Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Random YouTube spotting that’s lovely.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Listen to the music at the start. I hope this counts as a "NIN Spotting":

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well thats because it was used as the opening for the real se7en but yeah it can count lmfao

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Rob's latest Patreon post goes into a little more detail about the creation of the cover for The Slip:

One more example of this, and probably my most famous implementation of Exposure: The cover image of Nine Inch Nails' The Slip. I'll go into the art direction of The Slip more in a future Patreon feature, but for now read about it in this Twitter thread. I mention that the cover image was inspired by Polish poster artist Roman Cieslewicz, one of my favorite graphic artists (I keep this book close by for constant inspiration from his posters), but I don't think I've ever revealed the specific poster design that the cover image was based on.

The Slip's cover was a direct homage to this 1982 Cieslewicz poster (for a Paris exhibition on town planning, of all things):

As soon as I showed it to Trent he was struck by it, and we wanted to create something similar for the cover. So the intent of the photo was very clear from the beginning, and that helped me choose the right tools to execute it with. I set up a black backdrop and a bright desk lamp (to get a hot, overexposed light source that would sharply fall off into shadow) in a back room during Lights In The Sky rehearsals in 2008. NIN keyboardist Alessandro Cortini stood in as our arm model, and I had Trent walk forwards into the frame and then had Alessandro physically grab Trent's shoulder and jerk him back slightly to stop him. This created the motion blur on Trent's face that communicated the action in the image, captured with a slow-ish shutter speed. We did a few takes, and I was able to let them go back to rehearsals after maybe fifteen minutes of shooting - that was all I needed to get the right raw materials.

I found the perfect capture from the shoot, edited it in Photoshop, and then took it into Exposure, modifying the vintage B&W daguerreotype high contrast preset to give the photo the softness, heavy grain, and blown-out photocopy look we were inspired by in Cieslewicz's poster. From there, I added the broken red bar design element and the same worn paper texture used throughout The Slip's art to unify it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    Listen to the music at the start. I hope this counts as a "NIN Spotting":

i remember watching that when they spoofed it at the MTV movie awards. And yeah, its the same remix for the actual movie in the opening credits.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Rob's latest Patreon post goes into a little more detail about the creation of the cover for The Slip:
    Did he post a link to the original poster?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Did he post a link to the original poster?
    It's in the article if you click through, but this is it:
    https://c10.patreonusercontent.com/4...Qiw8a5RIJ8g%3D

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    It's in the article if you click through, but this is it:
    https://c10.patreonusercontent.com/4...Qiw8a5RIJ8g%3D
    Awesome, thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Anyone else spotting the “we’re here to have a bad time” meme going round?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This just came up on my feed, nothing new but it was to me - I’ll never forgive Joe Cornish for this slight now

https://www.loudersound.com/news/tha...nbury-set-ever

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Zoinks, Cornballs!

The current issue of Billboard mentions a couple of NIN-related topics, including the Interscope 30th anniversary exhibit in the top article, and streaming royalties for "Old Town Road" on page 10 (though, weirdly, they misidentify the track sampled by the name "Further"?). PDF link:

https://www.billboard.com/wp-content...d-bulletin.pdf
    Last edited by botley; 02-26-2022 at 06:51 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ Zoinks, Cornballs!

The current issue of Billboard mentions a couple of NIN-related topics, including the Interscope 30th anniversary exhibit in the top article, and streaming royalties for "Old Town Road" on page 10 (though, weirdly, they misidentify the track sampled by the name "Further"?). PDF link:

Secret Ghosts names coming soon?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    and streaming royalties for "Old Town Road" on page 10 (though, weirdly, they misidentify the track sampled by the name "Further"?). PDF link:

That's quite a nice explainer for how streaming royalties work.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Oh no they became self-aware

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^ Zoinks, Cornballs!

