Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Year Zero Feels Super Relevant Again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Year Zero Feels Super Relevant Again

I loved Year Zero when it was released - I hadn't listened to it much in the last few years. Listened to it again yesterday, and the record seems acutely relevant again, given the current global political climate.

In fact, the totalitarian narrative of YZ seem even less dubious nowadays than in 2007.

I understand that the odds are always against such things, of course, so here's hoping it stays that way, and 2017 is in no way 'Year Zero!'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Capital G could easily be swapped out for Capital D OR Capital T.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Perhaps Trent will deliver his Year Zero sequel in 2017. HBO should revive the series now.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    Capital G could easily be swapped out for Capital D OR Capital T.
    You mean as in dreed or treed?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Make Year Zero Relevant Again

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    - Wait. Step into the light. How can this be ri-
    - WRONG!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    You mean as in dreed or treed?
    Yes, Capital G definitely stood for 'greed' and totally not the name of a specific person.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Let's just say, I didn't wear my Survivalism shirt on election day expecting it to come true...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Yes, Capital G definitely stood for 'greed' and totally not the name of a specific person.
    It was obviously a double meaning at the time the album came out but there's no way "you know who" was President in Year Zero's story as it takes place in 2022 so in context it definitely had to mean Greed.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 01-01-2017 at 10:42 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    It was obviously a double meaning at the time the album came out but there's no way "you know who" was President in Year Zero's story as it takes place in 2022 so in context it definitely had to mean Greed.
    Well yeah, but... It's not like Year Zero was strictly and exclusively telling a story of the world in 2022. It was clearly metaphorical for the state of the world at the time, in addition to how he thought it would be in 15 years. I don't doubt that it was meant to elicit thoughts of 'greed' in part, otherwise why not name it Capital B lol, but it seems disingenuous to say that it wasn't referring to Bush at all.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I could have sworn that Trent said it wasn't about Bush.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I tried to imagine how different letters would sound, frankly speaking, Capital G sounds most badass

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Eerily prophetic. it was supposed to be about 2017? and one of the plot points involved Scorsese's "Silence" which is out now, with Oscar buzz.

"God given" "survivalism" "capital g"
    That gum you like is going to come back in style

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    That album art of the wall dividing society between the rich and the poor really hits home now. Even if the wall never gets built, just knowing that so many people championed that idea is nothing short of disconcerting.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Year Zero and the start of the Shadowrun (NoDAPL tie-in) are my current fictional narratives for navigating this spacetime.

Also... the "How Long" video.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I've been thinking of trying to compile a live version of YZ. The album can feel very "straight" sequenced to me (if that makes sense) and some of the live renditions had more "depth" imho (the beginning of the end and meet your master were two of my live faves). I haven't even begun to try and audition multiple live takes. If anyone can recommend particular ones please do (or maybe I should just work off "a mix of all that ever was" then look at 2013 onwards )

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post

Let's just say, I didn't wear my Survivalism shirt on election day expecting it to come true...
    Wait, was that actually a shirt at some point or just a mockup? Because it's been a long damn time since I've bought a band shirt, but I would probably wear that.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Also: in light of the fact that the election may well have been decided by a combination of people being proud to be bigoted and being swayed by fake news on the internet and the spread of some damaging content via computer hacking, the chorus of Zero-Sum seems beyond appropriate.

Shame on us
    Doomed from the start
    May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Shame on us
    For all we have done
    And all we ever were
    Just zeros and ones

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Wait, was that actually a shirt at some point or just a mockup? Because it's been a long damn time since I've bought a band shirt, but I would probably wear that.
    You can purchase it on the US store here: https://store.nin.com/collections/cl...stance-america

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    You can purchase it on the US store here: https://store.nin.com/collections/cl...stance-america
    Sold out. Of fucking course it is. Maybe for the better; assuming shipping wasn't free it would've been over $30 for a t-shirt.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Year Zero has always felt relevant to me, even before all of the batshit insanity of the past couple years.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Sold out. Of fucking course it is. Maybe for the better; assuming shipping wasn't free it would've been over $30 for a t-shirt.
    Oddly enough, that's a shirt that's been on the site for quite a while (was made in 07/08, and has been available I believe at shows through the LITS tours, and then online at least off and on since then). It's one of the few non-tour shirts that has come out since 04 that I didn't own yet, but once the election bullshit started piling up, I placed my order.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it popped up on eBay every once in awhile, there are quite a few NIN shirts that show up on there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Holy shit it's been TEN YEARS since this album was released! What happened?!

I would seriously lose my shit if he released a sequel this year. Definitely appropriate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know it's a complete long shot but I am really hoping the NTAE "Physical Compnenet" has an easter egg leading back to year zero in some way. Even some of the songs on NTAE feel like they could be from the YZ universe as if they were indirectly related to the events of YZ. A side story. Not the actual events.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post

I'm definitely wearing mine on January 20th.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymad View Post
    I'm definitely wearing mine on January 20th.
    Do we have any idea what time these ought to ship? Ordered mine same day as all the reissues.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Oh, I don't know about new ones. I got mine in 2008.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Do we have any idea what time these ought to ship? Ordered mine same day as all the reissues.
    Ordered mine that day as well and I got the shipment notification email this past Friday.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Trent made Year Zero, Obama won.

Trent didn't make Year Zero 2, Trump won.

Not pointing fingers, but hey.