Thread: NIN Spotting 2021

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I think it's possible we might not get any new NIN music this year, but since they've been busy working on other projects, that wouldn't be surprising. I could see them waiting until next year when (fingers crossed) live shows return to release anything. I can't see them outright abandoning NIN, because it gives them a certain outlet that other projects don't. Hearing Trent talk about how he felt pressured to create some sort of magnum opus during the pandemic makes me glad that he didn't do that, although the Ghosts releases last year were a nice surprise. I'm sure they'll come back to us when the time is right.
    As the pandemic started, i assumed many artists would be working on and completing their "magnum opus". I still find it disappointing that this didn't happen, and everyone was seemingly uninspired during the craziest year on planet earth in their lifetime. The planet is literally burning, the bad man was still in office calling the shots, and the world was divided on about every issue. Guess those grounds arent fertile enough for inspiration. I get for TR, he already wrote that album, but i am still sort of not understanding this whole uninspired thing. Like, you all have nothing to say right now?
    The new Ghosts left me wanting more, probably to hear his voice and thoughts over the music. The first Ghosts felt different. It was perfect the way it was.

I dont think we will see a new NIN album this year. Maybe a collaboration song. This worked with Health to a degree and that was a good song, but i expected something more.... exciting from those two to be honest. I would love some new HTDA. Even an EP. Well overdue.
    Sorry im done ranting.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orson thrust View Post
    Guess those grounds arent fertile enough for inspiration. I get for TR, he already wrote that album, but i am still sort of not understanding this whole uninspired thing. Like, you all have nothing to say right now?
    The new Ghosts left me wanting more, probably to hear his voice and thoughts over the music. The first Ghosts felt different. It was perfect the way it was.
    My thought was directly referring to the comments during Soul awards season in regarding immediately getting back to NIN material. Nothing more, nothing less. Obviously we don't know the timeline of the Halsey work and for all we know they did go in the studio at the very end of April to work on NIN but they felt it wasn't good. Or it's all obfuscation and they've got an album's worth of stuff in the can ready to drop whenever they want. I'm saying, after reading that interview, I'm less optimistic about new NIN in the near term.

I'm not going to begrudge someone for feeling uninspired during these times, especially when you have kids. Thoughts about the world we're leaving my son's generation can sap my energy sometimes. It's heavy shit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    My thought was directly referring to the comments during Soul awards season in regarding immediately getting back to NIN material. Nothing more, nothing less. Obviously we don't know the timeline of the Halsey work and for all we know they did go in the studio at the very end of April to work on NIN but they felt it wasn't good. Or it's all obfuscation and they've got an album's worth of stuff in the can ready to drop whenever they want. I'm saying, after reading that interview, I'm less optimistic about new NIN in the near term.

I'm not going to begrudge someone for feeling uninspired during these times, especially when you have kids. Thoughts about the world we're leaving my son's generation can sap my energy sometimes. It's heavy shit.
    Oh i am with you on the kids part. My kids will have to deal with these consequences. Wasnt just speaking of TR, but other acts as well as he's not the only one to say that. If these are uninspiring times for artists, i dont know when is. I just think its more of, i dont have anything to say, which is fine. I guess i just want an angry nin album and the climate felt about right for that.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orson thrust View Post
    As the pandemic started, i assumed many artists would be working on and completing their "magnum opus". I still find it disappointing that this didn't happen, and everyone was seemingly uninspired during the craziest year on planet earth in their lifetime. The planet is literally burning, the bad man was still in office calling the shots, and the world was divided on about every issue. Guess those grounds arent fertile enough for inspiration.
    Inspiration is different from source material, though. You can have all the material in the world to draw from (in fact we all do, in our pockets, at all times) and be uninspired, because you're stressed out and incapable of creating something due to crippling paroxysms of anxiety. Speaking from personal experience.