Page 151 of 195 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 149 150 151 152 153 161 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,530 of 5848

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Nice soft moon! Is that a recent release or OG?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Nice soft moon! Is that a recent release or OG?
    they did several different colors for its initial release but haven't done any additional pressings, so it's OG! pretty sure my mom got it from amazon?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i got arcade fire's the suburbs for christmas. i love the overall package and artwork. and it sounds fantastic.

add it to my incredibly modest collection:

the slip original pressing
    the downward spiral back to black pressing
    maya, m.i.a., original pressing
    lcd soundsystem/arcade fire "no love lost"/"poupee de cire, poupee de son" split 7"
    "survivalism" english 45
    "the hand that feeds"/"home" picture disc
    "only" richard x/el-p domestic single
    "the hand that feeds" dfa remixes domestic single
    "candy and a currant bun," the mars volta, vinyl/cd promo

i think i'll become a more active collector in 2020. i don't use my turntable all that much, but everytime i do i remember just how much i really love it.
    Last edited by kel; 12-28-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Has anyone else bought records from SRCVinyl.com? I have only two experiences and both have resulted in me having to open a claim with Paypal in order to get any reaction out of them. The first time was when I was ordering Nirvana's UNPLUGGED reissue and this time its Vol.1 of WATCHMEN. I have emailed them on two different occasions asking for an update on my orders and each time I get no response. Instead, I have to open a claim and escalate it to get any response from them and so far its been refunds with no communication behind them. So frustrating since I thought I was good on the Vol.1 LP and passed up a chance to buy it from Amoeba.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Has anyone else bought records from SRCVinyl.com? I have only two experiences and both have resulted in me having to open a claim with Paypal in order to get any reaction out of them. The first time was when I was ordering Nirvana's UNPLUGGED reissue and this time its Vol.1 of WATCHMEN. I have emailed them on two different occasions asking for an update on my orders and each time I get no response. Instead, I have to open a claim and escalate it to get any response from them and so far its been refunds with no communication behind them. So frustrating since I thought I was good on the Vol.1 LP and passed up a chance to buy it from Amoeba.
    i used to order from them ALL THE TIME, but since they shut down their US side of their operation and only do stuff from canada, their prices (and shipping) went up and haven't ordered at all. i never had a problem before, but you're not the first person i've heard of having a problem since that change. hope it gets sorted for you

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The Holiday Haul:
    Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
    Health - Get Color
    Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely
    Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings And Food
    Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross - Watchmen HBO Vol 2

Haven't posted in this thread much this year. Here's a few other favorite LPs I picked up:
    Chelsea Wolfe - Birth Of Violence
    Mogwai - Ten Rapid
    NIN - With Teeth / Fragile Deviations
    Orville Peck - Pony
    Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
    Rammstein - S/T
    Slowdive - Just For A Day
    Sturgill Simpson - Sound And Fury
    TR+AR - Before The Flood / Gone Girl / Watchmen Vol 1

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    oh nice, another AESOP fan!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    None Shall Pass is up there, but my all time favorite has gotta be Bazooka Tooth.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I went back and bought that copy of The Raven, everybody. Lou Reed's final (real) solo album, before he got truly immersed with abstract electronic music — like, Metal Machine Music-level abstract — and joined up with Metallica and shit. Anyway, it bookends his very first solo album nicely, in that I can't decide if it's all genius, or merely half-great and half-terrible. But the ballads are superb; and it's nice to have that Bowie guest appearance on "Hop Frog", as well as the amazing voices of Laurie Anderson and AHNOHI... and Willem Dafoe and Steve Buscemi (particularly their complete performance of two-hander play "The Cask") along with the rest of the Wooster Group actors! [/dork mode] Pressing quality is very good across all three discs (cut by Chris Bellman), and the artwork looks beautiful. Only 5000 of these out there, supposedly.
    Last edited by botley; 12-29-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Got a bunch in the last few weeks/months:

Renor/Ross - Watchmen 1-3 Scores
    Reznor/Ross - Birdbox Score
    NIN - With Teeth
    Ice-T - O.G. Original Gangster (MOV pressing, ice blue marble vinyl)
    Eric B & Rakim - Paid in Full (Green Vinyl)
    Eric B & Rakim - Let the Rhythm Hit Em (Red Vinyl)
    Eric B & Rakim - Follow the Leader (Gold Vinyl)
    Eric B & Rakim - Don't Sweat the Technique (Purple Vinyl)
    Hildur Guðnadóttir - Joker Score (Purple Vinyl)
    RUN D.M.C. - Raising Hell (Green VMP)
    TLC - Fan Mail (Blue/White VMP)
    TLC - Crazy Sexy Cool (Red/White VMP)
    Slipknot - All Out Life (10 inch picture disc)
    Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulagaris (new 12 inch pressing)
    Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf (Red/Black VMP)

Been on an old skool rap kick lately.
    Last edited by renton44; 12-30-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    Been on an old skool rap kick lately.
    If you haven't checked out the Boombox series put out by SoulJazz, you might want to...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    My local Barnes and Noble has a good chunk of their records inventory 50% for some reason.

I grabbed Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Lovey Creatures (greatest hits 1984-2014) 3 lp from them. Original retail was $39.99. $19.99 is a good steal. Doubt I’ll ever bother buying his albums on vinyl so this will suffice.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

alcest • spiritual instinct
    blood red vinyl limited to 500 copies
    x-mas gift to myself

archivist • triumvirate
    2xLP on 180g transparent magenta w/blue swirl limited to 200 copies, gatefold sleeve, credits/lyrics sheet, and fold-out poster

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    My local Barnes and Noble has a good chunk of their records inventory 50% for some reason.

