Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Next NIN Album Speculation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's gonna be dubstep. Just wait.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Listen to his recent works. Example: When TR, Twiggeth, AR & Peter M had a jam session in a hotel ... you heard a lot of new perc & synth samples being used that we would later find to be used a lot in YZ. (IMO)
    I don't think that's an opinion The drum beat used in the jam session version of Reptile is the beat of 'The Good Soldier'. It makes sense knowing that the same equipment/vibe was making Year Zero on that tour.

I think the next HTDA will give a hint to the new NIN stuff.
    I'm expecting layered atmospheres, and lot of 'groove'. Electronic.
    Vocally I think it will be understated and lyrically... well who the hell knows?

I also have a feeling it will be long, almost Fragile-esque long.

But then again SATP is right - we haven't really seen whatever direction Trent takes coming, so based on that logic it will probably be short, acoustic and with the vocals loud and up front :P

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I guess we can start this up again? We have no idea what to expect or even when really this sucker is going to be released, although a report said that when NIN Greatest Hits drops in 2014 the new NIN record will follow...I'm wondering if maybe the new record will possibly come out around summer time to get people amped up for the tour this fall?

"Having a few years doing other things, I've enjoyed [them] and I'm enjoying doing How to destroy angels_, and there will be a place for stuff that falls in the Nine Inch Nails column of things," Reznor told Rolling Stone. "It's a different kind of work." Regarding the trajectory of his past few years, he said, "It's been an unexpected, weird ride. I'm just trying to approach things with integrity and try to find things that are interesting to me."

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I am really hoping this new NIN line-up can belt out a kick-ass album.
    I am picturing something very organic-sounding. Less machines and electronics, more guitar, drums, bass.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm not saying Trent's going prog, but considering the length of some of the pieces from Dragon Tattoo and the latest HTDA record and the addition of Belew to his team makes me wonder if musically the sound will have some more technical expertise and more expanded forms.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Trent should collab with Rick Wakemen and create the greatest prog album of all time

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah, I've always wanted Trent to make something along the lines of the Fragile soundscape vibe but feeling more condensed and "digestable". I'm not saying I'm wanting him to remake the Fragile essentially but something that feels grand and epic but are 13 to 14 punches to your face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would personally love to see Year Zero 2, however if I had to bet based on precedent... What we'll get is something different and unexpected. Consider With_Teeth to Year Zero to The Slip. These were wildly different sounding albums. Based on Trent's recent comments about feeling like he has something new to say, he seems like he might be a little bit pent up after years of doing movie soundtracks and sidelining his ego a bit with HTDA material. I would guess we're going to get something very personal again, at the least.

Edit: Also it will definitely be dubstep and he will be collaborating with jdevil.
    Last edited by thepresence0; 03-03-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I feel like considering who he picked as band mates it will be heavy drums, mid/distorted bass with wild wailing guitar sounds based off what Trent and Adrian Belew did in the past. The synths with be place holders to help the song build and give it texture.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Next NIN Album Speculation

Expecting something VERY atmospheric.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm expecting it to be a Nine Inch Nails album. Is there a chance I'll be disappointed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Next NIN Album Speculation

I think with Trent Reznor being Trent Reznor, there is always a chance he will alienate or disappoint some of his fans. Unavoidable. But given that I have loved nearly every one of his releases, I doubt I have anything to be worried about.

My least favorite release of his in the 00's was probably With_Teeth, and yet I still love the crap out of the majority of that album.

Personally I'd actually really like to see him allow himself to get goofy and experimental with lyrics again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Haven't been around in a while but wanted to pitch in on this.

For the best speculation I'd say we have to look at the way this has been announced and the respective announcement itself.
    Trent announced new NIN by telling us who his 'band' are.
    That says something to me.
    Tie that with the (paraphrasing) 'made me question what I though NIN could be' and I think we'll see something very band centric, a lot more control given to the chosen members and a much more collaborative effort.

