Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Steubenville trial and rape culture

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    In response to @substanceabuse

Okay, there are two problems here: the rape culture problem and the drinking culture problem.

TWO. DIFFERENT. PROBLEMS.
    Well no shit. Do you always come across as a pompous ass when you talk? I imagine that's very tiring for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Magtig
    Hang on, speedy, I know... they have a link. Hold. On.

Rape culture problem = blaming the victim, saying that person shares in the blame because they were irresponsibly drunk, wore tight clothes, walked in the wrong place, flirted too much, lead someone on, etc.

Drinking culture problem = kids drinking to excess.

Getting blackout drunk is not cool. Great. It increases the instance of rape. We all get that.

People getting raped is not cool. Great.

Still here?
    Yawn.

90% of this thread is about drinking too much.

10% (at best) is about the parts of our culture that excuse, apologize for, perpetuate, and side with the perpetrators of rape. We have next to nothing on a justice system that is so lopsided towards rapists it belongs in a third world country. Nor can I recall mention of an overall cultural trend to shun women who have been raped ("damaged goods"). It goes on and on. Any of these things I've just mentioned surely deserve at least as much mention as drinking, right? The "justice" system alone should have that much.
    Not one damned person, that I've seen, said those issues deserved less credit. This thread is labeled "STEUBENVILLE TRIAL and rape culture", so most everything I've been saying relates to THE STEUBENVILLE CASE and ones similar to it. On top of that, I've seen multiple posts relating to the harsher punishment of those found guilty of rape. The fact that alcohol played a HUGE part in these types of cases DESERVES a lot of attention, because it's one of the most important factors.

So here's what happened: someone got raped. Most of this thread is discussion involving drinking.

What I'm saying is that this puts the onus squarely on the rape victim by proximity of conversation, and not even intentionally in this case, but often in our big bad world, it IS intentionally.

In the case of any primary media outlet, yes I'd agree with you, but this is an internal discussion on an internet message board, and talking about things that HIGHLY relate to this case (and countless others like it) seems somewhat relevant to me.
    Last edited by hollowed_point; 03-29-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by substanceabuse View Post
    Not one damned person, that I've seen, said those issues deserved less credit.
    I never said anyone said these things deserved less credit. I pointed out that those issues have seen only about 10% of the attention.

This thread is labeled "STEUBENVILLE TRIAL and rape culture", so most everything I've been saying relates to THE STEUBENVILLE CASE and ones similar to it.
    I get that, but this thread originated in Random General Headlines and was at least a page long before it was separated. Additionally, most of the aspects of rape culture have received very little play in this thread (90% drinking, 10% other as I estimated).

In the case of any primary media outlet, yes I'd agree with you, but this is an internal discussion on an internet message board...
    Except that in this internal discussion on an internet message board, 90% of it is about drinking, and 10% is about all the other aspects of rape culture. So, really... you agree with me. Lol.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Well no shit. Do you always come across as a pompous ass when you talk? I imagine that's very tiring for others.
    Yeah, it's almost like he's about to do something condescending like rebut your next point by just saying "yawn."

Yawn.
    Touche...

On top of that, I've seen multiple posts relating to the harsher punishment of those found guilty of rape. The fact that alcohol played a HUGE part in these types of cases DESERVES a lot of attention, because it's one of the most important factors.
    It's one of the most important factors for people who want to derail this thread into a discussion about properly warning our children about how best to not get raped... which, in context, implies this victim did something wrong, and if only she'd been well enough instructed how to avoid making herself a vulnerable target of being gang raped while unconscious, this never would have happened. It's kind of insane that we've gotten to this point, and that the discussion has been dominated by points about the dangers of drinking, or whether or not we should even be talking about that.

In the case of any primary media outlet, yes I'd agree with you, but this is an internal discussion on an internet message board, and talking about things that HIGHLY relate to this case (and countless others like it) seems somewhat relevant to me.
    It's an internal discussion on a message board, yes, and you say this as though you have never heard of concepts like "derailing a thread." If you want to make a point about how girls should know to be careful not to get wasted in situations where they might get raped in the midst of this internet message board's internal discussion (that was previously focused on rape culture and how our media is playing along with it).... well, at least understand why some people think it's annoying.

