Thread: The Poopy Diaper Vinyl Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    CDs never went away. Outsold vinyl by 116% this year. CDs will NEVER turn into cassettes or even VHS and become obsolete. They may slide but even at their lowest selling, they still sell the most units. Nice Billboard article about how labels are rethinking CDs.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...physical-music

A couple of years ago all we heard about was how blu rays are obsolete and streaming is everything. Now you hear more and more about film collectors collecting blu rays because they prefer physical media. Eventually the same will happen with music. The masses will eventually realize what hardcore collectors already know. That physical media is important. The love for physical media will never go away from hardcore film/music collectors. That is why DVD/CD/Blu Ray and yes vinyl will always have a market because there will always be enough hardcore music/film collectors who want the physical product.

The real battle shouldn't be CD vs Vinyl. It should be physical media Vs streaming......I cant take someone serious who tells me they are a Joy Division fan and their entire Joy Division collection is on a fucking icloud. gtfo

The people buying CDs in 2019 are no different than the people buying vinyl in 2019. They are mostly hardcore music collectors who prefer physical media as their main preference....The casual music fans are the ones who bailed on CD and don't listen to vinyl and who flocked to streaming as their main preference (For the most part. Some serious collectors may prefer digital because it takes up less space/they travel a lot but the majority of stream 1st people are casual music fans)
    CD makes no sense. Digital FLAC files are better sound quality and vinyl has superior artwork. CD’s should go away. Trent offers the best by giving you both for one price. He understands the best that each format offers and is giving his art the best platform possible.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    One more thought about this - every artist cares about HOW their work is received. A painter doesn’t want their painting hung up in a Wendy’s bathroom in Macon, GA. An actor wants you to see their film on the big screen, not in a degraded mp4 on a flip phone.

is Trent some kind of pretentious asshole for caring about the medium that his work is presented on? No, he’s an artist, which is why most of us are here. Otherwise we’d be listening to streaming singles from the latest pop one hit wonder entertainer. That’s not who we are though. we came for the art. So show some respect for the artist. If you can’t afford everything, great. Me neither. That’s okay. Don’t like the medium? Accept it. Find another artist to love if this isn’t your thing.

its not all about consumerism. It’s about art. Gripe and moan or let yourself be challenged and taken on a journey. I choose the latter.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    One more thought about this - every artist cares about HOW their work is received. A painter doesn’t want their painting hung up in a Wendy’s bathroom in Macon, GA. An actor wants you to see their film on the big screen, not in a degraded mp4 on a flip phone.

is Trent some kind of pretentious asshole for caring about the medium that his work is presented on? No, he’s an artist, which is why most of us are here. Otherwise we’d be listening to streaming singles from the latest pop one hit wonder entertainer. That’s not who we are though. we came for the art. So show some respect for the artist. If you can’t afford everything, great. Me neither. That’s okay. Don’t like the medium? Accept it. Find another artist to love if this isn’t your thing.

its not all about consumerism. It’s about art. Gripe and moan or let yourself be challenged and taken on a journey. I choose the latter.
    Indeed. At the end of the day, it's art. It's between the artist, the piece, and the person who listens to it. The artist presents his creation a certain way, he drops it into the world. And then it's up to anyone to do whatever they want with it.

What's at the center of that ? The piece itself.

Whatever the way its presented is, accept it and appreciate it as an integral part of the art, or just take the music alone.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    One more thought about this - every artist cares about HOW their work is received.
    Not necessarily. For some artists, the medium that they work with is directly tied into the meaning of their art. For musicians, it really doesn't matter what that art presented on, unless you're making Hip Hop and want DJs to do some live vinyl scratching (which is a completely different art form, but I digress). For all intents and purposes, the music is either baked onto a big round thing, a small round thing, or it's digital. That object (or non-object) has no relation to the music whatsoever aside from being the means by which it's delivered to the audience's ears.

A painter doesn’t want their painting hung up in a Wendy’s bathroom in Macon, GA.
    For most artists, they just want their work to be seen and enjoyed. A lot of people go to Wendy's, therefore a lot of people are going to see that art. As an artist myself, I'd be over the moon if I had my work displayed in a major chain restaurant.

