Thread: The Heavy Thread. Deathcore, Black Metal, Metalcore and all things HEAVY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Absolutely agree. What about ex-gang members that turn thwir lives around and let themselves be a cautionary tale? They make money off of speaking engagements or books and have a platform. Should they not? John Lennon beat his wife but people still listen to The Beatles. These acts are clearly not 1:1, but they certainly share similarities.

I'm not giving any of my money to AILD, but it's a fine song.
    ex-gang members who turn their lives around and use that change to help inspire people (which i am all for) are very different from the vocalist of a band who tried to have his wife killed rejoining that band. is he using the music to caution others away from getting so fucked up that they contract a killer to eliminate their spouses? because if not, he doesn't deserve a platform that's going to get him fame and attention.

also, i don't listen to the beatles, largely because of that fact. no joke. i was never huge into the beatles, but as soon as i found that out about john lennon, i stopped voluntarily listening to them.

anyway, i'm not trying to tell you you're a bad person for listening to them, and i have no issue with you in general, i just wanted to talk this out!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    ex-gang members who turn their lives around and use that change to help inspire people (which i am all for) are very different from the vocalist of a band who tried to have his wife killed rejoining that band. is he using the music to caution others away from getting so fucked up that they contract a killer to eliminate their spouses? because if not, he doesn't deserve a platform that's going to get him fame and attention.

also, i don't listen to the beatles, largely because of that fact. no joke. i was never huge into the beatles, but as soon as i found that out about john lennon, i stopped voluntarily listening to them.

anyway, i'm not trying to tell you you're a bad person for listening to them, and i have no issue with you in general, i just wanted to talk this out!
    From what's been reported, Timmy is pursuing his Master's in social work which, while maybe not directly, could be considered using change to inspire people. Being their vocalist shouldn't mean he needs to write about the situation or speak specifically about it during shows. If he's doing stuff in the periphery to show he's changed and is trying to better himself/others, good for him.

I appreciate the back and forth here. No reason a difference of opinion should have to be any different.