Page 513 of 528 FirstFirst ... 13 413 463 503 511 512 513 514 515 523 ... LastLast
Results 15,361 to 15,390 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Easy answer can be found in the song title from Locusts: "When It Brackets (Don't Use Them)".
    lol, I just realised how true this actually is: he even dropped the brackets from Ripe (With Decay) with the instrumental release and then Deviations… retroactively.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I wonder why TR decided just to call Physical Physical and dropped the (You’re So) from the original track name?
    Maybe because it fits in better with the many short/one-word track titles on Broken.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    I still find it so… bizarre that Trent’s original demos for PHM back in 1988 were being used under the monicker Crown Of Thorns before the band name became Nine Inch Nails, then decades later Johnny Cash uses that exact term in his rendition of Hurt. Like, what are the odds of something that coincidental happening?

https://www.thevinyldistrict.com/cle...-trent-reznor/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Man, revisiting Bad Witch and his Tobbaco and Danny Elfman collabs the other day reminded me how great the production is on all of those. I really hope we see more visceral, noisy, less "NIN rock" material from Trent on the next album.

More "Ahead of Ourselves" / "God Break Down the Door" ... less "Less Than" / "Shit Mirror" (though I love how the track ends)

I think back to what got me into Nine Inch Nails and it was because their music made you uncomfortable. I feel like ever since With Teeth (an album which I love by the way), a lot of his material never really had that sense of dread to it ... and hey, why should it if Trent doesn't want to do that? NIN is Trent and if Trent's not looking to make weirdo spooky music ... more power to him. If he wants to get pumped on stage and yell "HEY!", "COME ON!", "GO!" before every chorus / in between verses or have the crowd clap along to "MOTP", I'm always down for the ride.

But the more Trent collabs with people on music that pushes his sound, it gets me excited to think of an era of a new album of music that not only gives me goosebumps, but makes my skin crawl from feeling weird.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I still find it so… bizarre that Trent’s original demos for PHM back in 1988 were being used under the monicker Crown Of Thorns before the band name became Nine Inch Nails, then decades later Johnny Cash uses that exact term in his rendition of Hurt. Like, what are the odds of something that coincidental happening?

https://www.thevinyldistrict.com/cle...-trent-reznor/
    if Trent covered “Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns” I’d be over the moon.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I wanna know how Maynard has made it to saint louis 5 or 6 times with tool/puscifer/apc since Trent has been here at ALL since 2013.
    Last edited by tony.parente; 03-07-2022 at 08:09 AM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    if Trent covered “Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns” I’d be over the moon.

i don’t know if i could handle this. truly one of my all time favorite songs.

i want him to do a cover of madman across the water by elton john. i bet it would be so good. there’s so much he could do with the arrangement.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    NIN song titles that are taken from other artists.

Mr. Self Destruct - Soft Cell
    You Know What You Are - Ministry

Honorable kinda sorta mention is The Art of Falling Apart, an album by Soft Cell.

