus a bunch of other one-off guest vocals on a variety of songs for other artists. Some Dave solo songs that are my favourite you might dig:

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    I ordered it despite it being a total fucking waste of money. Justified it on the basis that I didn’t buy the vinyl singles boxes and, oh boy, one unreleased track!

Would it have killed them to scrape some of the content that hasn’t been available since they pulled The Complete DM from iTunes? Sigh...
    Which box set are we talking about and what is the bonus track? Back before SOTU came out @butters and I got all the stuff together from The Complete Depeche Mode and even made some of our own custom artwork for the still as yet unreleased singles box sets for the 2001 era and beyond. I have everything from that if you need something.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This garbage: http://www.depechemode.com/article/d...e-mode-box-set

The Highline Session version of Heroes is the track I referred to. They couldn’t even be bothered to include the other songs performed there. One of many missed opportunities.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yea. I'm not really sure who the target audience for that is.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    This garbage: http://www.depechemode.com/article/d...e-mode-box-set

The Highline Session version of Heroes is the track I referred to. They couldn’t even be bothered to include the other songs performed there. One of many missed opportunities.
    Ah, ok. Cool that they’re including the original version of Death’s Door.

I’m not a huge audiophile so I’d just rip the audio for the YouTube video for the “Heroes” cover.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I think I'm just more frustrated on how many remasters they have done on their back catalog... I mean, how many times can you optimize the sound... Repackage the same shit every single time.

You had the 2007 remasters... Remasters on vinyl... Remasters of the singles... This black box that is pretty much just the artwork updated to be black from every album. I am just baffled by the stuff they put out. Plus in this box they have all be remastered AGAIN. Beating of a dead horse...

If they really want to bring something to the fans. Give us that World Violation Tour video. As unpolished as they might think it is, it will be better than any of those live shows they have put out in the last 20 years. (I did like One Night In Paris though)

Just an old, sour Depeche fan here. lol.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    I think I'm just more frustrated on how many remasters they have done on their back catalog... I mean, how many times can you optimize the sound... Repackage the same shit every single time.

You had the 2007 remasters... Remasters on vinyl... Remasters of the singles... This black box that is pretty much just the artwork updated to be black from every album. I am just baffled by the stuff they put out. Plus in this box they have all be remastered AGAIN. Beating of a dead horse...
    Are they actually optimizing these remasters or just making them louder? I love this David Bowie example:

https://connyolivetti.files.wordpres...-waveforms.pdf

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Are they actually optimizing these remasters or just making them louder? I love this David Bowie example:

Oh god... That 2017 one looks real bad in terms of waveform. It's sad thats what people go after now is just making it louder.

Seems like BRAT was on the transfers for many of these masters. Not sure if they used the remasters. But it seems like they are all new transfers from briefly looking at posts from him about it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

Good Lord brick wall city

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Amazon is listing all the pre-2005 albums in the boxset as being the 2006/2007 remasters. Not sure if that's necessarily hard proof, but it makes the most sense.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Good Lord brick wall city
    "welcome to brickwallin' city! WHAM BAM DEAFNESS MA'AM!"

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Welcome To Brick Wall
    Step right through the door
    Leave your headphones at home
    You don’t need them anymore

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Sexy packaging.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, what do you think, will we got something new from DM this year, like press conference about 2021 album and tour?

PS: Delta Machine is much better than Spirit. :-)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    PS: Delta Machine is much better than Spirit. :-)
    Let’s get into a quick discussion here.

The best way I can think of describing “Spirit” in one word is: frustrating.

It opens up so strongly with “Going Backwards,” then has the annoying and grating “Where’s The Revolution” single, which should really have a question mark on the end of the title. You then come to the slow and powerful “The Worst Crime” (which was performed at the Highline Sessions but never performed in front of a live audience, which is a crime!), then comes “Scum,” which is pretty forgettable, save for the powerful “pull the trigger!” line.

We then come to the most recent Dave/Martin collab of “You Move” which has that funky bleep-bloop-bloop part that I dig, then we reach the pinnacle of the record (a Dave song, no less) with Cover Me, which is just enchanting. “Eternal” just sounds like uninspired and by-the-numbers Martin. It’s followed by two more strong songs that I enjoy: “Poison Heart” and “So Much Love” - I can see why both were chosen to be done live. But then you come to these two utterly boring songs: “Poorman” and then “No More (This Is The Last Time)”, which (the latter) frankly was already done with “The Last Time” on Angels & Ghosts with Soulsavers. The lyrics to “Poorman” leave a lot to be desired for. At least it ends on a high note - “Fail” has the first time the word fuck has ever been used in a DM song, and that synth sound throughout the track is really creepy and atmospheric, really adding to the hopelessness of the lyrics. Also interesting to hear Martin close a record.

The bonus jungle remixes are really boring and the lack of any proper b-sides is frustrating, too. Don’t even get me started on the cover art. That grey hue, Anton, come on. You used it on the Live In Berlin DVD cover. It’s ugly.

I find, in terms of recent output (PTA / SOTU / DM / Spirit) that it’s been up and down. PTA: woo! SOTU: ugh. (though the bonus tracks saved it). Delta Machine: woo! (bonus tracks are also amazing). Spirit: ugh.

Let’s hope the next release is a big WOO! with lots of praiseworthy album tracks and b-sides.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Sexy packaging.

Entered a competition from Sony Ireland for a copy of this. Fingers crossed!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Really disappointed at some of the setlist decisions here. No Corrupt or Barrel of a Gun? Ugh. If they didn’t want to include them in the concert film for whatever reason, fine - but why not at least tack the omitted tracks on as a bonus on the digital release?

I suppose I was spoiled by the Live Here Now era...

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Really disappointed at some of the setlist decisions here. No Corrupt or Barrel of a Gun? Ugh. If they didn’t want to include them in the concert film for whatever reason, fine - but why not at least tack the omitted tracks on as a bonus on the digital release?

I suppose I was spoiled by the Live Here Now era...
    Yeah, that’s annoying. I’m surprised they included “Heroes”.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Eh, I’ll try to focus on the positives going forward - at least The Things You Said and I Want You Now didn’t get the axe. Hearing the former live ensured I had zero regrets about catching both legs of the tour (something I hadn’t bothered with previously given the limited setlist variation).

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    They should’ve at least included all of the Highline Sessions. I really like the version of The Worst Crime they did for that (but didn’t perform on tour).

So Much Love and Poison Heart still haven’t been released from those sessions - http://www.depmode.com/Depeche_Mode_...e_Sessions.php
    Last edited by Erneuert; 03-02-2020 at 01:32 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Am I missing something or is the film setlist identical to what they played on just the last night, despite saying it's recorded across both nights? That's really daft to not have In Your Room on there.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Am I missing something or is the film setlist identical to what they played on just the last night, despite saying it's recorded across both nights? That's really daft to not have In Your Room on there.
    Wasn’t that the first time they did the OG in your room since SOFAD?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    Wasn’t that the first time they did the OG in your room since SOFAD?
    Yup, though I think they did the album version intro in 2009 before switching over to the Zephyr/single mix for the remainder of the song.

Aside from the fact that the OG mix is superior in every fucking way to anything ever, that song also had an effective video for it last tour. That's such a huge oversight to exclude it from the home release??

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Yup, though I think they did the album version intro in 2009 before switching over to the Zephyr/single mix for the remainder of the song.

Aside from the fact that the OG mix is superior in every fucking way to anything ever, that song also had an effective video for it last tour. That's such a huge oversight to exclude it from the home release??
    Kinda like how they didn’t include “Clean” on One Night In Paris and slipped “Condemnation” on instead.