someone on the nin reddit found songs by a group called Nine and a Half Inch Nails that have spiff names of nin songs, one of them being "further"(closer). they are weird truly ambient tracks that all seem to be the same slowed down choir sample with added sounds, with small differences other than length. stretched and sped them up in a DAW, put some through a spectrograph, i found nothing of note other than they were all roughly the same... and an uneasy feeling. i don't know why but listening to the songs sped up or slowed down or at original speed i started to get genuinely frighted for no reason i could find. the consensus on the reddit was someone just uploaded them for free streaming off of unknowing listeners perhaps picked up by an algorithm and and so no one thought nothing of it and i stopped digging after a few days.

maybe this was a mistake on billboard because the art looks similar to ghosts, but maybe this is a confirmation that an ARG is currently happening.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzomilione View Post
    someone on the nin reddit found songs by a group called Nine and a Half Inch Nails that have spiff names of nin songs, one of them being "further"(closer). they are weird truly ambient tracks that all seem to be the same slowed down choir sample with added sounds, with small differences other than length. stretched and sped them up in a DAW, put some through a spectrograph, i found nothing of note other than they were all roughly the same... and an uneasy feeling. i don't know why but listening to the songs sped up or slowed down or at original speed i started to get genuinely frighted for no reason i could find. the consensus on the reddit was someone just uploaded them for free streaming off of unknowing listeners perhaps picked up by an algorithm and and so no one thought nothing of it and i stopped digging after a few days.

maybe this was a mistake on billboard because the art looks similar to ghosts, but maybe this is a confirmation that an ARG is currently happening.
    I had a listen. Sounds like sections of tracks that were slowed down in PaulStretch.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    i listened too. i don’t know what it is but i don’t think it’s arg. Trent is smarter than stretched out tracks on spotify.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I think if it were an ARG somebody would be nudging people on here and Reddit a bit more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    i listened too. i don’t know what it is but i don’t think it’s arg. Trent is smarter than stretched out tracks on spotify.
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I think if it were an ARG somebody would be nudging people on here and Reddit a bit more
    most likely it's just poor journalism but as i missed out on the year zero arg, a man can dream.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzomilione View Post
    most likely it's just poor journalism but as i missed out on the year zero arg, a man can dream.
    nin popping up in fun, random ways is my dream too.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Antonio Sanchez and Bad Hombre will be doing a sneak peek preview of the upcoming new album featuring Dave Matthews, Trent Reznor, Meshell Ndegeocello, Kimbra, Lila Downs, Ana Tijoux, Silvana Estrada & more.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    There will never be another NIN ARG entirely because everyone yells "ARG!" so much that TR & AR probably think it's annoyingly cliché at this point.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Adam Ant report on MTV, including 5 second clip of performance with NIN

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Antonio Sanchez and Bad Hombre will be doing a sneak peek preview of the upcoming new album featuring Dave Matthews, Trent Reznor, Meshell Ndegeocello, Kimbra, Lila Downs, Ana Tijoux, Silvana Estrada & more.

What?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    What?
    I wasn't sure what to make of that. Never heard of them so I didn't dig any further.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Ben Weinman (guitar player from Dillinger Escape Plan) posted this to his insta stories:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Ben Weinman (guitar player from Dillinger Escape Plan) posted this to his insta stories:
    Isn't Ben the one Aaron mentions in his interview about WT lineup tryouts? If so, there must be some salty feelings watching Aaron flying around.

Also, Someone here would likely pay for that....

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Isn't Ben the one Aaron mentions in his interview about WT lineup tryouts? If so, there must be some salty feelings watching Aaron flying around.

Also, Someone here would likely pay for that....
    Ben didn't have time for NIN with DEP going on. There's no salt. He's a huge fan. DEP even performed on stage with NIN several times and opened for them on the NIN/Soundgarden tour that Death Grips dropped out of.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    DEP even performed on stage with NIN several times and opened for them on the NIN/Soundgarden tour that Death Grips dropped out of.