Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    so yea, back to the movie....has anyone seen it in both 70mm and digital yet? im gonna go to the digital soon with a friend who missed the roadshow.

so the picture should just be clipped on the edges im assuming? im curious about the differences.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    1) Pulp Fiction
    2)
    Reservoir Dogs (these two aren't highest b/c they're necessarily so much better than the others, but they signified a change in modern cinema)

3)
    Kill Bill
    4)
    Inglorious Basterds
    5)
    The Hateful Eight

6)
    Death Proof

7)
    Django Unchained
    8)
    Jackie Brown

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Saw it last night. Not my favorite of his but it does deliver everything you'd want of Tarantino.

It does drag a bit in the beginning but that's about the only negative i can say about it. It's beautifully shot, the score is good, the acting is top notch,
    There's something about the way this movie is shot, maybe it is the 70mm, since i did see it in a 70mm theater. There's something so good about that quality. Really, it's amazing. It's a damn shame we wont' see more of these types of films.

Definitely worth seeing in theaters.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Starts off really slow. But when it gets going, it gets going. I'd recommend it. Hopefully, this is the last of him doing civil war-based movies.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Wow @Rabbit no complaints about this being a Reservoir Dogs retread? I'm shocked!

Replace cabin with warehouse and gangster with rat and that's what you get.

OMG this film is going to stain the fabric of the cinema experience as we know it!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    due to the silly disagreement keeping this out of over half the cinemas in the UK I had to travel a few towns over to catch this with my dad (a late birthday treat for him).
    Well worth it. Tarantino's films are just made for the cinema, the intermission was good (more films need this!), I'm not sure how well it would stand up to repeat viewings, but it was great as an experience. Think I'm gonna have to go back to Django now and give that another watch.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i saw the 70mm twice and the second time was just as good if not better. going to see the digital once before it leaves theaters.

and i agree, the intermission was great.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Wow @Rabbit no complaints about this being a Reservoir Dogs retread? I'm shocked!

Replace cabin with warehouse and gangster with rat and that's what you get.

OMG this film is going to stain the fabric of the cinema experience as we know it!
    Do i really have to go into how this isn't even remotely comparable? Nice try though.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    is it time for me to post "40 plot holes in The Hateful Eight?" I mean, I liked the movie, I liked it a lot... but if Rabbit is dragging himself in here to talk about it, I have to brace myself for this thread becoming a form of special torture...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I don't know why people thought the beginning was "slow", I thought the dialogue was great and I think it was great that it went on as long as it did because when the violence did start, well it had an extra punch because I was pretty comfortable and relaxed at that point. If it starts out all guns out it has a different effect.

I over heard a lady wishing they would have warnings for when to shield their eyes and I of course was sitting there thinking "Isn't "Tarantino" enough of a warning for you?" Anyways, I loved how visceral it is. I don't think it was over the top violent, like the giant sword fight from Kill Bill, but it was definitely bloody and I'm not sensitized at all to this stuff, and Spoiler: I thought the story about the son sucking his cock was shocking for me. Doesn't mean I was offended by it all, but I definitely flinched and involuntarily closed my eyes and the likes, all while laughing too.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    i watched it a second time. it may be one of my favorite films of his. it seems so much more than his other films, the introspection is deeper, and an overall darker reflection of the current state of racial tension in america.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Loved it. Saw the roadshow version. Brutal and hard hitting.

I'll also give a shout out to Death Proof. I never got the hate for that either.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    i love tarantino, i even love death proof. hateful eight is the first film of his i've tried to watch multiple times and haven't gotten 45 or so minutes in without falling asleep or getting up to do house work. what the fuck?

i can't get past the habberdashery or however you spell it.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldopa View Post
    i love tarantino, i even love death proof. hateful eight is the first film of his i've tried to watch multiple times and haven't gotten 45 minutes in without falling asleep or getting up to do house work. what the fuck?
    maybe try and go to the theater and watch it the way it was meant to be watched instead of stealing it.

just a thought.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    fuck off. i acquired it.

cocksucker. it was meant to be watched at my house where i can smoke and drink freely.
    Last edited by ldopa; 01-12-2016 at 05:27 AM. Reason: "just a thought"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Lol, that's an appropriate reaction.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Saw it last night. Not my favorite of his but it does deliver everything you'd want of Tarantino.

It does drag a bit in the beginning but that's about the only negative i can say about it. It's beautifully shot, the score is good, the acting is top notch,
    There's something about the way this movie is shot, maybe it is the 70mm, since i did see it in a 70mm theater. There's something so good about that quality. Really, it's amazing. It's a damn shame we wont' see more of these types of films.

Definitely worth seeing in theaters.
    i watched it a second time. it may be one of my favorite films of his. it seems so much more than his other films, the introspection is deeper, and an overall darker reflection of the current state of racial tension in america.
    just a thought.
    yes, i'm still butt hurt at your snarky ass fuckwad unnecessary dumbass troll don't know shit about films or talking to people cause you're probably born in the 90's fucking comment. put me on your ignore list, pronto.

edit: there's a local theater in my parts that show 70mm films all the time. haha
    it is not a reflection of current racism in america, because the racism seemed to be pretty open in that film from what i saw. whereas, it's currently not.
    WHAT FUCKING INTROSPECTION?? IT'S A WESTERN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i'm drunk so i'm being a bitch, but i think i hate you.
    Last edited by ldopa; 01-12-2016 at 06:28 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldopa View Post
    just a thought.
    yes, i'm still butt hurt at your snarky ass fuckwad unnecessary dumbass troll don't know shit about films or talking to people cause you're probably born in the 90's fucking comment. put me on your ignore list, pronto.

edit: there's a local theater in my parts that show 70mm films all the time. haha
    it is not a reflection of current racism in america, because the racism seemed to be pretty open in that film from what i saw. whereas, it's currently not.
    WHAT FUCKING INTROSPECTION?? IT'S A WESTERN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i'm drunk so i'm being a bitch, but i think i hate you.
    stop acting like a child. get ahold of yourself.

and yes i changed my mind about the movie after watching it because it stayed with me and when watching it again i think it's one of his best. his skills as a writer and as a filmmaker shine here. it's hard hitting and on point.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Loved it. Saw the roadshow version. Brutal and hard hitting.