An actor wants you to see their film on the big screen, not in a degraded mp4 on a flip phone.
    Ed Norton recently said that cinema is dead and Netflix is the way forward.
    Scorsese just released his latest film on Netflix.
    Go figure.

is Trent some kind of pretentious asshole for caring about the medium that his work is presented on?
    Yes, absolutely. He has the right to present it how he likes, sure. Limiting that to one format and telling everyone else that they're wrong for consuming media in a way that differs from his personal preference is, however, quite distasteful.

Gripe and moan or let yourself be challenged and taken on a journey.
    Hard to be taken on that journey when you have to get up to manually flip the record every 20 minutes. The medium doesn't translate well to the nature of the art, which in Trent's case, is often journey/narrative-based.

Don’t like the medium? Accept it. Find another artist to love if this isn’t your thing.
    Why are you in this thread, exactly?
    Last edited by katara; 12-02-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    For most artists, they just want their work to be seen and enjoyed.
    Valid point...as compact disc shelf space shrinks and shrinks at retail stores, if not disappears altogether.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Not necessarily. For some artists, the medium that they work with is directly tied into the meaning of their art. For musicians, it really doesn't matter what that art presented on, unless you're making Hip Hop and want DJs to do some live vinyl scratching (which is a completely different art form, but I digress). For all intents and purposes, the music is either baked onto a big round thing, a small round thing, or it's digital. That object (or non-object) has no relation to the music whatsoever aside from being the means by which it's delivered to the audience's ears.

For most artists, they just want their work to be seen and enjoyed. A lot of people go to Wendy's, therefore a lot of people are going to see that art. As an artist myself, I'd be over the moon if I had my work displayed in a major chain restaurant.

Ed Norton recently said that cinema is dead and Netflix is the way forward.
    Scorsese just released his latest film on Netflix.
    Go figure.

Yes, absolutely. He has the right to present it how he likes, sure. Limiting that to one format and telling everyone else that they're wrong for consuming media in a way that differs from his personal preference is, however, quite distasteful.

Hard to be taken on that journey when you have to get up to manually flip the record every 20 minutes. The medium doesn't translate well to the nature of the art, which in Trent's case, is often journey/narrative-based.

Why are you in this thread, exactly?

Trent has explained WHY he is releasing it on vinyl, and he's been generous enough to also include digital downloads with it. The central experience of focusing on the music and not doing something else is what he is trying to nudge people towards. That is his prerogative as an artist.

It is hard to understand why you would have so much venom towards a musician for not putting their music on CD's in 2019. So much so that you would consider walking away. But then you are saying all of this in a dedicated site for fans. Is it that you don't feel like this person is meeting your individual unique needs? That Trent Reznor owes you something personally? Is that a very healthy expectation to have?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Trent has explained WHY he is releasing it on vinyl, and he's been generous enough to also include digital downloads with it.
    I literally just bought 3 records with the expectation that they would come with a digital code and they did not. I love that Trent is passionate about vinyl and that is great... but it is sort of like grandpa saying "back in my day..." You can't tell me that I have less of an appreciation for music or that I am unable to experience it properly unless I listen on vinyl.

Edit: I don't want to come across as one of those people who hates vinyl. That isn't my issue. I just really feel digital is the best option all around, but the one that gets the least attention by the industry.
    Last edited by buckaroo; 12-02-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    It is hard to understand why you would have so much venom towards a musician for not putting their music on CD's in 2019. So much so that you would consider walking away. But then you are saying all of this in a dedicated site for fans. Is it that you don't feel like this person is meeting your individual unique needs? That Trent Reznor owes you something personally? Is that a very healthy expectation to have?
    Bowel release is healthy. Better than constipation, at any rate.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Bowel release is healthy. Better than constipation, at any rate.
    This is the poopy diaper thread after all.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    The real battle shouldn't be CD vs Vinyl. It should be physical media Vs streaming......I cant take someone serious who tells me they are a Joy Division fan and their entire Joy Division collection is on a fucking icloud. gtfo
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Really?? It's this kind of elitist crap that I can't stand.

Not everyone has tightly knit lives that afford the space for physical media.
    I'm thankful for digital because I lost all of my physical components about 10 moves ago. Just because I don't have a stack of CDs or vinyl doesn't make me any less of a fan of any band.
    Yeah, that's trash gatekeeping logic. It's the "I own everything released by a band and have seen them live 420 times, so that makes me the biggest fan" argument.

I couldn't tell you Trent Reznor's birthday off the top of my head. Guess I'll go lurk BTS forums.