Page 20 of 56 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power - new Halsey album produced by Trent and Atticus

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Okay. If I can gush over this album like a dork once more...

On listen #2, and I still love it. So bloody happy I snagged a couple versions of the vinyl awhile back, as this will definitely be nice in my collection (got the two alternate cover versions, should probably just go ahead and round it out with the regular cover too).

Darling, of all things, has grown on me. It kinda reminds me a bit of the emotions from the Sia song Breath Me (which is intrinsically linked to the end of Six Feet Under for better or worse).

I really love how much this album is balanced between pop and rock. I had listened to Halsey before this record came out to get familiar with them, and while I was able to tell right off the back that they were talented, it wasn't really at all my cup of tea. This album bridges the gap and as much as I am enjoying it from the perspective of a nine inch nails fan, I really love the Halsey parts too. Her vocal style is...to beat a cliche...electric. I love that this album sort of bridges the gap and gives me something poppy that I can also wholeheartedly enjoy (there is just so little of pop music that I really *get* I guess), because as dark as the album can sound, a lot of it is energetic pop at the same time (the song Honey has entered the chat).

This album is a total "you got chocolate in my peanut butter!" sort of scenario.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Sorry to bring this back up, but can someone enlighten me as to why it's disrespectful to use one of the two pronouns Halsey identifies as? Is Halsey's issue that the article exclusively used "she" and avoided using "they"? I've always thought a "she/they" identification implied that either was fine, but Halsey seems to be suggesting that using only one and not the other is a problem.

Note to the room: I'm genuinely asking to understand. Please don't respond with your personal opinion about pronoun usage.

Its more finally hitting a boiling point on a bunch of stuff, but this was the tipping point. Halsey has every right to slam Allure for what they did because spending a couple of paragraphs on the pronouns of “they/them” and then just going with “she” is a joke really. Mixing and matching isnt the best way to go about things and that’s what happened. Stick with one or the other, not both. Another easy way to escape that is just using first name, you dodge a lot of landmines that way.

Personally, one of my closest and longtime friends of over 15 years made the choice a few years ago to be seen as nonbinary. Regardless of that, they are a queer female, but this is what they wanted, so I had to get used to that. When it comes to all that comes with that and LGBTQ, Ive been lucky to have somebody educate me on certain issues and such and its made a big difference in my outlook. A habit I have made was to just call everything and anything they or them or by first name just so it seems normal. And then I myself dont get “stuck” with she or he. Took awhile but I dont really mind it after 4 years of making the change.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    One listen later...it's decent I guess. Trent&Atticus do deliver gold in places but not front to back and ultimately just made me wish I would be listening to NIN instead. Hesitation Marks was basically Trent's pop album anyway so it's not like he doesn't have those. I fail to grasp what they saw in Halsey. Not to say that she's bad per se but what makes either her lyrics or singing stand out from her contemporaries? It's especially noticeable in the supposed darkest moments where I feel like those emotions and subjects can be done with so much more authenticity and rawness by countless others instead.
    Last edited by Something Underneath; 08-26-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks to leaks, I've cancelled my pre-order of the vinyl!

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I’ve been listening to this all day. It’s just not for me, and that’s perfectly fine. Musically and from a production standpoint, it’s certainly not bad. It’s just her vocals and general pretentiousness that do absolutely nothing for me, and take me out of the whole experience..

Hey..I went into it with an open mind and certainly wanted to like it. Admittedly, I only gave a shit about this album because Trent and Atticus were heavily involved in its creation. If an instrumental version of the album leaks or gets released, I could see myself enjoying this a lot more, knowing who all was involved in putting it together from a compositional standpoint..

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The voice at first was granting on me, but it is growing on me but I get people not liking it. I am not familiar with Halsey at all and I went into this album as her first work.

I love the album, I do think Halsey could have delivered a better performance in some songs.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    So is the baby on the cover going to sue Halsey in 30 years?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Close the thread, we've got our best comment ^

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guldukat View Post
    so is the baby on the cover going to sue halsey in 30 years?
    hahahahaha winner

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    hahahahaha winner
    Yeah, I ripped someone else off who thought of that first.

I have pre-ordered this album and will give it a spin tomorrow. It's getting some really good reviews and is generating a buzz.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Alan Wilder dropped instrumental versions of Recoil albums. Let me know when the instrumental of this album drops. Otherwise....Pass

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I’ve been listening to this all day. It’s just not for me, and that’s perfectly fine.
    Just wanted to say kudos for being mature with your criticism and for using language that relates to your personal experience rather than just saying the album is bad/shitty/boring/etc. That's what I've been trying to get people to do more of on here, so I just wanted to say that I appreciate it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Yeah, I ripped someone else off who thought of that first.

I have pre-ordered this album and will give it a spin tomorrow. It's getting some really good reviews and is generating a buzz.
    Im sure, but its still a good laugh. There was an Alice in Chains one this morning, too.

Just got a shipping confirmation from ordering on the Halsey store. The label has been printed at least so hopefully it gets put into the mail this weekend. Bummer that Urban might not get their copies in store tomorrow since their website changed its arrival date to October now, unless they sold out of the first batch and are making more.

Regardless of opinions, it will be really cool when this goes #1 next week. You can also assume the film gets nominated for a Grammy for best long form music video.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Feels like T&A letting loose on half the album and conforming to pop sensibilities for the rest. Would have made a grand EP. Aside from four or five tracks it's not really for me either but i was never expecting much from the start. Nice distraction from the score work though.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I think the biggest thing i'm taking away from this album, is that it really sounds like TR&AR had a shit ton of fun making this.