Nobody is implying that kids should be irresponsible, but if you don't think this is an easy drift into something that has nothing to do with what we were originally talking about, you're joking. Because here we are.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai
    Yeah, it's almost like he's about to do something condescending like rebut your next point by just saying "yawn."

Really? You're chastising me for being condescending?
    This is what you took from my statement? This problem is more serious than I thought. We need to talk about another aspect of rape that gets vastly under-reported. As clearly evidenced in this thread rape can turn some men -and possibly even women- let's call them "non-rapees" into complete retards. In severe cases they may lose reading comprehension skills, and the motivation to think critically and with compassion.

Should I spoon feed your feeble little brains and copy and paste the posts I have made IN THIS THREAD advocating the need for personal responsibility? Can you stupid people at least stop typing until you've read this massive four pager? It's not 1980 anymore, update your goddamn social software.

You didn't add anything to this conversation. Neither did Digital Chaos. Not. One. Single. Thing. Nothing. Not at all. Zip. Zero. Zilchola! Everything you've said has been said before, but better, and by better people. (I was going to call you a retard again, but I figured it was strongly implied.)

And yes, that did definitely make me feel better.

/dickhole

Lord knows I've tried to set you two straight

In that regard you are a part of rape culture because even though you think it's awful and you don't believe in it, you're unwittingly contributing to that false cause fallacy.

of which I take particular offense to.

It's one of the most important factors for people who want to derail this thread into a discussion about properly warning our children about how best to not get raped... which, in context, implies this victim did something wrong, and if only she'd been well enough instructed how to avoid making herself a vulnerable target of being gang raped while unconscious, this never would have happened. It's kind of insane that we've gotten to this point, and that the discussion has been dominated by points about the dangers of drinking, or whether or not we should even be talking about that.

Really? You think I'm trying to "derail" this thread? I'm talking about issues that HEAVILY relate to the Steubenville case (and as I've said before, countless others like it) and I'm trying to derail the thread? I guess I missed the point of talking about this case from the get-go then.

I have stated COUNTLESS times how in no way do I believe the victim is responsible, but EMPOWERING kids with every bit of knowledge we can to protect themselves is vital! If it's insane to INSIST, in DIRECT correlation to sexual misconduct/violence, that we teach kids about alcohol/drugs and our responsibilities with them, then I'm certifiably nucking futs.

It's an internal discussion on a message board, yes, and you say this as though you have never heard of concepts like "derailing a thread." If you want to make a point about how girls should know to be careful not to get wasted in situations where they might get raped in the midst of this internet message board's internal discussion (that was previously focused on rape culture and how our media is playing along with it).... well, at least understand why some people think it's annoying.

Nobody is implying that kids should be irresponsible, but if you don't think this is an easy drift into something that has nothing to do with what we were originally talking about, you're joking. Because here we are
    As far as I've seen this thread was about Steubenville and cases similar to it (of which there are TONS). Rape culture worldwide as a broad stroke has been a side issue that is related to this case but doesn't contain all of the same factors. There's not any one, two, three, four, five, or TEN different answers that solve the WORLDWIDE culture towards rape, but that's how it is. There's never an easy answer.
    Last edited by hollowed_point; 03-29-2013 at 01:30 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. You took out all the bits where you were not reading stuff and misinterpreting everything. It's almost like you were begging for me to be a condescending dickhole. I mean, come on man, claim some personal responsibility here. You played a role in my dickness, you sexy not-reading minx, you.
    Last edited by Magtig; 03-29-2013 at 01:55 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Begging for you to be a condescending dickhole? I don't know that I've ever spoken with someone so full of themselves. Congratulations, you win. If you want someone to take responsibility for crapping on the carpet, let alone "playing a role in your dickness", don't finish your request by calling them your "sexy not-reading minx, you." You can fuck right off.

As I said, quite awhile ago, before you informed me of how invalid my opinion is,

All it takes is one smart decision to avoid being another statistic.

and I stand by that point. There is no true 100% prevention, but every single, tiny little bit helps, and if that means incorporating our desire to inform teens of the dangers of alcohol/drugs in DIRECT correlation to sexual misconduct/violence, I am 100% for it.
    Last edited by hollowed_point; 03-29-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)

Really? You think I'm trying to "derail" this thread?
    Who knows. All I'm saying is this thread has turned into what feels like a discussion about the ultimate point behind the movie The Accused.

