Thread: The Voice, The Chairman of the Board, Ol' Blue 'Eye--Frank Sinatra

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    No but I'm going to have to go steal my Mom's HBO or try HBO NOW, thanks!

18 ways to celebrate Frank's 100th Birthday.
    Bought the blu-ray. Definitely something I'd watch again and again over the years. They talk about Hoboken in the 1920's and 1930's with all the racial tensions, and what life was like during the deppresion, then they move on to Frank' early career, when he was a teen idol in the 1940's (he was as big as the Beatles would be with youth, 20 years later). They cover his career crashing and his comeback in the 1950's and work into the 60's+. Lots of interesting information about his relationship with JFK and how Sinatra allegedly got his mob buddies to get the Unions to go for Kennedy. They talk about how Sinatra was considered a communist sympathizer and even told generals at the Pentagon to "stick the Korean War up your ass," when they questioned his loyalty to the U.S. when he wanted to entertain the troops. Lots of interesting stuff about his marriages and family, hatred of racism, womanizing, philanthropy, switching political parties, etc.

It's an extremely well made documentary about a fascinating man during a fascinating time, spanning nearly the second half of the 20th century.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-01-2015 at 01:55 PM.