Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Negative enounters with Nine Inch Nails fans.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Negative enounters with Nine Inch Nails fans.

Everyone I've met from ETS over the past week and a bit has been bloody lovely! I've really enjoyed chatting, hanging out and seeing shows with these guys and hope our paths will cross again!

However, home of the people I've met in line sure love to talk about themselves and the 40,80, 100 shows they've been to. Really, it really wouldn't hurt for a fucking minute for them to not talk about themselves and engage with the person they're talking to. But then again, perhaps I'm not that interesting for not being to so many shows...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Siren View Post
    However, home of the people I've met in line sure love to talk about themselves and the 40,80, 100 shows they've been to. Really, it really wouldn't hurt for a fucking minute for them to not talk about themselves and engage with the person they're talking to. But then again, perhaps I'm not that interesting for not being to so many shows...
    As a huge Pearl Jam fan I know EXACTLY what you mean. Fandom creates some strange beasts believe me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    Is this still a fucking thread?
    No, but this is: http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...Fucking-Thread

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    As a huge Pearl Jam fan I know EXACTLY what you mean. Fandom creates some strange beasts believe me.
    The thing is, I love hearing about it, I honestly do, I think it's interesting really , I'll ask questions about it but I'm not in to one sided conversations tbh. Not sure if its the way I was raised but when I meet someone new, I like to get to know them rather then talk about myself ...

I've seen it happen in some communities and in others not so much but I've got to say, from what I've encountered over the past week, NIN has been pretty bad in terms of show count bragging.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
    MMMmmmmmm... thank you!

@Joshua Lami
    You're still an asshole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MMMmmmmmm... thank you!

@Joshua Lami
    You're still an asshole
    Assholes can be fun.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
    Assholes can be fun.
    You would know, I've seen your post in the Fucking thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You would know, I've seen your post in the Fucking thread.
    I plead the 5th.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    I don't know what to think about people who go to see bands 40 or 50 or 100 times by following them.
    i guess for me, it would be kind of crazy. i know some people here on ets do that sort of thing, so please don't take offense.
    for me, catching NAILS twice per tour in dallas was pretty fucking awesome. Good enough for me.
    I've seen LOTS of bands multiple times...tool, primus, rush, ozzy (yes, ozzy-i was young,) Pearl Jam, Type O Negative, Rasputina, Page and Plant...bands that i adored in the days of the $20 dollar ticket and $20 dollar t-shirt.

Now i just go see NIN. I wouldn't pay $200 to see jesus christ and his all star band.
    My question is, how in the hell do you guys AFFORD to go see a band 100 times? the travel, the time off work...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i've seen rasputina a few times, and they're always amazing!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    bands that i adored in the days of the $20 dollar ticket and $20 dollar t-shirt.
    I saw Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies tour and the ticket cost $4.50

Yeah, you read that right.

Oh, and I saw Led Zeppelin for $8.50 (in 1977).

In 2005, I had a lot more time on my hands and was a full time student and my husband loves Nine Inch Nails, too, so he went with me to some shows and I went to a few in Detroit and Canada with a friend and I think altogether it was, like, 18 shows. But the tickets were fairly cheap via the Spiral. And I only had lodging when I flew to California a few times and those shows in Canada, otherwise they were close enough to my house to drive to the show and then drive home after the show. It was kinda fun, like "Allegro On Tour," but then it got really old.

But, I'd DELIBERATELY get to a show just before the 1st band when on, I never got there so early to mess with that whole "rail" thing and, oddly enough, I ended up 2nd or 3rd from the rail at a lot of shows, and it was relaxed and I never stood in ONE god damned line, so I didn't have to deal with the DRAMA I heard about in those Spiral lines. *eyeroll*

"BRANDY MADE US PUT SHARPIE NUMBERS ON OUR HANDS, WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
    Last edited by allegro; 08-29-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I just want to clarify that my issue is not people going to see so many shows, I've done it myself with another artist. I know it takes effort, hard work and cutback for most to do it (I've been there, I earn a respectable wage I'm not made of money, ha!). I don't want to cause offence or for anyone to justify themselves please don't go out your way, it's not necessary.

The issue issue is when the conversation tails off/stops when you're not talking about them, their experiences and the above! LOL! It's like 'um ok... So there's nothing you'd like to ask me? Or know a about me? I didn't realise this was all about YOU!' Thankfully I have no problem finding other people in line/at the rail to have some good banter with, I'll move on so yeah, 'bye!'

I dunno... Maybe I find good chat in the line or at the rail all part of the experience I'm the type that'll strike up a friendly conversation at a bus stop whilst waiting for the bus, I guess that's my nature.
    Last edited by Scarlet Siren; 08-29-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spitefulscorpio View Post
    My husband won't even give NIN a chance because my ex and I listened to NIN together and my oldest daughter was conceived the night of a concert. I know he would really like it. He just associates NIN with my past I guess. Too bad, because NIN is my present as well. Even though we have been together 5 years and have gone on to have two more kids together. I'm dragging him to see NIN on Halloween, it will be his first experience. I'm hoping to make some progress!
    How odd. Do you listen while he's there, or does it have to be when he's not around? (Luckily The Cure has been quiet, so I don't get a lot of digs at them. Just NIN, so far.) Weird how music can be a deal breaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Siren View Post
    The issue issue is when the conversation tails off/stops when you're not talking about them, their experiences and the above! LOL! It's like 'um ok... So there's nothing you'd like to ask me? Or know a about me? I didn't realise this was all about YOU!' Thankfully I have no problem finding other people in line/at the rail to have some good banter with, I'll move on so yeah, 'bye!'

