Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Cranberries

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

The Cranberries

The Cranberries have always been one of those bands that I've always liked, but was never super into. That said, the more I listen to them the more I like them. I have their new (final) album, In the End, and gave it a cursory listen and really liked what I heard.

I bought a box set years ago that has their first four albums, and I always liked their singles:

Thoughts on their new album and the band overall?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I was hooked on this band ever since a girl in my 7th grade algebra class wanted me to trade a ripped Downward Spiral cassette for No Need to Argue. In fact, they were probably one of the first concerts I ever saw ('95?), courtesy of my mom, who I still take to shows once in a while! I saw them again in 2002, and I tried a couple more times throughout the years but they canceled both shows. :/

The first two albums are just absolutely five star classics. The rest fall into some pretty admittedly average territory, but there's bits and pieces from all of them that make them worthwhile. Dolores had such a fucking insanely powerful voice. The new album is just a sad testament that it's the last we'll hear of it. I don't know if that's clouding my judgment, but it's a great return to form for the band.

As a side note, their guitar work - particularly in Animal Instinct - has always reminded me of The Cure. It was nice to see Noel write into Billboard to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Disintegration and say that it inspired the guitar work on All Over Now.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I think a lot of people (especially girls) from my generation (I'm 38) were hooked on these guys during the mid 90s. I was way into those first two albums in my younger days, but the rest had diminishing returns for me. Say what you will about how annoying a song like "Zombie" got to be with its endless radio play, but that song is so killer. The guitars and the drums are awesome. "Linger" is another song I'll probably never get over. And I guess Dolores (R.I.P.) had kind of a poor man's Sinead O'Connor thing happening, but she was still great in her time.

As for the guitar work, I thought that (much like The Sundays) they owed a huge debt to The Smiths. I guess that explains why the early material was produced by Stephen Street.
    Last edited by piggy; 05-05-2019 at 11:52 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I never really followed them back in the day, so I never really got a chance to get sick of them. Same with Live.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Such a shame what happened to her.

I like the new song "All Over Now".

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    that made me tear up