Thread: Nintendo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
    Totally disagree here. The Wii outsold all of Nintendo's older consoles and was their biggest success. Only the hardcore gamers complained about the Wii while games like Wii Fit and Wii Sports were huge hits. On the gaming messageboards they always bitch and moan about the Wii's success. So if anything, I'd say the Wii was their last brilliant console and everyone hates it for god knows what.

I hated the N64, that's ultimately where they screwed up with me. The controller was uncomfortable, and stuff like Mario and Donkey Kong certainty didn't mold well at all in the 3D form. The only staple series of Nintendo that made it well in 3D was Zelda. The fetch quest, collect-a-thon games have zero replay value. There was a few games I liked on the N64, but the library for the SNES and Wii was much better.
    SNES is the best console they've ever released. N64 was the best cartridge driven system and the Gamecube as I stated, was the most underrated console ever released that was great.

As for the Wii, I don't give a rat's ass about motion controls. It's gimmicky "Get active and fit by playin' vidya gamez" schmaltz. I really don't wanna play Donkey Kong Country Returns with a Wii Remote to aim DK around the level. Too much effort for too little action to be done. Besides the core franchise titles of Mario, Metroid Prime, Zelda and Donkey Kong the system gets absolutely zero support from third party developers. I love said titles, but not enough to justify buying a Wii. The Wii U is comparable to the PS3 and Xbox 360 in terms of power and titles. It's a bit dated for being 8th generation. Nintendo just doesn't do anything for me now. I am not opposed to more family friendly and kids titles but if they made a system that stacks up and has the support and a normal controller (that you don't have to buy after the fact), I'll happily buy Nintendo products.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    SNES is the best console they've ever released. N64 was the best cartridge driven system and the Gamecube as I stated, was the most underrated console ever released that was great.

As for the Wii, I don't give a rat's ass about motion controls. It's gimmicky "Get active and fit by playin' vidya gamez" schmaltz. I really don't wanna play Donkey Kong Country Returns with a Wii Remote to aim DK around the level. Too much effort for too little action to be done. Besides the core franchise titles of Mario, Metroid Prime, Zelda and Donkey Kong the system gets absolutely zero support from third party developers. I love said titles, but not enough to justify buying a Wii. The Wii U is comparable to the PS3 and Xbox 360 in terms of power and titles. It's a bit dated for being 8th generation. Nintendo just doesn't do anything for me now. I am not opposed to more family friendly and kids titles but if they made a system that stacks up and has the support and a normal controller (that you don't have to buy after the fact), I'll happily buy Nintendo products.
    I loved the motion control on Wii Sports, but I never used it on the platformers much. If you want to play DKC Returns without motion controls, I highly recommend the 3DS version of it but then again the 3DS is like giving you the middle finger if you have eye problems. The 3D stresses my eyes out and gives me headaches. I play games to have fun though and I had loads of fun with the Wii.

The N64 failed me cause all it was about at the time was graphics and the gameplay element got shoved back. The selling point of it was about seeing Mario, Link, and Donkey Kong all in this glorious 3D that was supposed to make the games so much better. It failed for me. The Castlevania game was a huge let down cause it's hard to imagine Castlevania not in 2D IMO, I have this opinion because I grew up with Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania III on the NES. That's also my main issue with Super Mario 64. I never liked that game, it did not feel right to me since Mario was always in 2D and all of a sudden you're collecting stars in every map. The only game that seemed to mold fantastic in 3D was Zelda, even though I could argue that Ocarina of Time is overrated.

I wasn't big on the Gamecube. The Zelda game on it was weak, Mario Sunshine was extremely weak, Luigi's Manson, meh. Nintendo's obsession with making 3D games hit the boiling point there for me. The only two series that haven't been ultimately screwed up seems to be Fire Emblem and the Pokemon games (yes I play those! Not embarrassed to admit it!)

I believe that the console is just something that we buy in order to get the games. We buy Nintendo products to get to Mario and Zelda. The SNES did a wonderful job selling due to strong games, and yeah I agree with it being the best (mostly cause I grew up with it of course!). Those Pokemon games have been selling the handheld Nintendo products for a very long time, people are buying the 3DS now in order to get to X/Y.

I'm not sold on the Wii U by any means. I see it more as a cheapened version of the Wii cause there is nothing good on it so far and that Gamepad controller scares the shit out of me. Everything on it is either sequels to older games, or it's a remake (out of all the Zelda games to remaster and update, they choose the one that everyone hates the most). The Super Mario World edition on the EShop is the most popular game on it so far, and that explains everything. The Xbox 360 is outselling the Wii U at this point, and that is incredibly sad. I don't get how it's superior to the Wii at all. The Wii was a mega success, where Wii U is barely selling at all and has been a huge disappointment so far when comparing sales.

Wii had Wii Sports and Wii Fitness to boost it's sales, and that's why people bought it when it first came out. Wii U has Metroid: Other M, Wind Waker, and Super Mario 3D World. People aren't buying it despite it having so many third party games. People buy Nintendo to play Nintendo, and right now they have yet to make anything mind blowing awesome that makes you want to spend money to buy it.

If Nintendo had another Wii Fitness type game and used that to sell the Wii U, I'm sure it would help the sells dramatically. Of course, choosing titles such as the one Zelda game everyone hates the most don't help at all. Sure a lot of people claim to love Wind Waker today but the sales prove otherwise. The Ocarina of Time 3D version helped sell the 3DS greatly since it is so loved.

I want to see Nintendo go back to it's roots and get rid of all the obsession with 3D: Stop making Mario games in 3D where you have to find the stupid star, turn Metroid back into a maze based game you can get lost in instead of focusing on a stupid storyline (Or better yet hand the series over to Retro or any other studio since Sakamato has no clue wtf he's doing), and finally, give Zelda to a better studio that wants to go back to roots gameplay of a maze based overworld and RPG elements rather than the usual Aonuma style puzzle fests that got old and boring in Majora's Mask.

When they released the "New Super Mario Brothers" on the DS it shot the sales through the roof and everyone wanted a DS after that. Yet Nintendo is so obsessed with making the 3D Mario games, now they barely put any time and energy into the 2D games, they feel weak and recycled. NSMB and Yoshi's Island on the 3DS suffered greatly from this. They know it sells, but they don't want to make that, they rather make the 3D based Mario that the market has rejected for a while now.

Retro did an amazing job with Donkey Kong Country Returns. It actually felt like a DK game, and had all the right elements of what made the DKC series so great, especially the music. I'm sure they would do an awesome job with 2D Mario, classic style Zelda, and Metroid if Nintendo allowed them to.