I dunno... Maybe I find good chat in the line or at the rail all part of the experience I'm the type that'll strike up a friendly conversation at a bus stop whilst waiting for the bus, I guess that's my nature.
    are you sure you're not just encountering shy people? or people that just don't feel like talking. (not being critical. just another way of looking at the situation.)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    are you sure you're not just encountering shy people? or people that just don't feel like talking. (not being critical. just another way of looking at the situation.)
    what she's saying is that she ends up talking to people who literally just sit there and talk about themselves without stopping to ask her any questions about herself or let her comment on anything they're "discussing."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    sometimes it's easier to answer questions about yourself than to know what questions to ask someone and when to ask. not saying that's necessarily the case here. obviously, there are some people that just like to talk about themselves. just that sometimes being shy could be confused for being self-centered.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntermc View Post
    I actually know this guy, and he's pretty much the last dude in the world that would say "Play that fuck you like an animal song"..

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    I actually know this guy, and he's pretty much the last dude in the world that would say "Play that fuck you like an animal song"..
    he looks like a really angry big pete (from pete & pete)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Well at the HTDA show in Chicago everyone in the preorder line pretty much started a party when DIIV announced they weren't playing and that left a really bad taste in my mouth. But the lines for Wave Goodbye in '09, LITS, NINJA and With Teeth were all full of great fuckin people. There's some bad eggs out there but a vast majority of you guys are swell ass people.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Well at the HTDA show in Chicago everyone in the preorder line pretty much started a party when DIIV announced they weren't playing and that left a really bad taste in my mouth. But the lines for Wave Goodbye in '09, LITS, NINJA and With Teeth were all full of great fuckin people. There's some bad eggs out there but a vast majority of you guys are swell ass people.
    i was pretty bummed that DIIV didn't play, as i was quite looking forward to seeing them. also, i wish i had actually met some ETS folks at the show (other than recognizing hazekaiah while he was filming).

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i was pretty bummed that DIIV didn't play, as i was quite looking forward to seeing them.
    If you feel consoled by such knowledge, I'm a big fan of the shoegaze/dreampop/lo-fi aesthetic, I bought Oshin, knew the album reasonably well before the show, I enjoyed the album, and live, with two exceptions, it all sounded pretty much like the same song over and over. It wasn't bad, but...I have no way to finish that sentence. Oddly, Mew might take the cake as best Trent-related opener I've seen (A Perfect Circle in 2000, Peaches in 2006, Nicholas Megalis in 2008, and Street Sweeper Social Club & Mew in 2009).

(Exceptions: "How Long Have You Known?" and the something "new" they played).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymad View Post
    How odd. Do you listen while he's there, or does it have to be when he's not around? (Luckily The Cure has been quiet, so I don't get a lot of digs at them. Just NIN, so far.) Weird how music can be a deal breaker.
    Love The Cure, that is good!

I listen to NIN when the husband is around, and I also talk about it nonstop until he goes insane! When I do listen to NIN, he makes comments to try to get under my skin. The thing is that I know he would like TDS for sure and I'm pretty sure he already likes what he's heard from me because he never asks me to turn it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    That reminds me of the time I saw Nine Inch Nails in St. Louis during the Lights in the Sky tour there were these really hoosier looking dudes in front of me that were really into the show but showed their support by flipping their middle finger up in the air. Their arms blocked me very now and then....but I was more confused at what they were flipping off and why.

Guess it was a "OH YEAH BRO, FUCK THE WORLD. 'TERRIBLE LIE' MAN! '24 GHOSTS IV DUDE!"

....not really an encounter so to say, but a really strange observation.

OH MY GOD. i was at that show. i remember those two. i was a few seats over from them. i think one of them put their plastic beer cup in the back pocket of his jeans. they would yell the name of every song except for the instrumentals. they'd never heard those...i may or may not have been the one that yelled '24 ghosts iv dude!' sarcastically at them though. i figured they'd get the point.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i was pretty bummed that DIIV didn't play, as i was quite looking forward to seeing them. also, i wish i had actually met some ETS folks at the show (other than recognizing hazekaiah while he was filming).
    Oh wait no this totally reminds me of another bad experience I had at that show. There was this lady who was like the first person in the pre-sale line or whatever, and she was literally holding a spot for herself on the rail and a second spot on the first raised section, next to where I was standing, holding that spot for two people in the general line. And her way of holding this spot was by setting a poster tube on the ground. Any time a person would stand in that spot she'd run over and chastize them for "trying to steal her spot" even though her OTHER spot was like fucking 30-40 feet away on the barricade. It was INCREDIBLY fucking rude and selfish. I always wondered if she was an ETSer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My negative experiences with other NIN fans are generally not ones that make me think less of other fans. Mainly because talking about NIN with other people has generally made me realise that other people don't appreciate NIN in the same way, or for the same reasons that I do. For me, listening to NIN has always been something that I do alone, in private. Finding out that other people prefer going to concerts than listening to the albums, or they like to get high and listen, or they like NIN to be playing while they fuck, always makes me think "No, stop it, you're doing it wrong!"

Which is my hang up, and nothing to do with them. People can appreciate music any which way they want to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How does one Facepalm

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Lawler View Post
    donate to the board, earn the right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    [Mod note: Mad ravings removed]

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)