Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: The Brett Kavanaugh shitshow - ELECTION DAY IS NOVEMBER 6TH

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    look i am so tired of feeling triggered angry about shit like this want to go into a state of suspended animation until this whole era is done just tired of seeing the gop run roughshod over everything that is decent. thank god pot is leagle here it'd my only defense. look I'm a white guy it shouldn't matter. just seeing how bad our system is being abused is frustrating. look i wish i didn't have an empathy gene but unfortunately i do. look try to volunteer for justice democrats they're progressives who don't take PAC money, i feel like we're moving into year zero and no one gives us fuck, i hope i can mantain my sanity until we can see something close to normal again until then " I love you sweet leaf"
    -louie

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It's official. Kavanaugh is now confirmed for the Supreme Court. Trump will be signing off on it later today.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...D=ansmsnnews11
    Last edited by Demogorgon; 10-06-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    We are now officially fucked. The only thing left for us to do now is vote blue in November.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I hate everyone who supports this shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

The Brett Kavanaugh shitshow - ELECTION DAY IS NOVEMBER 6TH

Gotta get those kids who complain about all this off twitter and into the polls.
    Last edited by Conan The Barbarian; 10-06-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    can only hope this motivates people for November, but i doubt it
    -louie

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    can only hope this motivates people for November, but i doubt it
    -louie
    Pessimism gets us nowhere. Remember the year of the woman after Anita Hill. Remember that we can change a LOT in a month.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Pessimism gets us nowhere. Remember the year of the woman after Anita Hill. Remember that we can change a LOT in a month.
    Yep. I don't think anyone is done fighting Kavanaugh just because he is now confirmed. I think it's possible that should Democrats gain enough power back, and if we somehow get a Democrat elected in 2020, there's room to go in and impeach Kavanaugh from the Supreme Court. Hell, they may even find a way to nullify Gorsuch too, since his was such an unconstitutional nomination.

Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but I don't know man I cant just fucking sit here and think about all the shit that can go so wrongly with Kavanaugh on the court. You gotta try to think of all the things that can be done still to rectify this. And also daydream about all of the fucking razor sharp shade that RBG is going to throw at that motherfucker.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    fuck Joe Manchin.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    we are so fucked. the only positive is this could be another weapon to get the republicans back to the fringe where they belong if they have to exist. the corporations are in rape & pillage mode. the huge 1 i work for just announced how they are screwing us on the medical insurance. same day amazon announced about how they are raising minimum wage in their distribution centers to an amount that still isn't really a livable wage. what was kept in the background is they are taking the money from other workers. the stock market went way up the next day. coincidence? i think not. with the supreme court shit, we are now at rollerball (the original). not to mention what germany was trying to do pre WW2. sad & scary days with more to come.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Merrick Garland is so fucking ethical that he has recused himself from overseeing the ethics complaints against Kavanaugh, presumably (though not publicly stated) due to the conflict of interest involved in overseeing complaints about the guy who stole his job.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i think something that has been lost is kav's, strong corporate leanings and what it means for getting money out of politics while i feel very strongly about women's right i am more concerned that only the rich and well connected are the only ones that have a say in our government this was clear in the protest, where our elected officials shunned protesters and ran to hide, this is not right, is the only way to talk to my representative to 60k plus to go to some dinner. that's now way to run a country especially one that supposedly pride itself on democracy. sad times
    -louie

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    i think something that has been lost is kav's, strong corporate leanings and what it means for getting money out of politics while i feel very strongly about women's right i am more concerned that only the rich and well connected are the only ones that have a say in our government this was clear in the protest, where our elected officials shunned protesters and ran to hide, this is not right, is the only way to talk to my representative to 60k plus to go to some dinner. that's now way to run a country especially one that supposedly pride itself on democracy. sad times
    -louie
    I've long ago abandoned hope that in my lifetime I'll feel like I live in a democratic society. This is an oligarchy through and through. Has been since before this administration and it's only getting deeper entrenched as such. Maybe some day it'll change, but for now, I have no reason to think it will - even if there's a "blue wave".

