Thread: The Netflix Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    i never watched Mad Men when it was broadcast. Been on binge. It's pretty good for the most part. More of a horror movie than anything else.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    i never watched Mad Men when it was broadcast. Been on binge. It's pretty good for the most part. More of a horror movie than anything else.
    Nice.

I think Mad Men might be my favorite show of all time.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Nice.

I think Mad Men might be my favorite show of all time.
    My Mom couldn’t watch that show because she realized she had some kind of PTSD from having been a secretary from right out of high school in 1956 (until she retired in 2003), that the patriarchy and sexual harassment etc. is totally factual, even watered-down from actual reality of that period.

I was in Advertising for many years, and the epic levels of drinking (also depicted in Augusten Burroughs’ “Dry”) was also factual.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-19-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    My Mom couldn’t watch that show because she realized she had some kind of PTSD from having been a secretary from right out of high school in 1956 (until she retired in 2003), that the patriarchy and sexual harassment etc. is totally factual, even watered-down from actual reality of that period.

I was in Advertising for many years, and the epic levels of drinking (also depicted in Augusten Burroughs’ “Dry”) was also factual.
    Yeah, exactly, I love that they don't try to sugar coat the time period.

And I think I mostly just love the show because it feels like one of the most subtle and "literary" tv shows ever made. I almost wonder if they'd have a hard time making this show if they were doing it today. We might still be in the "golden age of tv" or whatever, but I feel like things have already shifted somewhat, where everything has to be pretty plot driven and exciting in order to be successful. Mad Men was a show entirely focused on exploring the layers of characters, and I kinda wonder if the time for that style of TV is passing.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Yeah, exactly, I love that they don't try to sugar coat the time period.

And I think I mostly just love the show because it feels like one of the most subtle and "literary" tv shows ever made. I almost wonder if they'd have a hard time making this show if they were doing it today. We might still be in the "golden age of tv" or whatever, but I feel like things have already shifted somewhat, where everything has to be pretty plot driven and exciting in order to be successful. Mad Men was a show entirely focused on exploring the layers of characters, and I kinda wonder if the time for that style of TV is passing.
    I’m totally addicted to “The Handmaid’s Tale” on Hulu and I was watching a recent interview with Elizabeth Moss and she said the same thing, that she doesn’t think there’d be a “Mad Men” now.