...and I'm done.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    @substanceabuse Look, I'm not saying you're *totally* at fault, but you wandered into the bad part of the Stupidville thread where bad things happen, and now you need to accept that you have some measure of culpability in being dickholed to. It's undeniable, really.
    Last edited by Magtig; 03-29-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if it's been pointed out yet, but let's assume that personal accountability is unarguably important. If you're not sure of your environment, if you think you need to look out for yourself, if you think someone's going to take advantage of you, you won't drink so much. Maybe you won't drink at all. Ok.

This girl went to a party where the people there were people she knew. Her friends and classmates. They weren't "rape bros" at the time, they were some jocks from school. She thought she was safe. Had John Wayne Gacy or Myra Hindley been in attendance, had it been a college party when she was a highschooler, had it been a party that she had been coerced into attending "to look cool" (or whatever the fuck it is you Americans do with your weekends) she might have seen the signs to put down the bottle.

I hope this trial scares similar fuck-hungry/social-media frenzied teens into drinking less and thinking twice too. Yeah, LOL, you pissed on her and uploaded it to Instagram. Have fun with that 50 year old cellmate that's going to do that to you for the entirety of your jail sentence because seeing his father do that to his mother when he was a kid turned him into a violent criminal.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Steubenville trial and rape culture

Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post

I hope this trial scares similar fuck-hungry/social-media frenzied teens into drinking less and thinking twice too. Yeah, LOL, you pissed on her and uploaded it to Instagram. Have fun with that 50 year old cellmate that's going to do that to you for the entirety of your jail sentence because seeing his father do that to his mother when he was a kid turned him into a violent criminal.
    I'm not holding my breath. This thread has lasted longer then this conversation has in the US media. My fear is it'll take what happened to that girl on the bus in India, to happen in the US, for enough people to wake the fuck up.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Steubenville trial and rape culture

@substanceabuse , please engage discussion in a civil manner. There's no need to call people names.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    @substanceabuse , please engage discussion in a civil manner. There's no need to call people names.
    In all fairness, I only got ugly with my responses when magtigs first response to my first post was implying that 1. I'm retarded, 2. I have a tiny brain, and 3. I'm stupid. But at this point, I've said all I want to say, so I'm done.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    How would you (especally @Magtig and @littlemonkey613 ) go about conveying the importance of self-defense, situational awareness, etc? I fear that taming the message so that victims do not feel self-concious will lead to future victims not realizing quite how important or impacting it really is. At some level, you are trading future victims for mental/emotional health of existing victims. What level is acceptable, if any?
    My whole entire point is that this message does not depend on using words that imply someone will be held accountable for and answerable to a "mistake" if they do end up drinking, blacking out and then getting raped. You have this really strange way of understanding this topic and have created another weird artificial binary.

The other odd part of your question is that you still haven't admitted that you have a personal responsibility to educate your own child in detail about the nature of consent and what makes sexual assault, sexual assault. I don't believe you can convey the message you want to in any smart manner without doing this.

Any way, yeah "you have a personal responsibility to lower your risk" is not necessary in order to convey importance. Reality does that on its own. I just don't understand why you are married to that rhetoric. Your inability to move on from it tells me that you still don't understand how complex and deep the culture of shame and blame related to sexual assault goes and how many facets of the culture it effects.

In short I would teach a combination of my personal experience, what I've witnessed, a comprehensive education on the nature of rape and and consent, along with the importance of situational awareness and self-defense without using rhetoric that implies they will be held accountable if something were to happen to them.......is it really that fucking hard? You also need to start looking into why victims don't speak up. 43% of respondents in the data I showed you before told NO ONE about what happened to them. If you don't think this is related to a culture which creates future victims you're wrong. Further more, guess what many people who are victims of sexual assault are victims of sexual assault more than once, so once again the words you choose matter!

Telling people to look out for number one because it can't be sure that anyone else will does not depend on also telling them that they have a personal responsibility to lower and manage their risk of getting raped. Do you understand the distinction? One of them alludes to accountability if something were to happen to them....that notion of accountability is a KILLER when it comes to this issue.