Since 'wave goodbye' trent has started a ban which he openly said was more band like rather than his sole control, I think he has found - over the course of his career - a group of musicians and artists who he respects and trusts enough to allow for a true band.

In terms of sound, thats all in the air. Allessandro can produce almost anything from soaring melody to agressive noise. Bewel has such a roster under his belt its anyones guess (my hope is for more TF like stuff)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I'm expecting it to be a Nine Inch Nails album. Is there a chance I'll be disappointed?
    Yes ... The Slip

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by new now View Post
    For the best speculation I'd say we have to look at the way this has been announced and the respective announcement itself.
    Trent announced new NIN by telling us who his 'band' are.
    That says something to me.
    Tie that with the (paraphrasing) 'made me question what I though NIN could be' and I think we'll see something very band centric, a lot more control given to the chosen members and a much more collaborative effort.
    No, he announced a new tour.

He has said for a long time that he's been working on new NIN music. But there's been no announcement of a new album.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah, exactly. I think the people working on this album are probably the people he's worked on NIN material with the last couple of years as well as Belew helping out with "musical ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Yes ... The Slip
    Meh, to each their own. I find Year Zero to be the most disappointing. Maybe "disappointed" isn't the proper term either, I don't think I was ever really let down ultimately by anything released under the Nine Inch Nails name...I just find Year Zero the one that I don't care for as much as his other work.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    So when Trent said on twitter he was 'experimenting around in the studio with a hero of mine' - was that Adrian Belew?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Damn, I hope the new album sounds like Mantra. That shit is beautiful.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Meh. Mantra just sounds like a typical Foo Fighters track with little Trent piano sprinkled in. Nothing too exciting in my opinion.

Speaking of the new NIN record though, with How to Destroy Angels on Columbia now...that just means Nine Inch Nails is still basically a label free act correct? It's not like Columbia got a package deal or anything correct? So we could expect another Null Corporation release?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I would think that Trent wouldn't use NIN as a bargaining chip with Columbia - though from what Rob said, it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world if it ended up being a package deal, no matter what the butthurt anarchists say.

Mantra was good, but it wasn't great. I don't want the whole album to sound like that - that'd get boring after track 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin64 View Post
    Seconded!!!!
    thirded? mwahaha!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    So when Trent said on twitter he was 'experimenting around in the studio with a hero of mine' - was that Adrian Belew?
    Considering that he's said he has been working in the stdio with him, probably.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Meh. Mantra just sounds like a typical Foo Fighters track with little Trent piano sprinkled in. Nothing too exciting in my opinion.

Speaking of the new NIN record though, with How to Destroy Angels on Columbia now...that just means Nine Inch Nails is still basically a label free act correct? It's not like Columbia got a package deal or anything correct? So we could expect another Null Corporation release?
    I mean as in terms of effects and the arrangements. The drum beat is sort of repetitive. The bass is repetitive. The piano is very trent.

I know adrian belew will bring his own style since I believe I read this started as a collaboration between them. I expect more atmosphere and build-up and plain loudness/noisiness but mantra feels very natural to me like With Teeth.

A lot of his stuff since then feels very forced to me. This doesn't so much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This basically confirms a new nin album. Plus the Kronos Quartet might be on it? damn!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Kronos Quartet is overrated as hell, but it's still good news

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It's probably a new ghosts then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    nope. I'm pretty sure Trent would realize that would be a terrible idea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    As much as I love Ghosts I-IV, It would be really disappointing if Trent decided to do this. Don't get me wrong, I love his instrumentals, but I've just been a bit burned out at this point after all the soundtracks.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I'm not saying Trent's going prog, but considering the length of some of the pieces from Dragon Tattoo and the latest HTDA record and the addition of Belew to his team makes me wonder if musically the sound will have some more technical expertise and more expanded forms.
    Now we can add strings to that...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Ghosts is dead. YZ is dead. The last thing Trent is going to do is bring NIN back after 4 years and book a huge tour...to promote an instrumental album? Or to make a sequel to an album that came out 6 years ago that is already forgotten in the grand scheme of things....Not happening....