Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What's this concert footage? (UPDATE: It's Further Down the Spiral, and IT'S HERE!)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    So... Anyone here have access to topaz labs video enhance?

Granted it would be better starting with the original file and not the YT compressed version....

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    The problems with doing this is as you said it's not the original source video so results may be mixed but also if the audio gets transcoded again it's going to sound like ass. The files on my computer are ok but when going up into my Apple Music library then downloaded onto my phone it gets converted again iCloud (thanks Apple) and it really doesn't sound that great when it's gone through another conversion pass.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It seems like most of the footage comes from the Omaha, Nebraska show. A quick Google search of the Omaha Civic Auditorium shows similar features like the seating and roof. The building has since been demolished but here's a picture to give you an idea if you want to go looking for similarities yourself.

After Happiness in Slavery there is footage of a guy being thrown out of the building and the place looks very similar to the below image as well.

Last edited by nooneimportant; 04-13-2022 at 06:30 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I don't check the video at this time but can you confirm there is blood on Trent leg during Wish ? It can be a good proof for this song.
    It was at Omaha 95

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMEO172 View Post
    I don't check the video at this time but can you confirm there is blood on Trent leg during Wish ? It can be a good proof for this song.
    It was at Omaha 95
    ja

QgDzwdy.png

On the next song (Suck) it's bandaged.
    However, by Down in It both the blood and bandage are gone, so it's likely a shot from different show already. Didn't have time to check more.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Anyone notice that the audio through the channels is flipped from how NIN shows normally are? So on this Robin is coming out the left channel and Danny on the right channel, when typically it's reversed where Robin's in the Right and Danny(whomever) is in the left. Is flipping the audio even a thing that can be done?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    The problems with doing this is as you said it's not the original source video so results may be mixed but also if the audio gets transcoded again it's going to sound like ass.
    You can remux the "unaltered" audio to the upscaled video. A few extra steps, but definitely not a deal breaker.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Maybe we should try and asking Charlie about this film. He's the most talkative NIN member ever, after all.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    Anyone notice that the audio through the channels is flipped from how NIN shows normally are? So on this Robin is coming out the left channel and Danny on the right channel, when typically it's reversed where Robin's in the Right and Danny(whomever) is in the left. Is flipping the audio even a thing that can be done?
    Yes, for a situation like this, that would generally mean that someone plugged in the L/R audio channels incorrectly when digitizing the tape. Or perhaps it happened when the tape was originally dubbed from the master. In any case, if it's flipped for sure (I haven't checked), then it's easily solved by just flipping the channels back.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    So that explains why it’s always done live.
    @piggy , want to add that tidbit of info to the ninwiki Gave Up page?
    Just added it. Thanks for the idea.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just got a copy of the compilation AP Presents Industrial Strength Machine Music, which has an exclusive live version of Gave Up. I didn't realize it until I was reading the liner notes, but it says it was recorded in Omaha, NE on 2/13/95.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    I just got a copy of the compilation AP Presents Industrial Strength Machine Music, which has an exclusive live version of Gave Up. I didn't realize it until I was reading the liner notes, but it says it was recorded in Omaha, NE on 2/13/95.
    FWIW, it's doesn't match with Gave Up from this footage. I already checked earlier.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Love this forum. Thank you everyone and especially the OP.

You're the real MVPs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I stumbled on a YouTube post of this video last night and freaked the hell out. I recall all kinds of internet rumors and stirrings in mid-late '95 about when we would eventually see this live film that never saw release. I was thrilled with "Closure" for sure, but as access to information online became more common and it also became easier to leak unreleased material to the public, I was really, really hoping someone would pull through and put whatever existed from this project out on the internet.

I found the video completely by accident, save for that I was just looking for NIN concert footage I had never seen before. Hadn't checked this board in a number of years, so I wasn't aware that this had been out and seen for a couple of weeks now.

At first, I didn't believe my eyes. I scrubbed through the footage before watching the whole thing, and freaked the fuck out when I saw Simon Maxwell's credit. When I saw the opening bits, I thought it was just a well-made fan video. Watching the film from start to finish, I got a sense of nostalgia for something I hadn't experienced before, and yet it felt kind of like a weird deja vu. I've seen probably every known camcorder bootleg from the TDS/Self Destruct touring cycle. I never got to see the tour in person though, as I didn't have the means to drive two hours to another city in '94-95 to see NIN, and my parents sure as shit weren't going to drive me.

