Thread: 1992 was 30 years ago--what were you up to?--likes, job/school, music, etc.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    1992 I was writing (mostly) weekly articles for the local newspaper. It's blurry and I don't even know if it'll link correctly but that's me. I forgot about that douche writing about actual news, like teens paid attention to that back then. Hah! as if! scoff!

I got the job after seeing an article in the classifieds (remember those?) and applying, sending in a writing sample after ~200 applicants were whittled down to a handful. Held the position throughout high school, got paid $10 an article and could write off video games and movie tickets on my taxes. It was great. That said, I went through my articles the other day (and honestly the only reason I'm writing this) and wow they were terrible. I'll have to get one uploaded at a readable resolution so you can all point and laugh.

Also that photo never changed. They didn't get better so I left it that way from 9th grade to 12th.

But going through the articles I can tell you that I was into SNES games, books (Atlas Shrugged* and Les Misérables are two that come to mind), movies, symphonies (seriously), concerts, and dinner theater. Hey, $10 an article.

*I need to get the Atlas Shrugged up just so you can see A) shit writing and B) shit opinions of fifteen-year-old me. holy hell it was a pain to read that again.

I wrote a review of a Rod Stewart concert (I won the tickets from the radio station and, again, $10!) and that actually got these ladies to write an opinion letter in response. Of course I kept that! One of the dinner theater troupes cut the article out and signed it to give to me the next time they stopped by.

And I'm going to have to explain that part, aren't I.

See, I grew up on a state National (?!) park. In the summer there were concerts and dinner theaters on alternating weekends so one weekend would be South Pacific and the next weekend would be a Doo-Wop concert with huge acts from the 50s/60s. I mean, can you say that Chuck Berry performed in your backyard?

Found this in a Tampa Bay Times article from 1996
    Doo-Wop Saturday Night is a festival of groups like the Dixie Cups, the Coasters and others from the '50s and '60s, held the third Saturday in July in Clifftop, W.Va.
    And of course it was cancelled because, as they hint at delicately, they started dying off.
    Last edited by allegate; 01-12-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    1992 I was writing (mostly) weekly articles for the local newspaper. It's blurry and I don't even know if it'll link correctly but that's me. I forgot about that douche writing about actual news, like teens paid attention to that back then. Hah! as if! scoff!
    Omg I worked with a lady for a long time who was born and raised in Beckley West Virginia!!

Oh, and I don’t remember wtf I was doing in 1992.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-13-2022 at 03:29 AM.