Thread: NIN Confessions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    i don’t know. maybe age, maybe that it’s been a rough year and i can’t really get hyped about something like this right now, even as a distraction. it’s puzzling to me, too.
    I've listened to the record but I know EXACTLY what you're talking about and I do think age is part of it.

Shit, these days, when most albums come out (edit:in general, i don't mean most nin albums,) I listen to them once, kind of like watching a movie.

I avoided that with this trilogy by having whichever one was current play every time I drove the car. And that way, I managed to get hyped.

But yeah I read and have mentioned a few times this scholarly study that suggests that we stop getting very excited about new music at exactly 33.5. (Not everyone, but a LOT of people.)

I think it happened to me, maybe a little later.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-29-2018 at 06:24 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

But yeah I read and have mentioned a few times this scholarly study that suggests that we stop getting very excited about new music at exactly 33.5. (Not everyone, but a LOT of people.)

If that's true, I've got about 10 more years of hopefully staying hyped for everything NIN releases and the soundtracks TR&AR release.

I'm hoping they dont slow down. And now dreading the day I wont be hyped up by new music. Alas, my hype for movies disappeared already and I'll be sad when my music hype does too.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I've listened to the record but I know EXACTLY what you're talking about and I do think age is part of it.

Shit, these days, when most albums come out (edit:in general, i don't mean most nin albums,) I listen to them once, kind of like watching a movie.

I avoided that with this trilogy by having whichever one was current play every time I drove the car. And that way, I managed to get hyped.

What you said just reminded me of something I've been thinking about regarding music and age for quite some time. It's also very interesting to see that not only did the study end up with 33.5, but it definitely cited the 30s.

Now, while I'm aware that actual music enthusiasts for life exist, I've always noticed that the majority of people tend to like music from their childhood, adolescence and even their 20s, but even with that it seems to be under the age of 25 most of the time. And in most cases, there's a lot of people that also like music before they were born too.

Ages 17-25 also seems to be around the oldest ages for the youth and music in their time. I also like how this also extends to other interests such as TV shows, movies, video games and even books.

This isn't, and I'm sure you'd completely agree, to say that nobody can be into things beyond their time, just like how it's also okay for people to be into things before their time, but as far as the majority/norms stand(s), it really is what it is.

Now to get this back to NIN, it's why and even aside from ETS and the like, that I've always noticed that so many NIN fans were born in the 1970s and 1980s. Most of the oldest fans I've meet and seen were born around the early 1970s to the early 1980s. Should they be younger, they were at the very least teenagers when The Fragile or With Teeth came out. And now, I have seen more people as old as Broken that love NIN now. Most fans born in the 1990s are at least older than The Downward Spiral, and if not, they were definitely older than The Perfect Drug. I still don't really see any NIN fans born in the late 1990s and early 2000s, and if I did, which I have on here and Provider Module, they were still very much in the minority. The biggest exceptions I've seen so far was seeing parents bring their kids to the NIN concert I attended and Radio City Music Hall. I'm not a parent, but damn, was that such a kick-ass thing to do, since great memories really stick for life at those ages. (Most of them looked like they were at least around 9-12 anyway. Who knows, if they end up following NIN just like all of us, then perhaps we just might see them post here if they ever come across ETS later on in life.)

Interestingly enough, @Steven let me know that perhaps it's because NIN didn't really have that whole "household name" thing going on for quite some time. I somehow didn't even consider that. I figured that the success of The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth was also ready more than enough to have turned NIN into a household name, but I still sometimes forget to look at NIN at other angles than ETS. Then again, it seems like any other aspects of NIN, I'd figure that even "household name" status would be debatable depending on who you talk to.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-02-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    Interestingly enough, @Steven let me know that perhaps it's because NIN didn't really have that whole "household name" thing going on for quite some time. I somehow didn't even consider that. I figured that the success of The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth was also ready more than enough to have turned NIN into a household name, but I still sometimes forget to look at NIN at other angles than ETS. Then again, it seems like any other aspects of NIN, I'd figure that even "household name" status would be debatable depending on who you talk to.
    The more I think about it, the more I realize that with other big bands from the time NIN was exploding (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Sound Garden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, Weezer, Blink 182, etc) they were a lot more straightforward in terms of image, sound, and message than NIN ever was. I think that's because NIN had such radical artistic changes from album to album, different members coming in and out, (and not trying to sound pretentious but I feel this is true) - more thoughtful, deep musical themes that don't make for really going out and listening to it in public with your friends. Like are you going to put on Mr. Self Destruct or Happiness In Slavery on in the car with your friends? NIN just has always been a dark, challenging, mysterious band in many ways. And I love that, more than ever it is apparent that TR and company aren't stuck in the past or overly nostalgic like those other bands are.