That is all.
    Last edited by mfte; 03-22-2022 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    There's a partial recording of NIN/Bowie production rehearsal from two days before the first real gig, and interestingly, between Reptile and Hallo Spaceboy there's a tease of I Do Not Want This (27:30). I wonder if this was simply a playback, or Chris having fun, or what?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    There's a partial recording of NIN/Bowie production rehearsal from two days before the first real gig, and interestingly, between Reptile and Hallo Spaceboy there's a tease of I Do Not Want This (27:30). I wonder if this was simply a playback, or Chris having fun, or what?
    Sounds like a playback error/miscue to me; you can faintly hear Trent say "stop, stop!" underneath it — they likely rolled into that point on their backing tape, but really meant to play "Spaceboy" instead. Those aren't live drums, but the loop sampled from the album (which they used earlier that same year, when the song was played as an encore on "Further Down the Spiral" arena shows).
    Last edited by botley; 03-09-2022 at 11:57 AM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Sounds like a playback error/miscue to me; you can faintly hear Trent say "stop, stop!" underneath it — they likely rolled into that point on their backing tape, but really meant to play "Spaceboy" instead. Those aren't live drums, but the loop sampled from the album (which they used earlier that same year, when the song was played as an encore on "Further Down the Spiral" arena shows).
    Does it mean then that the song was a candidate to be performed on that tour? Why would they have the tape on them otherwise?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Does it mean then that the song was a candidate to be performed on that tour? Why would they have the tape on them otherwise?
    It may have been on a possible list but seems like a weird choice to perform it with Bowie.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    It may have been on a possible list but seems like a weird choice to perform it with Bowie.
    I don't think it was that weird for 1995 Bowie. Some of his own songs from Outside/Earthling era reach similar levels of anger and abrasiveness.
    I'm now imagining IDNWT with Bowie singing verses with his baritone voice and it sounds pretty cool in my head.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Do you think we'll ever get a Deviations 2? For The Downward Spiral maybe? I've been thinking about that era of NIN a lot lately as far as their synth sound was at the time.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    reznor’s birthday is two short months away. i think he’s gonna release music between now and then. he always does stuff around his birthday.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    I wonder if total radio silence in the TRAR film scoring world for over a year means they were actually working on new NIN all this time.
    Halsey album was also finished almost a year ago. I mean, they can't not work on music for so long, right? And if it was a new score, it would've got announced way in advance in one way or another...
    Last edited by fillow; 03-14-2022 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I wonder if total radio silence in the TRAR film scoring world for over a year means they were actually working on new NIN all this time.
    Halsey album was also finished almost a year ago. I mean, they can't not work on music for so long, right? And if it was a new score, it would've got announced way in advance in one way or another...
    Weren't they doing the score for Luca Guadagnino's next film? I don't know if that was ever 100% confirmed, but I remember reading about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    wouldnt it be cool if trent performed new songs live before releasing them a la with teeth era? or release them first i wouldnt mind

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    NIN has played in California 17 times since they last played in Missouri.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Same goes for Minnesota (last show here was September 28, 2013). They haven't been to Wisconsin since 2006.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Same goes for Minnesota (last show here was September 28, 2013). They haven't been to Wisconsin since 2006.
    We’ve reached the point in their career where NIN is only playing mega money shows now. I get it, I do I guess. It’s why all the legacy acts pretty much only play LA/Chicago/NY and big festivals exclusively.

Not because population density, (otherwise why did they play the other cities earlier in their careers with such frequency?) but because it’s easier for them.

oh well. it could be worse, I could be a fan in South Africa or Greenland or something lol

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Hopefully Red Rocks stays a regular staple for NIN.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Duh, have you been to Missouri? Ew. (yes I know, sorry I grew up along the MO/IA/IL border).

Another note, anyone else have trouble going to nin.com without saying nincompoop?

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Duh, have you been to Missouri? Ew. (yes I know, sorry I grew up along the MO/IA/IL border).

Another note, anyone else have trouble going to nin.com without saying nincompoop?
    Not this guy.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Listened to the Linkin Park cover of Wish for the first time in years today. Forgot how much I loved that cover. Wish (pun totally intended) that I got to see them do the cover when I got to see them.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    that led me to this rabbit hole of covers.

There's another version of Wish though I can't think of who it was. I know it was a metal band, I think the singer was the guy from Disturbed?

*five minute google search later*

Ah-ha! man that was easy. Good thing he's got such a recognizable voice that I could pull it up from the dregs of my memory.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Listened to the Linkin Park cover of Wish for the first time in years today. Forgot how much I loved that cover. Wish (pun totally intended) that I got to see them do the cover when I got to see them.
    It's been a very long time so it's all fuzzy for me now, but I think, maybe, that cover is the reason I got into NIN, so I have a great deal of fondness for it, on top of just liking LP in general.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Wish is a good song to cover with a band with a decent vocalist. Linkin Park, Device (I enjoyed their cover) and Dillinger Escape Plan all nailed theirs imo. Really bummed Dillinger didn’t play it at their final shows a few years ago.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Hopefully Red Rocks stays a regular staple for NIN.
    They're gonna squat in the rocks.