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Gotta get those kids who complain about all this off twitter and into the polls.
    Good luck with that. We just had our provincial election here in Quebec and we had one of the lowest turnout (66%) all while we had the higher number of people complaining on facebook and stuff.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 10-07-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    That's what happens when almost an entire generation reaches young adulthood believing that arguing and complaining on social media counts as political activism.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    It REALLY sucks that there was no way to corroborate Ford's story.

I believe her. BUT, I mean, I hate to say this, but I understand why people were skeptical. Hell, I was skeptical until I saw her speak. She's either telling the truth or is a fucking MKULTRA Manchurian candidate (That being said, with the extreme tribalism, I doubt a fucking VIDEO of the incident would have changed the opinion of the fascists...I mean Nazis...sorry, REPUBLICANS. THAT'S it.)

We're in trouble, y'all.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    To not exercise your right to vote is asinine. Though I have little faith in the majority of humans to even realize that literally thousands of years have passed between civilizations in human history without any right of representation within their governance. Nobody has any fucking stance to bitch or even say one goddamned word when they are eligible and yet fail to exercise that right.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

I believe her. BUT, I mean, I hate to say this, but I understand why people were skeptical. Hell, I was skeptical until I saw her speak. She's either telling the truth or is a fucking MKULTRA Manchurian candidate (That being said, with the extreme tribalism, I doubt a fucking VIDEO of the incident would have changed the opinion of the fascists...I mean Nazis...sorry, REPUBLICANS. THAT'S it.)

We're in trouble, y'all.
    i very sure the could have rameriraz cold have FBI talk to less then half the people that were trying to contact them. from what I read 20 reached out to them they talk to 9 i believe this was a total ram through day one. i guess the turtle McConnell told trump to pick
    someone else but trump as usual thought he was his get out of jail free card the dean of Yale law called it an American
    -louie

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

We're in trouble, y'all.
    I believe her, but that aside, Kavanaugh's behavior during the hearing, and lying, should disqualify him from the Supreme Court.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Man...I feel like something has broken inside of me from all of this.

The incredible amount of harm and oppression that this supreme court is going to inflict upon this country is going to be horrific. This has all come from a political party built on an ideology of violent white male dominance combined with totally unlimited corporate supremacy. They do not care one bit about democracy, which is why they have illegally seized power through gerrymandering, abolishing the VRA, hacking, voter suppression, collaboration with foreign governments, etc. They don't give a flying fuck about the law, they simply want power by any means, and once they get it, they just rewrite all the rules and entrench themselves even deeper. The Republicans are essentially an insurgent party that has stolen every branch of our government, and now that they have an unlimited amount of power, they will continue pillaging our society.

And I'm fucking sick and tired of weak liberals who don't have the strength or the brains or the moral integrity to stand up and wage open warfare like they're supposed to. Where is their capacity for pain and outrage? Why are they incapable of producing the kind of aggression and urgency that this historical moment demands? Instead they just sit on their assess and passively legitimize all of the corruption, the violence, the nightmare. And all of this is done out of some horrifically misplaced notion of "fairness," as if the Republicans are a legitimate political party and we need to take them seriously. The only legitimate support that this party could scrape together from the public was obtained through propaganda and conspiracy theories. I mean, Trump first built his career as a Birther, and yet they just allow all of this fucking shit to continue. They've handed our government over to these fucking freaks and they don't seem to care what happens or who gets hurt.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

We're in trouble, y'all.
    I follow you. But here's the thing: I get why people *were* skeptical before details started coming out. Before testimony occurred. Before people were coming out left and right saying "hello, FBI, we'd like to have a word with you involving this (so-called shame of an) investigation". If you're STILL skeptical about it...well, fuck you.

But like you said, even IF you don't believe her, his CURRENT behavior is 100% proof that he is blatantly and utterly unqualified to serve on a fucking tennis court, let alone the Supreme Court.