I'll also give a shout out to Death Proof. I never got the hate for that either.

My beef with Death Proof is that it was strong the first half, then it fell the second half. Plus it was shown with Planet Terror, which was more entertaining. I might have to pull it out of the Tarantino box set and re watch, but my feelings might stay the same.

But I must admit, I wasnt a fan of Inglorious Basterds till the 2nd time I saw it.

Hateful Eight should have won more awards, the dialogue alone was the best part of that movie.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    he got 'best original screenplay' i'm told, and dialogue is a very integral part of that. just a thought :P

any comments i make in here will end with "just a thought"
    suck it, rabbit.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    My beef with Death Proof is that it was strong the first half, then it fell the second half. Plus it was shown with Planet Terror, which was more entertaining. I might have to pull it out of the Tarantino box set and re watch, but my feelings might stay the same.
    I think the "double feature" presentation of Death Proof might have been part of the reason it was maligned. It was originally presented as if it was the second half of Planet Terror, and it doesn't make much sense that way. Even as a grind house double-billing, you probably wouldn't stick those two together. I still enjoyed it, but I disagree that the second half of Death Proof falls off... it changes gears in a way that I thought was amazing.

Then again, I actually didn't really love Planet Terror all that much. I know it's grind house, but it felt like the melting-dicks and castration-fascination became too meta and removed to feel authentic... and it really just hit me as being a little juvenile in its homage. Death Proof knocked it out of the park for me.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    i did not like death proof or planet terror the first time i watched it, which was the only time i watched it. maybe i'll give them another shot

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Saw this the other day. I liked it overall, but the beginning was a tad slow for me. Perhaps I need to see it when I'm less tired, but I dozed off for a few minutes during the first act. The payoff was pretty good though, as is the case with most Tarantino films. The score and acting were top notch. Morricone crushed it as usual.
    Last edited by Mr. Blaileen; 01-13-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I think the "double feature" presentation of Death Proof might have been part of the reason it was maligned. It was originally presented as if it was the second half of Planet Terror, and it doesn't make much sense that way. Even as a grind house double-billing, you probably wouldn't stick those two together. I still enjoyed it, but I disagree that the second half of Death Proof falls off... it changes gears in a way that I thought was amazing.

Then again, I actually didn't really love Planet Terror all that much. I know it's grind house, but it felt like the melting-dicks and castration-fascination became too meta and removed to feel authentic... and it really just hit me as being a little juvenile in its homage. Death Proof knocked it out of the park for me.
    Death Proof is by far the most out of the norm for Tarantino's films. I loved it. I also really really dug Stuntman Mike as a character, partially as Russell is a favorite actor of mine. As awesome cool and badass he was the quick transformation to a whining baby was enjoyable to see as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Saw it, really enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I enjoyed it, but most of QT's films since JACKIE BROWN have felt like a long collage of his personal fetishes instead of a story.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Watched it yesterday in a normal theatre and liked it, although I found it's tarantinoesque coolness a little too forced at times. I'm glad I managed to catch it in English though, which always pays off - especially with Tarantino movies.

i did not like death proof or planet terror the first time i watched it, which was the only time i watched it. maybe i'll give them another shot
    If you do so make sure to watch the stand-alone versions. Those are the ones I saw first and when I got around to watching the combined Grindhouse movie I was kind of let down because some of my favorite scenes are missing there. The fake trailers were funny, but don't make up for it.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    The insanely adorable yet fierce Zoë Bell makes everything better!
    She pretty much steals Death Proof in more ways than one (though I love seeing Kurt Russell hilariously emasculated in the 2nd half of that movie, almost playing the opposite of John Ruth). I was so glad to see her in "Hateful Eight" with a speaking role.

If you guys haven't yet watched this director's roundtable (feat. Tarantino, Ridley Scott, etc), the whole thing is great, but to skip to the 1 hour mark if you want a heart-melting anecdote about Ms. Bell (which totally explains QT's loyalty to her).
    Honestly, she's awesome enough that there's really no need for further explanation.

But thanks for the great link!

I haven't gotten to that particular anecdote yet, but I'm watching the whole thing and my favorite part so far is Ridley explaining how one ending of Blade Runner was kinda shot by Kubrick. Specifically, the part where I knew exactly what he was about to say but Tarantino had no idea, lol.

Annnd that's why I listen to almost every commentary track I can find.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Finally saw this movie again after catching the 70 mm Roadshow version at a beautiful theater in NYC.

Unfortunately, sneaking into repeat viewings was impossible there, so I only saw it the one time. Till now! RedBoxed the theatrical cut four days ago and haven't returned it yet, lol. Almost twice a day, every day, w00t. GOOD SHIT.

The only part that pisses me off is that Tarantino apparently plans to retire from filmmaking after just TWO MORE films. WTF?!? When you make movies THIS fucking good, you DO NOT STOP at just ten, you fucking make them FOREVER.

Come on, man.

</3