Thread: The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Sweet lord almighty that looks fantastic!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Sweet lord almighty that looks fantastic!

Already taken down. ANybody able to steal it while it was up?

and AgentofChaos:

Any suggested readings for Guardians, I'm a complete newb to that comic but am pretty interested in the flick.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    Already taken down. ANybody able to steal it while it was up?
    Still up here: http://www.superheromoviesnews.com/2...ture-past.html

Click "close to play" on the player to see it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Broadbent,

The new Marvel NOW! series is only 5 issues in or so, so it's the perfect place to start. There was an issue #0.1 as well, if you want a bit of a prologue on Starlord and his daddy issues.

In addition, there were 4 Infinite comics, each giving a detailed back story on the other characters leading up the relaunch of the title and how they came to reunite as the guardians. These were just collected in a mini trade titled GotG: Tomorrow's Avengers, I believe.

If you want the whole new run collected in a torrent it wouldn't take me so long and I'd be happy to do it for you, or anyone else who may be interested. Just let me know.

Previously, the book relaunched in '98 and had a 25 issue run and more or less wrapped up involvement in the Thanos imperative. There were 4 trades that collected this run; Legacy, War of Kings 1 & 2, and Realm of Kings. After that they had been relatively dormant for a couple years until their reappearance in a few early issues of Avengers Assemble at the end of last year.

Now, if you want to go even further back, there was a run in the 90's and a lot of stuff before that, mostly in the 60's/70's, however it is a different incarnation of the team (Earth-691) so I'm not sure how relevant that it is to you. However its pretty good stuff and there are really only 3 main trades you need to read. You'll find some Ultron in there, some Claremont contribution, a little bit for everyone!

Quest for the Shield (the original 6 issue run),
    and the two big collections Tomorrow's Avengers Vol 1-2 (note: these are different than the new mini trade mentioned above).

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Maybe someone should just go ahead and start a thread for The Wolverine so we can get back on-topic and start talking about the actual Marvel Cinematic Universe in here again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. It's a thread for Marvel movies. If a new Punisher were to come out, we'd talk about it in here, I'm sure. Just because you don't see Spiderman in the Avengers movie, you can just go ahead and assume he was swinging around town saving people dangling from things and saying stuff like "Hey, did you just see a guy with a big, horned helmet fly past on a rocket jet-ski? You did? Good, I'm not crazy. HEADS UP!" and then he has to drop them briefly after almost getting hit by a laser, but it's cool, because he shoots a web out that totally snags the person's wrist and swings them onto the rooftop of a police station, where the cops start shooting at him and he has to leap to safety shouting "Oh come ON! Same team, guys!" and JJJ runs an article the next day saying Spiderman was totally in on the whole invasion.
    Fun response and everything, but it's not really addressing my point.

There is exactly ONE true "Marvel Cinematic Universe" worth of films going on right now. And that "universe" is comprised of the series of films produced by Marvel Studios and conceived, written, and executed in such a way as to make it blatantly obvious that they are all intricately interwoven with one another. It doesn't take any fanfic or shoehorning to connect them together, and that's pretty much the point of making them the way they've been made.

All those movies -- Iron Man 1, 2, and 3, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America:TFA, The Avengers, etc. -- are clearly coexisting within the same greater narrative and made by the same studio for expressly that purpose.

That is not the case with The Wolverine, the X-films, The Fantastic Four films, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Hulk, etc.

Those films did absolutely ZERO legwork towards establishing ANY sort of interconnectedness whatsoever. Each franchise exists as a standalone continuity. There was never even the barest suggestion made anywhere that they took place in the same universe or had anything to do with one another at all.

The Avengers and all the films tied directly to it were kind of a big deal for exactly that reason.

C'mon.

Which films actually belong in this discussion should be pretty clear to everyone by now.