Self preservation in relation to rape does not have to be inscribed with notions of duty and accountability in order to be a potent idea. Thats all I'm saying. There is enough at stake where we don't have to resort to that, so we shouldn't because of how it negatively effects this all anyways.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 03-29-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I think self defense for women (and everyone, really) should be a required course in grade school, high school and college. I actively teach my own romantic interests the self defense that I know. Women should be more than well aware of the statistics on rape including the where, how, when and who of it. I don't think anyone has ever said that this is not important.
    You don't think victims will feel shame if they get raped and feel like they dropped the ball on "the basic stuff that everybody gets taught in school these days"? I want to understand the apparent threshold that you guys seem to have defined.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    You have this really strange way of understanding this topic and have created another weird artificial binary.

Any way, yeah "you have a personal responsibility to lower your risk" is not necessary in order to convey importance. Reality does that on its own. I just don't understand why you are married to that rhetoric.
    It's not binary at all. Its a sliding scale between "intense message that drives the point home as efficiently as possible" and "so mild that nobody pays attention."
    You seem to be focused on some middle ground. Which is fine, if that's what you think is right. I just disagree. The target audience of a rape prevention message is not the victims, its potential future victims. I also don't belive in softening reality because it removes people's ability to make fully informed decisions.

You have this really strange way of understanding this topic and have created another weird artificial binary.

Any way, yeah "you have a personal responsibility to lower your risk" is not necessary in order to convey importance. Reality does that on its own. I just don't understand why you are married to that rhetoric.
    It's not binary at all. Its a sliding scale between "intense, real-world message that drives the point home as efficiently as possible" and "so mild that nobody pays attention."
    You seem to be focused on some middle ground. Which is fine, if that's what you think is right. I just disagree. The target audience of a rape prevention message is not the victims, its potential future victims. I also don't belive in softening reality because it removes people's ability to make fully informed decisions.

Telling people to look out for number one because it can't be sure that anyone else will does not depend on also telling them that they have a personal responsibility to lower and manage their risk of getting raped.
    I honestly see no difference between either statement. Anyone who isn't dumb as a rock is going to understand that "look out for yourself because you aren't garaunteed protection" implies "you need to to protect yourself and be aware of your environment to reduce your risks."

Do you really think a rape victim, who is going to be excessively introspective, isn't going to think about the things they could have done differently? Way to downplay people's intelligence. If I were a rape victim and people were talking to me like I was dumb, it would just be an insult.

This girl went to a party where the people there were people she knew. Her friends and classmates. They weren't "rape bros" at the time, they were some jocks from school. She thought she was safe. Had John Wayne Gacy or Myra Hindley been in attendance, had it been a college party when she was a highschooler, had it been a party that she had been coerced into attending "to look cool" (or whatever the fuck it is you Americans do with your weekends) she might have seen the signs to put down the bottle.
    Which is exactly why situational awareness and self preservation needs some focus. That is not the place to get blackout drunk. More people need to know this. Why didn't she seem to know? Did she know and just chose to ignore it? Why can't we tell other people that there are very very few locations they are safe once they have removed their capacity to be aware of their surroundings?
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 03-29-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    She thought she was in one of those very very few locations, that's the point. That's the whole fucking point of abuse. What would you describe as the safe locations? Around family members? When alone at home? Newsflash, rape occurs in those situations too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    I'm not holding my breath. This thread has lasted longer then this conversation has in the US media. My fear is it'll take what happened to that girl on the bus in India, to happen in the US, for enough people to wake the fuck up.

:/ Looks like it's getting closer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-21974375
    Last edited by icklekitty; 03-29-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It's not binary at all. Its a sliding scale between "intense message that drives the point home as efficiently as possible" and "so mild that nobody pays attention."
    This is a complete figure of your imagination. You don't see the difference between the two sentences that I laid out because you haven't read enough or heard enough in regards to rape culture, victim blaming and the culture of shame, something that is really evident. The phrase "personal responsibility" is the one I am attacking because it controls how you express yourself on the topic from the moment you frame it as such. Intensity of message and effectiveness is not dependent on that phrase and how you specifically have chosen to talk about this. I am calling out the way you specifically have chosen to talk about this because your rhetoric encompasses many problems within rape culture to begin with.

You've created a false spectrum based on your own limited understanding then placed what I am saying accordingly.

