Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Was there one guitar scene last decade that honestly felt like it was pushing music forward? almost every indie guitar group in the 00s felt painfully retro, White Stripes, Strokes, Arcade Fire, Franz Ferdinand, even the ones i liked such as Deerhunter, Autolux, they sounded like they could have been around in 1991.
    Rock music always harks back to the past, Soundgarden in the 1990s could have been from same period as the Grateful Dead, or Led Zeppelin, Oasis could have been around in the 1960s with The Who, Jesus and Mary Chain could have been from the same scene as The Velvet Underground.
    But last decade it felt like it was going too far, there were no new ideas and was all really stalling.
    Rock music does not seem to be moving forward in any form.
    I think the area where there is still a little hope is in the Metal, Drone, Noise sphere you still hear good sounds there, but none of it is earth shatteringly ground breaking.

Still love some new guitar music but its very few and far between.
    All the best music nowadays has a strong electronic influence in it.
    I agree with some of what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to call The Jesus and Mary Chain interchangeable with The Velvet Underground. They were actually a really diverse band. I've been listening to Honey's Dead a lot lately, and that album is awesome (and really nothing like Velvet Underground imo). Actually, while The Velvet Underground is probably a pretty obvious influence for them, I'd say the majority of Jesus and Mary Chain stuff is pretty dissimilar in mood and approach. The strongest commonality that would occur to me would be the stripped down lo-fi/raw sound of some of their recordings.

On the point regarding newerish bands that are doing nifty stuff with guitars... Worth mentioning that the Primal Scream albums Vanishing Point, XTRMNTR, and Evil Heat were doing some really original and interesting stuff with guitar "rock." It's too bad they strayed away from that.

Would Mr Bungle's California count towards the 00s?

And I would say there's some indie rock groups pulling out some new ideas with guitar based music. Try checking out The X-Ray Press album UVB-76. That came out last year, and I think it's pretty amazing. I was also really impressed and surprised by the new Mars Volta album.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I'm not taking it too seriously, I just think you come off as hostile sometimes, whether you mean it or not.
    I have just read through everything I've said in regards to this band, and I'm not finding this hostility. Could you point it out to me? If expressing a negative opinion is "hostile," then I would think most of the opinions offered in the "controversial music opinions" thread could be construed as being hostile.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-05-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I agree with some of what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to call The Jesus and Mary Chain interchangeable with The Velvet Underground. They were actually a really diverse band. I've been listening to Honey's Dead a lot lately, and that album is awesome (and really nothing like Velvet Underground imo). Actually, while The Velvet Underground is probably a pretty obvious influence for them, I'd say the majority of Jesus and Mary Chain stuff is pretty dissimilar in mood and approach. The strongest commonality that would occur to me would be the stripped down lo-fi/raw sound of some of their recordings. Actually, while The Velvet Underground is probably a pretty obvious influence for them, I'd say the majority of Jesus and Mary Chain stuff is pretty dissimilar in mood and approach. The strongest commonality that would occur to me would be the stripped down lo-fi/raw sound of some of their recordings.
    The early Mary Chain blew everyone away, to my ears them circa 1985 sounds like a combination of the Beach Boys, The Velvet Underground but with a Punk Influence too with The Ramones, early Cabaret Voltaire added in to the mix, when they hit they were huge and they came at a time in the 1980s when Indie bands were fascinated and strongly influenced by bands from the 1960s.
    In the same way many bands recently have been obsessed with the 1980s
    Groups like Spacemen 3, Smiths, early Stone Roses, Telescopes, and the Creation bands were totally obsessed with Love, 13th Floor Elevators, Pink Floyd feat Syd Barrett even early Primal Scream were extremely retro in their approach their early material is them trying desperately to sound like The Byrds.
    Mary Chain were obviously influenced by the distortion heard on White Light,White Heat, Heard Her Call my Name etc, the cool as fuck leather atire and image Lou Reed flaunted and all that, there are a few gentle Mary Chain tracks which sound extremely influenced by Loaded ,obviously them being 20 years later it sounds different, Honeys Dead was a different era in 92, totally different music scene by that point, that even has some dance beats on it, but at that time in the 80s many were all nostalgic over the 60s and were discovering the VU so i always have associated them with that retro scene somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    On the point regarding newerish bands that are doing nifty stuff with guitars... Worth mentioning that the Primal Scream albums Vanishing Point, XTRMNTR, and Evil Heat were doing some really original and interesting stuff with guitar "rock." It's too bad they strayed away from that.
    Primal Scream's Xtrmntr and Vanishing Point even them whilst being near masterpiece albums are heavily influenced by the 70's dub and Post punk scenes Shoot Speed Kill Light, Accelerator sound like (again) Cabaret Voltaire in 1979, Primal Scream and those records are a huge influence on many bands just starting out now, they are the most Bipolar of bands ever and go from being fucking awesome and one of the best bands on the planet to pantomime and utterly ridiculous like no one else.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Primal Scream's Xtrmntr and Vanishing Point even them whilst being near masterpiece albums are heavily influenced by the 70's dub and Post punk scenes Shoot Speed Kill Light, Accelerator sound like (again) Cabaret Voltaire in 1979, Primal Scream and those records are a huge influence on many bands just starting out now, they are the most Bipolar of bands ever and go from being fucking awesome and one of the best bands on the planet to pantomime and utterly ridiculous like no one else.
    Don't hear much Cabs in "Shoot Speed" or "Accelerator" myself. Kevin Shields' influence shines right through though. "Insect Royalty" is probably more Cabaret Voltaire inspired, though I think that influence is a lot more apparent on Evil Heat (which rounds out the Holy Primal Scream Trinity as far as I'm concerned).

And yeah, being a Scream fan is the weirdest experience ever. They've released some of the most innovative albums of the past couple of decades, but you wouldn't know it listening to the weakest 50% of their output. And I still haven't properly decided if Beautiful Future counts among their best or worst albums...

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post

And yeah, being a Scream fan is the weirdest experience ever. They've released some of the most innovative albums of the past couple of decades, but you wouldn't know it listening to the weakest 50% of their output. And I still haven't properly decided if Beautiful Future counts among their best or worst albums...
    Well, I don't like Beautiful Future, but it's not the worst thing they've done. No way does it come close to xtrmntr or evil heat though.