And the more I think about it these days, "Supreme Court" and "Supreme Leader" are sounding too similar. It's creepy.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

We're in trouble, y'all.
    There is no doubt in my mind that she's telling the truth. The only people who are "skeptical" are people who want to be skeptical. And why do they want to be skeptical? Because they're Trumpers, and ultimately they don't care. What the GOP did is say "OK, even if he did all that, enacting our agenda is more important." They basically said the conservative agenda is more important than caring about rape, which is consistent with their politics in general.

What amazed me is the amount of conservatives, of republicans coming out saying "No, this is despicable: I agree with Kavanaugh's politics, but he's completely unsuitable for this job" - this shows us how far gone the GOP and Trump are. We've gone over the cliff a while ago and now we're in freefall.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    even jordan peterson think Kavanaugh's appointment is inappropriate

as they say on the internet, let that sink in

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    With the FBI report "clearing" Kavanaugh (and i say that with huge sarcastic air quotes), it's not a surprise to me that Trump is super happy with Rosenstein after all: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...D=ansmsnnews11

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Technically, Gorsuch stole his job.

But the real problem, here, is people putting POWER over people.

G and I were paying a bill at the marina in Wisconsin the other day and a dockmate was there, and he's a really nice guy but he's a kinda stereotypical Chicago Italian and he is admittedly right-wing (primarily relative to paying too much taxes in Chicago), so he blurts something to the effect of "Well, Kavanaugh did this when he was 17, but that was a long time ago, so I dunno ..." and I said (trying not to get too political with dockmates that you have to live near every fucking day in what amounts to a floating expensive trailer park), "well, I guess legal experts' biggest problem isn't what he did when he was 17 but how he handled himself during the hearing" ...

and this woman over on the other side of the counter, a boat owner I do not know, have never seen in my life, LUNGES forward onto the counter, with this look on her face I will NEVER forget, this ANGER, and she yells at me, "WELL, ISN'T HE ALLOWED TO DEFEND HIMSELF?!?!?!"

And I remained calm and said something like, "well, in law, it's pretty stiff, like really really old-fashioned stiff, and that hearing was really a job interview ..." and then Tony says, "Yeah, that's really true, I can see where they're coming from ..."

And this woman on the other side of the counter rolls her eyes, slams her hands down on the counter, huffs loudly, and walks off to the ladies room.

So I look over at Tony's wife, Debbie, standing next to me, and she's smiling, like, wtf, and I say, I was in law for a long time, law is, like, dude, totally anal retentive, if a lawyer went to an interview and answered a question with "DO YOU DRINK BEER?" they for sure wouldn't get the job.

So, here I was, being AS NON-POLITICAL AS I POSSIBLY COULD BE IN THIS SITUATION, and this woman still had a fucking breakdown defending Kavanaugh.

A FEMALE!!

It was really disturbing. I said to G this morning, what if I'd been a victim of sexual assault? Do these pro-Kavanaugh people who go around trying to look at "his side" of things ever think about whom they're talking to? Who this is triggering? Do they have ANY empathy for anyone besides him? They think only of his family and him? Dude, he wasn't going to PRISON. The worst that could happen to him is that HE'D LOSE A POTENTIAL JOB. Big fucking deal.

Meanwhile, people across the country, primarily women, are yet again being told that this shit don't matter. MY HUSBAND has been way more upset about this than me, for weeks. I just kept saying, you know, what's gonna happen is that he's gonna get confirmed, because that's what always fucking happens in this country.

Although, I do see a lot of positives from this. I see that a woman was able to testify, respectfully. I see that an FBI investigation DID happen. Sure, it wasn't the extent that everybody wanted, but even a really big FBI investigation wasn't going to lead to Kavanaugh being charged criminally, because prosecutors will tell you that because nobody knows where it happened, when it happened, and there is no evidence or witnesses, no prosecutor will proceed. They proceeded with Cosby because of actual evidence.

But all of these protests and people feeling like maybe another "year of the woman" might happen or maybe the people TAKING BACK POWER might happen, that would be something really good.