Your actually still not understanding what I'm saying........

Framing something as something they can be held accountable for and responsible for answering to, and framing something on the basis of self preservation , are not the same thing. If you still cannot tell the difference all I have to say is READ UP.

You need to stop thinking about this in terms of heinous individual acts and understand that this is all a part of systems of oppression. Your language does matter. You need to look up the culture we find ourselves in, one in which rape victims are held accountable for every thing they did before their assault, and be comfortable with these concepts as much as possible when you talk about this. It will not dilute your message or make it less potent if you're doing it right.

At my own school right now I am working on attacking my admin for creating a false notion of safety at fraternities in which so many students feel comfortable blacking out without proper warning of the risk, or any acknowledgement that the danger even exists. (The problem is faces are put on the risk which no one wants to do, ala rape culture..)

Your problem is you refuse to see how the kind of language you employ is functioning in the broader context of this debate, and I'm just trying to help you see that because I see the negative effects of that sense of accountability in my real life and its not pretty. We should be teaching on the basis of self interest not in terms defined by accountability.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 03-29-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    She thought she was safe.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS x a billion.

It's common knowledge that most people are raped by someone they know, and in many cases, trust. This is why "personal accountability" is such a red herring and conversation derailer. There is, in many cases, no special preparation anyone can undergo to prevent a rape. Also, this type of thinking is only a few steps away from: "women should wear a chador. Or how about a chastity belt?"
    The conversation has to be shifted - Zerlina Maxwell is right - to teach people not to rape.
    I grew up in a feminist household, was taught from a young age what rape is; there were books about rape on the shelves, and movies such as The Accused. It boggles the mind that not all kids are getting that kind of education. Why aren't they? Also, why is it that these guys feel that sex is something - almost an object - that women are withholding from them, and that they feel entitled to take, even with force? Why do they view sex as a conquest rather than a meaningful meeting of equals? Sex has become this horrible empty signifier of power and domination and status and hierarchy, and that's really sad.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. You took out all the bits where you were not reading stuff and misinterpreting everything. It's almost like you were begging for me to be a condescending dickhole. I mean, come on man, claim some personal responsibility here. You played a role in my dickness, you sexy not-reading minx, you.
    Look, I'm not saying you're *totally* at fault, but you wandered into the bad part of the Stupidville thread where bad things happen, and now you need to accept that you have some measure of culpability in being dickholed to. It's undeniable, really.
    Okay, I wasn't trying to be a dick with these posts, @substanceabuse and @DigitalChaos. I was trying to get you to look at this issue from a different perspective in a humorous way: that of the rapist, and his justifications (see, hilarious). In these two posts being a condescending dickhole is an analogue to rape. I assumed the role of the rapist to make a point. The other parts were meant to represent parts of rape culture: you were asking for it, you have some culpability, you were in the wrong part of Stupidville, etc.

I was attempting to point out that the thing about all of this personal accountability stuff is that it's the exact same argument(s) an actual rapist will use in an actual trial, because it puts the onus squarely on the victim. You share in the blame because x, y, z, f, u, so I should be set free/get a reduced sentence/etc.

Regardless of @substanceabuse being flat-back drunk on iRage at the time, I really have no excuse for losing my cool and being a dickhole.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    This is why "personal accountability" is such a red herring and conversation derailer. There is, in many cases, no special preparation anyone can undergo to prevent a rape. Also, this type of thinking is only a few steps away from: "women should wear a chador. Or how about a chastity belt?"
    Yep. Reminds me of this bit:

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I see the negative effects of that sense of accountability in my real life and its not pretty. We should be teaching on the basis of self interest not in terms defined by accountability.
    This really closes in on the issue for me. I see "personal responsibility" as a much closer phrase to "self interest" than "accountability." The only accountability is to yourself, when it concerns personal responsibility.

When did the meaning of "personal responsibility" start to move away from this? If this is the popular opinion of the phrase, it really explains a lot about society today (way way outside of the rape topic).

Am I reading you correctly? Is this where we are disagreeing? If so, I am curious how much deeper the divide on this interpretation runs. Is it a regional difference? political difference? etc
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 03-29-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ^ I guess it just comes down to the fact that it is pretty impossible to say a victim is not responsible at all for their attack if we also say that they failed when it comes to personal responsibility within the context of their rape situation.

