Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I was going to chime in yesterday that I recall having a Metal mp3 wellll before the version on Things Falling Apart but I couldn't remember if it pre-dated The Fragile as well. And then I also couldn't remember if it was fan-made or legitimately leaked, so I opted to just not say anything. But all those things taken into consideration I'm not aware that it was ever widespread info that Metal was the first thing to come out of that era, but I can easily believe it.
    I remember downloading Metal for the first time-the dancy mix of it, that was never officially released-sometime between June of 1998 and May of 1999. I am fairly certain about the date because I remember listening to it in an apartment I was in at the time. [EDIT-and I actually just found a post dated July of 1996, asking about the Metal cover. So it was known about WAY back. So far back that it makes me wonder about the Fragile connection.]
    Last edited by Arkadin; 08-26-2021 at 06:17 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    I’ve had a hunt around online for the source, and unfortunately can’t find it, but I distinctly recall an interview with Trent in which he mentions that, after setting up a new studio or making big changes to a rig, he tests it with a recording of a cover song. At least, this was the case back when I read this post-The Fragile. And this would explain why ‘Metal’ was an early result of the Fragile sessions.

Does anyone else recall this?
    Not the interview, but I definitely remember the mp3s being out before the fragile was released. They were short snippets (may 15 seconds-ish or so), and not in the highest quality.

And I remember on Napster, someone had created a full-length version that just looped the short clips over and over again. I was really annoyed because I had just spent 20 minutes downloading what I thought was the entire "song" on my 56k.

I was excited to get the full version of the song when the fragile would eventually be released, and then was pretty surprised when the tracklisting was made public and it wasn't there. It took until things falling apart before we got to hear it all.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I remember having a few different versions of Metal (most notably the "Lee Completion Mix" that was most prominent back then) long before its eventual release on Things Falling Apart. I'm not so sure that I had them before The Fragile, but Trent began work on Metal sometime prior to April of 1995, so it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    Not the interview, but I definitely remember the mp3s being out before the fragile was released. They were short snippets (may 15 seconds-ish or so), and not in the highest quality.

And I remember on Napster, someone had created a full-length version that just looped the short clips over and over again. I was really annoyed because I had just spent 20 minutes downloading what I thought was the entire "song" on my 56k.

I was excited to get the full version of the song when the fragile would eventually be released, and then was pretty surprised when the tracklisting was made public and it wasn't there. It took until things falling apart before we got to hear it all.
    Yeah, if my memory serves me right, several snippets or chunks of the song leaked (can't remember if this was the story where a valet parked Trent's car and stole a CD?) and then a fan (Lee?) did their best to compile them into a complete song. There was one verse that was out of order compared to the TFA version and it had a synth breakdown that doesn't appear in the final version, which always made me wonder if that was ultimately cut/deleted from the final song or if that part was created/added by the fan.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    While listening to the latest Blackman Beyond with Marc Benardin he mentions a Steven Soderbergh B&W cut of Raiders of the Lost Ark with a TR & AR score behind it.

https://extension765.com/blogs/soderblog/raiders

Kind of cool, didn't know about that at all. Kind of like watching Wizard of Oz with Pink Floyd how sometimes the music matches up with what's on the screen.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

NIN Spotting 2021

https://pitchfork.com/news/halsey-re...-full-credits/

i know the news of the album has already been posted, but this article contains track credits etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    and something else…

https://www.nme.com/news/music/halse...heir-new-album

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I didn’t see this gem posted yet...

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Yeah, if my memory serves me right, several snippets or chunks of the song leaked (can't remember if this was the story where a valet parked Trent's car and stole a CD?) and then a fan (Lee?) did their best to compile them into a complete song. There was one verse that was out of order compared to the TFA version and it had a synth breakdown that doesn't appear in the final version, which always made me wonder if that was ultimately cut/deleted from the final song or if that part was created/added by the fan.
    Three clips of Metal were leaked to the internet with the kind of audio errors that indicated they were ripped while the CD-ROM was being physically shaken. I don't recall the specifics, but all indications were that the three clips were intentionally leaked from the Nothing Studios crew. Everything after that (including the Lee Completion mix) was a fan effort until Things Falling Apart included the track in its entirety.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    So, I got this e-mail from Martin Atkins' newsletter:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    So, I got this e-mail from Martin Atkins' newsletter:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    By the way, Martin had uploaded the Suck stems (again, Pigface version, not Broken version) for free a long time ago. They're still online somewhere. If you can't find them, feel free to PM me.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    martin needs to sell me the suck lyrics handwritten by trent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    https://www.tenaciousd.com/ is celebrating the 20th anniversary of the debut album by posting a different video every day. Today's video (top row, 4th from the left) is footage from the album cover shoot and around 5 minutes you can hear them blasting I Do Not Want This while shooting a promo shot.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Former NIN spotting. JMJ is touring with St. Vincent. Caught the show tonight in Vermont.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    https://bootblacks.bandcamp.com/albu...-skies-remixed

Bootblacks just dropped a remix companion album to "Thin Skies" which features a remix by Chris Vrenna.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Ahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's Finck making some noise for his game project.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volk View Post
    my friend Arkia is the filmmaker/photographer working with robin. so excited for his talents to be used like this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volk View Post
    just ripping the shit out of that reverend. also, didn't know he was an Orange guy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    https://bootblacks.bandcamp.com/albu...-skies-remixed

Bootblacks just dropped a remix companion album to "Thin Skies" which features a remix by Chris Vrenna.
    Just saw a Vrenna remix on a Pig album last week: https://pigindustries.bandcamp.com/

I would love to see Tweaker return! It's been too long...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nihilmatters View Post
    Just saw a Vrenna remix on a Pig album last week: https://pigindustries.bandcamp.com/

Christ yes...when "Steel Box" just...dropped in 2019, I shit myself.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nihilmatters View Post

What I want is for Vrenna to work with Melora Creager on a new Rasputina album. But that ain't happening, I don't think. She watched Chris work and realized she could do it herself, but good GOD the CV Rasputina album is awesome.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Christ yes...when "Steel Box" just...dropped in 2019, I shit myself.
    For the record, I got Flyin' Traps for my birthday 24 years ago.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    For the record, I got Flyin' Traps for my birthday 24 years ago.
    I had NO IDEA this existed...now I feel lied to...

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    So that’s an old tweaker song from 1997?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    So that’s an old tweaker song from 1997?
    Pre-tweaker. Credited as "Chris Vrenna".

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post
    just ripping the shit out of that reverend. also, didn't know he was an Orange guy
    He is now.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shagg_187 View Post
    He is now.

Hahaha I thought of this thread when I saw the same post on Facebook from Orange. Equiboard isn't always the most reliable source, so it's cool on their page that you can see the amps he's currently using
    Robin Finck of Nine Inch Nails & EYES OUT – Orange Amps