As I watched the show, I kept getting pulled out out of it mentally to wonder if this was all a dream, or if I was really watching the long lost show that very few people here actually thought would ever get released. And then I woke up this morning feeling a high that I hadn't felt in a long time. It was this very particular feeling of satisfaction that comes from having something delayed for 27 years and finally showing up. This was fucking extraordinary, and it's a "sin" (pardon my pun) that the project was shelved for this long.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    The tape is currently en route to me and has cleared customs. So I'll be able to make a transfer of this tape.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    The tape is currently en route to me and has cleared customs. So I'll be able to make a transfer of this tape.
    Not all heroes wear capes

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    So is anyone going to take a shot at creating a more consistent audio track for this thing?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    So is anyone going to take a shot at creating a more consistent audio track for this thing?
    @ninlive hit me up when you have a full-resolution audio transfer you're happy with... would definitely be interested to try remastering it for the archive!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Not all heroes wear capes
    And how do you know he's not wearing a cape?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I was going to make a joke with a gif from Mrs. Maisel - Abe wears a cape very fabulously in the new season - and there just aren't any good ones. ugh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I popped back into this forum to see if there was any intel on who was opening the tour dates next month (except for the Boy Harsher ones we already know) and stumbled across this. What a time to pop in! Thank you to everyone who made this happen, this is simply an incredible document of this tour and we are so lucky to finally have something like this. I saw this tour in Winston-Salem, NC on 11/23/94 and it quite simply changed my life. Not my first concert, it was my third, but it changed me forever. I’ve been a live music junkie chasing that high ever since. And this is as close as I’ll ever get to experiencing it again. I mean you can even see the merch table! Give me a time machine and grown up dollars and I will go back and clean them out haha.

Anyway, it reminded me what a great fan community NIN has always had. I did a lot of lurking here back in the 2000’s, on a lot of my favorite bands forums in general. I’ve found spending too much time in those can ruin almost any artist for you so I try to take breaks but maybe the NIN fandom is different. Some incredible and meticulous humans made this happen and I’m sure it’s not over yet in terms of audio etc. Thanks to all of you with that expertise and knowledge, it means a lot to see this thing. See some of you in Philly next month?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Also I have no idea if this will help you guys pinpoint what show the footage is from but I was taking screen grabs of the merch table and noticed there’s a Melvins shirt next to the Jim Rose stuff. I didn’t even realize they opened dates on this tour, I thought it was Manson, PWEI, Jim Rose and a couple random Hole dates.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    @ninlive hit me up when you have a full-resolution audio transfer you're happy with... would definitely be interested to try remastering it for the archive!
    The tape would definitely benefit of some color correction if what we saw in the YouTube upload is any indication, specially from Piggy onwards it seems that it looses some contrast and saturation compared with the three first songs and the original videos of Eraser, Hurt and Wish.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Okay, no fucking way could any of us improve on THAT title or artwork choice for the front cover.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by negavinyl View Post
    Also I have no idea if this will help you guys pinpoint what show the footage is from but I was taking screen grabs of the merch table and noticed there’s a Melvins shirt next to the Jim Rose stuff. I didn’t even realize they opened dates on this tour, I thought it was Manson, PWEI, Jim Rose and a couple random Hole dates.
    I’m not sure things like that can be used definitively. The problem is that they seemed to have filmed a whole bunch of shows and there was one main show and clips filled in from all over. That merch table isn’t necessarily the same show that the bulk of the show is from (or maybe it is. It can help narrow it down possibly)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Buzzo

Quote Originally Posted by negavinyl View Post
    Melvins subbed for PWEI for the last two weeks of the tour, while Clint Mansell was out sick. This included the Dallas and Omaha dates that the Simon Maxwell footage appears to be from. By many accounts, they got booed off the stage regularly, as they did when they opened for Rush on their "Counterparts" tour in 1994.

Buzzo is seen in part of the officially released "Self Destruct" portion of "Closure" looking on as Trent, Charlie, Robin and others throw beer bottles at a green room exit sign, and then they give Trent a victory ride on their shoulders when he successfully knocks it down.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja77 View Post
    Melvins subbed for PWEI for the last two weeks of the tour, while Clint Mansell was out sick. This included the Dallas and Omaha dates that the Simon Maxwell footage appears to be from. By many accounts, they got booed off the stage regularly, as they did when they opened for Rush on their "Counterparts" tour in 1994.

Buzzo is seen in part of the officially released "Self Destruct" portion of "Closure" looking on as Trent, Charlie, Robin and others throw beer bottles at a green room exit sign, and then they give Trent a victory ride on their shoulders when he successfully knocks it down.
    See here for a sample of the reception they received and their response

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^
    Always liked Melvins, don't understand the hate.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laci View Post
    ^
    Always liked Melvins, don't understand the hate.
    One of my favorite bands. I totally get it if people don't like them, but people are really assholes about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja77 View Post

I remember King Buzzo in the Closure video but thought he might have just been a friend hanging out backstage. No Internet back in those days to make you aware of such things. I think I only knew about PWEI because of poster and ads in magazines for the latter part of the tour? And dreaming of seeing it again but I was but a teenager and was lucky to have seen this at all.

I bought some Self Destruct shirts direct from Jonathan Rach back in 2020, gave him the whole story of how that night completely changed my life and he actually remembered some details about it because it was the night before Thanksgiving and he shared a couple stories with me. Fascinating stuff. The mystique around this era for me personally is next level, put it in my veins.