Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: The Marriage Rights Thread

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    How far is US in terms of adoption by homosexual couples? Does is go hand in hand with marriage or is it a separate issue? Slovakia held a referendum about this few weeks ago and some 90% vote against it. Although turnout wasn't sufficient for this referendum to be valid (and I still can't wrap my head around the fact, the there was a referendum about this in the first place) it's still pretty disturbing how many backward thinking people are living in my neighbouring state
    The couple who married in Texas have two adopted daughters.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    And Nebraska's ban has been lifted.

As well as the banning of Gay foster parents.

Although the governor has stated that he will fight against the marriage ban lift..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    21st century and we are still judging people that are "different than me or have different views than my own because I'M super special" way to go human race!!!

You would think we would have evolved as a species to accept our differences, but what do i know.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Well we are still trying to sweep under the rug all the people with no home, those who are starving, those who are ill, and every kind of victim.

So I'm pretty sure acceptance and tolerance aren't coming to this theater anytime soon.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    the alabama supreme court has halted all same-sex licenses.

this isn't gonna end well for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why the hell is everyone so eager to get married? I don't get it! If I had to do it all over again, I would have not married at all. My life is now more complicated than ever because of a simple two word sentence "I do" because 22 years later, the inevitable happened as it tends to do, I am divorced. My advice and this is from experience I believe is worth looking at...wait for at least 7 years before tying that knot. They say 2-4 years but believe me that is really not long enough. Love evolves over a time period of 2-10 years and the burnout period when the high wares off is right around 7 years, hence, the "seven year itch." This is when two people figure out whether it was love or just lust that felt like love. It can be so deceiving. At two years into a relationship, the initial high of cloud nine starts to disappear and the lovers begin to see one another...the true grit of one another, what's underneath and deeper inside. Everyone, I mean, everyone, (nobody on earth is exempt from this) has an ugly and disgusting side to them. This side will tend to irritate the other partner, no matter what, same sex, opposite, whatever... it is all the same. The objective, in the end, is did the love evolve into a merging of one? Two people who truly become one start to even resemble one another physically and can think in sync with each other on almost a telepathic level as well as feel one another's ills and joys throughout a day, also see things through one another's eyes. There is not one thing that can tear two people apart that are connected on this level, yet, how many marriages fall apart? How many people end up not seeing eye to eye in the end? Worse, how many bring children into the equation to find out they were not in sync like they thought they were in the beginning? I am guilty, guilty, guilty of all of this. Innocent little ones always end up paying for this. ALWAYS!
    Keep up the good fight. Everyone should have the right to be able to get married if they so choose. I mean that sincerely but while the war wages on, keep in mind, this advice. It's real and it comes from one who has been there, done it, and realized that even though I wanted to be a brave, strong, loyal wife, sometimes, there are some ties that must still be cut. I still love my ex and I would walk through fire to save his life but he and I are not the same people. I hope that marriage becomes something that is a right for all in the near future but I really just see a rise in the divorce rate on the horizon.
    Last edited by Melancholygrl78; 04-01-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Melancholygrl78 View Post
    Why the hell is everyone so eager to get married? I don't get it!
    As someone who is in the "marriage equality is cool, but having govt out of marriage is best" camp, hell yes! I was with my, now wife, for over 5 years before getting married. We did it for legal/logistical simplicity, especially when we wanted to have a kid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    We did it for legal/logistical simplicity, especially when we wanted to have a kid.
    I commend you on that choice. I also love the way you worded it, "legal/logistical simplicity"! You seem like a pragmatic kind of person. I like that. Awesome! Well, here's to hoping your marriage lasts for multiple lifetimes, dear!

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Melancholygrl78 View Post
    I commend you on that choice. I also love the way you worded it, "legal/logistical simplicity"! You seem like a pragmatic kind of person. I like that. Awesome! Well, here's to hoping your marriage lasts for multiple lifetimes, dear!
    I just have issues with most types of authority. Most problems or needs that can be resolved without a central authority end up being better handled without that authority. Marriage is nothing more than a contract between two people. We are all capable of creating and entering into contracts that pertain to most topics without a paternal figure authorizing it. Sure, sometimes we need some sort of arbiter/enforcer when one of those people fails to keep their word.

This also explains why I get an additional form of enjoyment out of the marriage equality situation. Firstly, I think everyone should be treated equally by the government. But, it's a simple fact that people decided to shove their authoritarian religious bullshit onto the lives of others by utilizing government. Now, it is those very people who are bitching about government "infringing" on religion when their bullshit gets balanced out. It's this wonderful feedback cycle where excess government intervention comes back to bite those who started it. I only wish it it happened faster so there was less societal incentive to actually get married. Unfortunately, that pain will be short lived and then we all will get to keep the extra burden until someone decided to dissolve the whole marriage thing (very unlikely).