That being said, I was HORRIFIED that this circus sideshow happened like it did. I was reading on Twitter for DAYS that Feinstein had "a letter" that said some damning stuff about Kavanaugh and people were "demanding" that she release it. How they knew about it, I don't know. I don't think it was from her office. I do think Dr. Ford's lawyers were pro bono assholes who didn't serve her well. I don't understand what Dr. Ford wanted by sending a letter but not wanting to have her identity known, other than perhaps in inside investigation with her remaining anonymous; WHICH SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED. But, nobody suggested that. Somebody should have done a forensic interview immediately. Instead, her lawyers did a polygraph, which is useless. She should NOT have had to testify in public before the Senate Judiciary Committee in a sideshow on television. She should have been able to remain anonymous to the public. The whole thing was bullshit. Total bullshit. It all made me (and millions of others) have an upset stomach for days.

Chuck Grassley isn't even a LAWYER, and he's 85. How the fuck does a guy who isn't even a LAWYER end up as CHAIRMAN of the Senate JUDICIARY Committee? How does one who isn't a lawyer ADVISE AND CONSENT on a United States Supreme Court justice? He didn't even go to LAW SCHOOL. Fucking Orrin Hatch (WHO IS 84) was shown on TV with SOMEBODY ELSE DIALING HIS FUCKING IPHONE. He's so old, he doesn't know how to use his phone. Chuck Grassley sent out a Tweet to Judge Kavanaugh that was MEANT TO BE AN EMAIL. He doesn't know the difference?

HOW THE FUCK ARE THESE OLD GUYS STILL IN THE SENATE? WE KNOW THE ANSWER.
    great post look i try not to be agest, but i do believe we should should have an age limit on senators this was evident during the Facebook hearings, i am sick and tired of out of touch people authoring our laws. i personally believe 65 should be the cut off age look in the private sector this is age which you our forced to retire. why should our government be any different
    -louie

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    And now, the new fear: that they'll get caught. That they'll be called out for the horrifically inappropriate things they've done, or enabled, in their lives. And that maybe, god forbid, they'll even end up being punished for them if they're deserving of it.

I'm with Rex: I'm not perfect. I had an absolutely horrid "sense of humor" in my younger years that, quite honestly, I regret now. I wish the #metoo movement had happened when I was a kid. My parents taught me not to be a bully, but that was a vague lesson. I wish my mom had sat me down and explained to me why she doesn't go for walks at night, even in our "safe suburban neighborhood". I wish she'd taught me that nothing sexist could ever rightfully be called a "joke". The epiphanies I've had over the last probably 4-5 years about what women go through, and what men do to cause that, are crushing.

And now, more and more people are afraid of having to come to terms with - or being called out on - the things they're guilty of. And that's driving the country to elect presidents and, by extension, supreme court justices, who will do everything in their power to take them back to the "good old days" where these so-called "men" could expect their obedient wives to be ready with dinner when the work day is over. And as a man, that scares the hell out of me. I can't even imagine how it feels for women.
    Last edited by theimage13; 10-09-2018 at 08:19 PM. Reason: fixing typo that made one of my points impossible to decipher

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The sad reality is the enormous difficulty in trying to reason with the Trump base and their us vs them mindset. That article above hit the nail on the head. The wacko social engineering and mental hardwiring thanks to the huge following of personalities like Hannity and Limbaugh have done so much damage. They stay outraged. They have a zero tolerance for opposing views and are tribal as hell. It has become a fan base. They are literally worse than sports fanaticsm thanks to a steady diet of misinformation and outright implanting of opinionated bullshit and false propaganda.

The only way is for everyone who still has some goddamned common sense and ethics about them to vote. I can only hope that numbers force change.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Yeah, I saw that a few days ago. It's depressing as fuck. My better half is an extremely outspoken feminist and a great communicator, so she's shed a TON of light on the experiences women have, how it affects their entire lives down to stupid things like walking from the door to the car after work, etc. I hate that that's the world women live in. I hate that, in my own small ways, I've contributed to that. And now, I really, really hate that men in power are actively fighting to KEEP it that way, instead of acknowledging the problem and trying to do something about it. It makes my blood boil.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Looks like another director's head is going to be on the chopping block. If Trump were to fire two FBI directors in less than two years, it will be even more glaringly obvious that something isn't quite right with him.