I'm honestly also genuinely extremely excited that Halsey is introducing NIN to an entire generation of people that normally wouldn't seek out their music. For every single one of us in here saying "never thought I'd be listening to a Halsey record", there's another saying the same thing to any of the NIN albums. That fucking rules.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    after listening and letting it mull around in my head, my opinion is this: (And take this with a grain of salt, because my opinion certainly does not matter)

Its not for me. Trent and Atticus def brought their A game when it comes to production. You can hear so many aspects of their scores brought into this piece of work. They have learnt a lot this past decade. The production is top notch. I didnt expect anything else.

Halseys voice, while not my cup of tea didnt irritate me very much if at all. I take it for what it is. A pop singer trying to get her edge on.

The problem is...

Nothing about this album is memorable. Sure there are some spots here and there that stick out. a few times I turned my head and listened intently to what was going on, but overall, it just feels like watered down NIN with a middle of the road female vocalist without any real great songs.

I am in fact a fan of pop music, and I was KINDA hoping there would be some actual hits on here. Alas I didnt hear anything that I think will win anybody any awards. I kept waiting for the proverbial "Drop" as they say.

However, at the end of the day, im still glad this happened, because I think this will either A: Open the door to more interesting collaboration with other artists I AM interested in. or B: Make TR and AR focus on what they know works, and take all of this experimentation that they've been doing and apply it to the next round of NIN records.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I think the biggest thing i'm taking away from this album, is that it really sounds like TR&AR had a shit ton of fun making this.

I'm honestly also genuinely extremely excited that Halsey is introducing NIN to an entire generation of people that normally wouldn't seek out their music. For every single one of us in here saying "never thought I'd be listening to a Halsey record", there's another saying the same thing to any of the NIN albums. That fucking rules.
    It’s the same effect Taylor Swift had for The National and Bon Iver because of the last 2 albums that have been released.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Have listened a few times now on spotify.

Girl is A Gun sounds a lot like something Robyn would release (the Swedish artist - not Robin Finck haha).

Thats not a bad thing, i like Robyn.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Digging it a lot musically but, sadly, her voice does nothing for me. Still, a great collaboration (though it should have been with Gaga, sue me)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    'I am not a woman, I'm a god', 'The Lighthouse', and 'Lilith' are the highlights for me.

I have never listened to Halsey before, but she seems alright.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    This album fucking rips. That's all I've got. Holy shit.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to grab any of the variants, and that ended up being a mistake since it's slim pickings now, but I'm hoping Urban Outfitters delivers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if it’s been said elsewhere here yet, but I gleamed from the Halsey Reddit that the other bonus track is the very NIN-named “People Disappear Here” (which apparently shares a name with an NFT she did about half a year ago?). Also, “Nightmare (Reprise)” isn’t actually on the vinyl, but is exclusive to the download code. Seems a little misleading, but I suppose also makes some sense to not expect three different stampers to be made?

I’m personally looking to see if the album goes up in Atmos on Apple Music at midnight my time. Not sure if anyone knows if that’s a thing yet.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I am guessing Meat Beat Manifesto worked on Girl Is A Gun. Jack's been going chopped up breaks lately.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Still early, but initial thoughts....I went into this sort of the same as Niggy Tardust. Wasnt a big rap guy and decided it wasnt for me even before listening. When it came out I gave it a shot without hearing a note of Saul's music previously. I think Break was the first song i heard that day and immediately was blown away. The whole album transcended rap and went elsewhere and completely pulled me in by the first chorus. It opened doors to new music to be honest. I will also say that i had no idea some tracks were straight up Fragile outtakes before hearing it. But it was insane and exciting and i played it non stop for months. I went into this in a very similar way and open minded, but it did not grab me. At times it felt like it was going to rip, but it never got there. There are some good songs there somewhere, but I think it's her voice for me. Will def give it a few more spins.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebitrate View Post
    Not sure if it’s been said elsewhere here yet, but I gleamed from the Halsey Reddit that the other bonus track is the very NIN-named “People Disappear Here” (which apparently shares a name with an NFT she did about half a year ago?). Also, “Nightmare (Reprise)” isn’t actually on the vinyl, but is exclusive to the download code. Seems a little misleading, but I suppose also makes some sense to not expect three different stampers to be made?

I’m personally looking to see if the album goes up in Atmos on Apple Music at midnight my time. Not sure if anyone knows if that’s a thing yet.
    Halsey said their favorite song didnt make the album, so that has to be it.

So who is paying the $17 for the performance on Sunday? Im surprised it hasnt had a major announcement but safely will assume its coming when the album is officially out on the west coast in 30 mins. If its totally pre recorded maybe there will be a teaser trailer.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    driving four hours to see my boyfriend, this will be quite the treat on the way.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    You Asked For This is the 90s shoegaze banger that I never knew I needed from NIN. What a fucking R I P P E R, that one.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The closest Wal-Mart got 3 copies on CD, which they put out early, but are still marked as restricted in the system when you try to purchase them. Tried to U-Scan and the person would not override; my wife went back in and tried to purchase one at the Electronics counter and they refused to override the restriction. Went back for shits and giggles, and sure enough, they had pulled the third copy. Wal-Mart CD version lacks (outer) PA and appears to be clean, but I was obviously not able to purchase for verification. Now I've probably fucked myself for 6am when they open. Heh.
    Last edited by Jon; 08-26-2021 at 11:50 PM. Reason: a word

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    You Asked For This is the 90s shoegaze banger that I never knew I needed from NIN. What a fucking R I P P E R, that one.
    Do you like Wolf Alice? I got big WA vibes on that one.

This album is outstanding.