I grabbed Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Lovey Creatures (greatest hits 1984-2014) 3 lp from them. Original retail was $39.99. $19.99 is a good steal. Doubt I’ll ever bother buying his albums on vinyl so this will suffice.
    Just got Bowie Live At Nassau and the Courtney Barnett/Kurt Vile record while visiting family. Looking forward to checking out the BN by my house when I get home.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Can you fix warp at all? The first like, 3 notes of Less Than on my Add Violence record sound really off, it was dropped in shipping - the box it was shipped in and the album have a bump in them. I ordered a month ago today, it's opened, the return policy says they don't take back open media. Not sure what to do. I guess sell it and buy another new one and hope?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    Can you fix warp at all? The first like, 3 notes of Less Than on my Add Violence record sound really off, it was dropped in shipping - the box it was shipped in and the album have a bump in them. I ordered a month ago today, it's opened, the return policy says they don't take back open media. Not sure what to do. I guess sell it and buy another new one and hope?
    There are quite a bit of tutorials out there that you can find on how to fix vinyl warping. Always exercise caution when administering, but it can be done.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Don't buy from them again! No returns on open media is no good if you're selling records - impossible to tell if something is warped without opening it.

Also, maybe get yourself a Michell reflex clamp - great for playing records with small warps.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

two pieces of glass, warmed up in the oven to 200 degrees, place vinyl between the two pieces for 20-30 seconds and then remove everything from the oven. Let cool for 5-10 minutes and you should improve the warp.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    While we're asking for vinyl-related advice...

I have an album that has experienced outgassing from the PVC sleeve in which it came. Is there any way to fix this or is the album a lost cause?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    What country are you in? Check your legal rights. In the UK, they can't get out of being liable for a defective product with "no open return policies". Same for the EU I think.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    While we're asking for vinyl-related advice...

I have an album that has experienced outgassing from the PVC sleeve in which it came. Is there any way to fix this or is the album a lost cause?
    A nice isopropyl alcohol cleaning or two should do it...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    What country are you in? Check your legal rights. In the UK, they can't get out of being liable for a defective product with "no open return policies". Same for the EU I think.
    USA.

I bought it from nin.com

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    USA.

I bought it from nin.com
    Did you try contacting them? That return policy should only refer to returning unwanted media; they should still replace purchases that arrived damaged. I exchange my Deviations record when the sleeve arrived damaged a few years ago no problem.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Did you try contacting them? That return policy should only refer to returning unwanted media; they should still replace purchases that arrived damaged. I exchange my Deviations record when the sleeve arrived damaged a few years ago no problem.

I think today is the last day of the 30 days after arrival that I can open a ticket for it.

Let's hope they're merciful. It gets super high-pitched and off-tempo at the very start of the song, then sort of waves back in to normal tempo and I'd rather just listen to the digtal file than this record.

I should have been attending to it sooner, but the holiday season is hectic. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by laststepdown; 01-02-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I think today is the last day of the 30 days after arrival that I can open a ticket for it.

Let's hope they're merciful. It gets super high-pitched and off-tempo at the very start of the song, then sort of waves back in to normal tempo and I'd rather just listen to the digtal file than this record.

I should have been attending to it sooner, but the holiday season is hectic. Thanks for the help.
    have you compared it to the digital version? i feel like that's part of the song but i could be wrong (and don't want to make you think you're crazy!)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    have you compared it to the digital version? i feel like that's part of the song but i could be wrong (and don't want to make you think you're crazy!)

It definitely sounds different compared to the FLAC.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    If it's warped then you should be able to tell just by looking - put it on your platter and rotate the platter gently with your finger, and look for any gap between the topside of the platter and the underside of the record (you could also look to see if there's any up-and-down motion in the tonearm as the record plays). If it's sitting perfectly flat (or if there's no up-and-down) then it isn't warped. I would think that any warp would have to be quite extreme to account for the pitch wobble that you're hearing. Another explanation might be that the pressing is off-center - again, you can tell by watching the tonearm as the record is playing; if it swings from side to side then the spindle hole is off-center.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

My Canadian soul is appeased, eh?!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    If it's warped then you should be able to tell just by looking - put it on your platter and rotate the platter gently with your finger, and look for any gap between the topside of the platter and the underside of the record (you could also look to see if there's any up-and-down motion in the tonearm as the record plays). If it's sitting perfectly flat (or if there's no up-and-down) then it isn't warped. I would think that any warp would have to be quite extreme to account for the pitch wobble that you're hearing. Another explanation might be that the pressing is off-center - again, you can tell by watching the tonearm as the record is playing; if it swings from side to side then the spindle hole is off-center.

The entire thing looks like it was slammed on one corner really. The damage went through the cardboard and through the sleeve and liner. No, it does not lay flat.

I'm considering just ordering a 2nd with the manhattan hoodie so I get a replacement, even though I'll be down $20ish. The customer service has been completely AWOL.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Yesterday, didn't want to post multiple pictures so here's a list:

David Bowie -- Station To Station [UK, APL1-1327]
    David Bowie -- No Plan EP [US, 88985419651]*
    King Crimson -- Earthbound [UK, HELP 6] (w/ JEM import sticker)
    King Crimson -- Sleepless (Maxi Single) [US, 0-20193]
    Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross -- Gone Girl [US, 88875 02953 1]*

* = new, sealed

I'd really like to pick up Bowie At The Beeb and Who Can I Be Now? for half price.