For anyone whose interested I wrote another article because the "Hook-Ups" page I was talking about earlier has gotten a lot worse.

http://theinterlopersc.wordpress.com...ups-revisited/

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    For anyone whose interested I wrote another article because the "Hook-Ups" page I was talking about earlier has gotten a lot worse.

http://theinterlopersc.wordpress.com...ups-revisited/
    I've not read any of your other articles. I read this one and here is some commentary: Firstly, I find those type of people vile. They are basically horny douchebags straight out of Jersey Shore. That said, I take issue with two things.

#1 - I really don't see anything related to rape except MAYBE the inflating dick guy. Hard to tell with just the context given and their horrible english. It is way more headonistic than anything. Sure, they are obnoxious and full of themselves but the whole "scene" is that way to me. Both the males and females... which leads me to the second item...

#2 - You seem to focus on only the males. Most of the listed situations represented have females who are voluntarily participating in the situation. If this is "rape culture" then why don't the females get any attention from you for condoning and seeking out the environments and company of these types of men?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    #1: Look closer at #156. This is what I mean when I talk about educating people to look for a lack of consent. Nuances and implications of language.

#2 I think you need to reevaluate how you think about these "types of men". There is no environment at this school where they can be avoided. There is no social environment that is free from rape culture at this University.....Furthermore you act as if all predators wear it on their fucking sleeve or something. As if everyones like "hardy har gonna go hang out with people likely to rape me tonight."

I didn't know what constituted sexual assault until I experienced it multiple times at this school. We come in young and naive and are left to our own devices because the administration refuses to acknowledge the reality of the violence going on.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 04-02-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    #1: Look closer at #156. This is what I mean when I talk about educating people to look for a lack of consent. Nuances and implications of language.

#2 I think you need to reevaluate how you think about these "types of men". There is no environment at this school where they can be avoided. There is no social environment that is free from rape culture at this University.....Furthermore you act as if all predators wear it on their fucking sleeve or something. As if everyones like "hardy har gonna go hang out with people likely to rape me tonight."

I misread #156. I thought the girl was the one on the phone.
    And I'm specifically talking about your article which points out a pretty specific scene.

I didn't know what constituted sexual assault until I experienced it multiple times at this school. We come in young and naive and are left to our own devices because the administration refuses to acknowledge the reality of the violence going on.
    What is the administration going to do? It is going to take a LOT to stop this activity if you attack it any other way than educating the girls. I really don't see educating the guys going anywhere with a group like that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The problem is its not an isolated group of ass holes. This is the kind of thing is normalized behavior to the n'th degree. I mean my personal goal is so meager and sad it just involves the school acknowledging officially that it has a rape problem. As of now no one who acts like this feels like there will be any consequences because there are no consequences from anyone. It's a viscous cycle of copycat behavior. I agree with you that the danger won't go away over night and that's why I want the school to acknowledge that it is unsafe for students based on what I see (which I'm in the process of documenting officially). They made me believe I was safe and that if I didn't blackout or lose my inhibitions I would be fine.

However, an uneven focus on the girls will do nothing. The two things go hand in hand. In order to lay out the danger they have to point out the danger. The latter is where their true refusal lies.

One of my friends (whose blog I posted earlier) was raped by a fellow student and has 2 recorded confessions. They are saying its not valid evidence. Today she had a meeting with the judiciary discipline at the school and they told her "We only accept good people here." He's still on campus living normally. They also actually said "We don't function like a courtroom." As in, what's evidence there in a more logical system is not evidence here. Ugh.

.... So she wrote an op ed and is sending it to every publication and is going to sue the school. (Lucky for her her mother is a really famous lawyer and author.)
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 04-02-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    That school is ridiculous. It really doesn't matter how they want to operate though. Fuck em and bring them into the legal system. They aren't a sovereign entity.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Michael Arrington, TechCrunch founder and one of the big names in Silicon Valley, is becoming part of the national conversation on rape: http://gawker.com/5993695/techcrunch...-investigation

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    This is so sad ...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    That school is ridiculous. It really doesn't matter how they want to operate though. Fuck em and bring them into the legal system. They aren't a sovereign entity.
    Ms. Mag picked up on the story. Awesome.

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/04/10/outing-a-rapist/