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    You know what's crazy. Those owners at Memory Pizza have now received over $750k from a fundraising campaign through GoFundMe.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    That is so depressing. Reminds me of how George Zimmerman and Darren Wilson also garnered similar support.
    The USA is really depressing. These people really believe that they are Christians and are doing the right thing.
    Life must be so comfortable when you can hide your own shittiness from yourself so easily.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    That is so depressing. Reminds me of how ... Darren Wilson also garnered similar support.
    The USA is really depressing.
    Uh... Darren Wilson actually deserved it. Did you keep up on the trial or the DOJ investigation? He did nothing wrong and got his life pretty fucked over by the horribly flawed court of public opinion.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    You know what's crazy. Those owners at Memory Pizza have now received over $750k from a fundraising campaign through GoFundMe.
    I suspect this was their plan. They wanted attention. Why else do you volunteer information like that on a service you don't even offer?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    According to a lawyer who is defending Utah's ban on same-sex marriage, gay weddings would result in 900,000 more abortions.

So one may ask, what's the correlation between same-sex marriage and abortions.
    Very simple...

According to Schaerr, fewer married women meant abortion rates would skyrocket.

“Accordingly, with 1.275 million additional women never getting married, nearly 900,000 more children of the next generation would be aborted as a result of their mothers never marrying,” he wrote.

Schaerr had posited that unmarried men would be less likely take part in a girlfriend’s pregnancy if a state had legalized same-sex marriage.

Aaaaaand that is how you get 900,000 more abortions.... apparently.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    ....WAT

Muh sanctity!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    According to a lawyer who is defending Utah's ban on same-sex marriage, gay weddings would result in 900,000 more abortions.

Very simple...

“Accordingly, with 1.275 million additional women never getting married, nearly 900,000 more children of the next generation would be aborted as a result of their mothers never marrying,” he wrote.

Schaerr had posited that unmarried men would be less likely take part in a girlfriend’s pregnancy if a state had legalized same-sex marriage.

I fail to see this fucktard's logic.
    Today:
    I'm a lesbian, I want marry my girlfriend, I can't. I some how get pregnant, I won't have an abortion.

If same sex marriage was legalized:
    I'm a lesbian. I want to marry my girlfriend, I some how get pregnant, I'll have an abortion.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    I fail to see this fucktard's logic.
    Today:
    I'm a lesbian, I want marry my girlfriend, I can't. I some how get pregnant, I won't have an abortion.

If same sex marriage was legalized:
    I'm a lesbian. I want to marry my girlfriend, I some how get pregnant, I'll have an abortion.
    Conservatives will say anything that may strike fear.

You should read this article about the mom that live tweeted her son's sex ed class. It's priceless.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Very simple...

Because all those queer guys getting married makes a bunch of straight guys want to go knock up a bunch of straight chicks so they'll go get abortions. THOSE QUEERS! THEY'RE MAKING US HAVE UNPROTECTED HET SEX AND HAVE ABORTIONS!

Oh wait, we were already doing that ...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    We're having our referendum on Friday. The "No" side over here has literally been screaming "WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!" on their literature and in the media. Idiots.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    We're having our referendum on Friday. The "No" side over here has literally been screaming "WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!" on their literature and in the media. Idiots.
    imagine that

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Voting began an hour ago. I'll be voting in a few hours with the rest of my family, and there's now a media blackout here because of our referendum laws BUT this is what I'm hearing via social media - turnout is apparently high and there are LOTS of emigrants coming back to vote. I think it's almost certainly a Yes result, but complacency is what will defeat this. Also, time to keep the elderly away from the ballot boxes.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Hijacking this thread, but don't care since it's important.

The polls closed three hours ago. 96% chance of a Yes vote. Highest electorate turnout since the foundation of the Republic. Thousands came home to vote and I loved the story of a heterosexual couple getting married on the day who stopped in to a Dublin polling station to vote Yes. I've never been a huge fan of my country, but I'm proud of it right now. WHEN this passes tomorrow, we didn't just do a good thing for ourselves - we did a good thing for humanity.

EDIT - voting hasn't finished but it's a definite Yes. Landslide in Dublin and all areas are expected to be Yes. I can't stop crying.
    Last edited by slave2thewage; 05-23-2015 at 06:21 AM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    You should be proud!!! Great news and I love the overwhelming support, it really puts the rest of the western nations to shame. Awesome day!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I didn't realize that SCOTUS had some ruling coming up this month.

Texas is preparing.

Dallas County will issue licenses

New law signed to bar lawsuits if churches refuse to marry The gays

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    That new law is likely unneeded. I mean, don't the Catholics refuse to marry previously divorced people? Yet nobody bats an eye when they do.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
    That new law is likely unneeded. I mean, don't the Catholics refuse to marry previously divorced people? Yet nobody bats an eye when they do.
    The Catholic Church only cares when your prior marriage was conducted by the Catholic church, otherwise it doesn't count or care. And, even if the latter, it can be annulled by the Church if you want to remarry in the Church. But Catholics don't "bat an eye" because they know they've already been excommunicated, lol. (My husband's dad was remarried in the Catholic Church because his first marriage wasn't in the Catholic Church.)

The new law is needed to protect the separation between church and state. You don't HAVE to get married in a church, and the state can't force churches to change basic religious tenets.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-24-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    I didn't realize that SCOTUS had some ruling coming up this month.
    Yes, from a few cases that the SCOTUS heard last April:
    http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpo...-court-tuesday