Funny how we're fighting over a NIN song being sampled in a song most of us wouldn't care exists if it weren't for the NIN sample. I don't think I've seen anyone bring up "Gunshots by Computer" to defend the idea of NIN songs being sampled in rap songs... though some may argue that it doesn't count because it's "officially" a NIN remix by a less mainstream rapper whose then-current album was produced by TR (not to mention it still being a better song by far even if it wasn't an "official" NIN remix).

The only reason why the song is a number 1 hit has literally nothing to do with NIN. Contemporary hip hop fans seem to disagree with Billboard's definition of country, even though the mainstream seems to have a broad definition of "rock" these days (then again: so did some academics in 2008/09 due to 34 being Grammy-nominated for best rock instrumental, though it lost to a Frank Zappa TRIBUTE recording by his son). We are a vocal minority, and I'm pretty sure most of us are vocal on these things mainly on this forum.

Also, let's not underestimate the power of a certain country singer whose daughter is the only reason why he isn't being dismissed as just a one-hit wonder. Though I would be very surprised if Lil Nas X turns out to NOT be a one-hit wonder within the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
...but I don't think it diminishes the overall effect of hearing a Trent and Atticus composition in a song that just dethroned Ariana Grande from the #1 spot on Billboard. That's a huge accomplishment. If all of the proper credits are given and rights are secured, what else is there to gripe about?
Aside from this particular song being worse than the worst Ariana song? At least she has a nice voice. Go ahead and judge me!