Page 83 of 191 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 133 183 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnjollyIrishman View Post
    I like Avenged Sevenfold.
    They're okay. I do like the song that M. Shadows recorded with Slash on his first solo album.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I love Alice In Chains, but Mad Season might be the best thing that Layne ever did.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I've accepted the fact that people like different music. I will no longer shit on someone for liking
    music that I don't like. You dig what you dig, there are probably personal reasons you like the music you do. Whether it be nine inch nails, jay z, or avenged sevenfold.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Ilan Rubin posted a pic of a Beatles box set called 'Mono' - call me stupid but why would anyone want this? I'm presuming the originals were in mono but that is because of limitations surely, rather than sounding better?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Ilan Rubin posted a pic of a Beatles box set called 'Mono' - call me stupid but why would anyone want this? I'm presuming the originals were in mono but that is because of limitations surely, rather than sounding better?
    Those 2009(?) re-issues didn't have mono remastering I believe, minus the initial box set you speak of. Those were partially well received but I know a lot of people hated them. Some prefer mono over stereo mixing. I'm not one of them. it's kinda whatever.

Last edited by Space Suicide; 09-10-2014 at 01:54 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    People despise the stereo mixes of The Beatles material because they weren't supervised by The Beatles, lacked certain elements that were in the mono, plus the early stereo mixes blow ass. Yes, they may sound clearer, but the panning of the instruments is vomit inducing. Also, the mono mixes sound better out loud on a system.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    @jmtd said he didn't "get" In Utero, which was probably Mission Accomplished for Kurt Cobain, then @jmtd gets jumped on for stating his ... gasp ... controversial opinion in the ... yeah, you got it.
    Hee hee, thanks for jumping to my defence... I missed every single reply until just now when I've viewed in a proper browser for the first time in ages. I guess by "get" I mean... I don't get why anyone likes it. Nevermind is clearly superior I think. And yes I think this is almost the archetypical of controversial opinions.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Controversial Music Opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    There's one obvious one (otherwise I agree)
    Arguably new order, although they snapped out of it after one album.
    Last edited by jmtd; 09-10-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    The only Nirvana album I really like is Bleach because I'm a stupid hipster. Unplugged doesn't really count as an album but I kinda like that one too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Am I crazy, or has David Gilmour evolved into a superior artist to Roger Waters?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    People despise the stereo mixes of The Beatles material because they weren't supervised by The Beatles, lacked certain elements that were in the mono, plus the early stereo mixes blow ass. Yes, they may sound clearer, but the panning of the instruments is vomit inducing. Also, the mono mixes sound better out loud on a system.
    I have the original CD releases, so everything up until Help! was in mono as God intended. But I don't see a reason to go all mono.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fractal04 View Post
    Am I crazy, or has David Gilmour evolved into a superior artist to Roger Waters?
    David Gilmour is definitely superior to Roger Waters. Is this even controversial? I thought most people agreed on this.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    In 2009 two new Beatles sets were released, one in stereo and one in mono. Some people swear by the mono--claiming that it was what the Beatles had in mind, as they had final say over the mono mixes and not the stereo ones. Both the 2009 stereo and mono remasters sound fantastic. I lean toward the stereo as that's what I'm used to, but the mono is worth checking out if you are a big Beatles fan. The chorus of "Eleanor Rigby" ( in mono) in particular is so immediate and haunting.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 09-10-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post
    David Gilmour is definitely superior to Roger Waters. Is this even controversial? I thought most people agreed on this.
    No way, and I love Gilmour.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Modern female artists would be nowhere now if it wasn't for Fiona and Tori. Of course, they owe their careers to their predecessors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Paramore is a pretty obviously shitty band, and they suck in almost every conceivable textbook way.

What do you like about them? I don't want to sound confrontational about it, I honestly am mostly unfamiliar with their music actually outside of the singles that have made radio and grocery store airplay. But, there just seems to be really nothing compelling or interesting going on there.

There's got to be something I'm missing, because it sells, but from what I've heard it's just some of the most empty stuff. With a lot of music that I dislike, I can still at least understand what others like about it. I do not get it at all with Paramore.
    I'm not entirely sure what about them I like, I think it's almost like they fill a position in my music rotation of something I can just shut my brain off and listen to. Their lyrics are terrible, the music is just simple by the numbers radio rock (especially their newest album, which replaced all the other members besides the vocalist), but something about them just hits the right spot for me. Their earlier albums had some fun drum sections scattered about and some of the guitar parts were pretty catchy. I definitely don't love everything they've put out, but the songs I do enjoy (every other song on Riot, most of Brand New Eyes, and most of their most recent release) I feel like I can just listen to at any time and enjoy.
    I don't really know what it is, it's not like a teenage nostalgia fueling it (I only started listening to them about two years ago). I dunno, it's just catchy generic pop, and I guess its manufactured, by the numbers demographic targeting managed to somehow hit me. I mean the reason the other band members left was primarily because they just felt like they were being used by the label and the vocalist to create generic music and that they felt they were just disposable parts in a machine they had no input on.

God damn that One Armed Scissor cover is awful.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Modern female artists would be nowhere now if it wasn't for Fiona and Tori. Of course, they owe their careers to their predecessors.
    ...and in that same sense, Tori would be nowhere without Kate Bush.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Attila is awesome.

Like...really awesome.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'm not into them but I don't really get the hatred, really there is a lot worse than their TV dinner 21st century gnr. Plus they stitched up that prat portnoy by luring him away from dream theater and then binning him off - excellent work
    I don't really care either way when it comes to their music (don't really like it but I'm not horrified by it, and they're good musicians, so there's that), but I think a lot of the added on irritation is due to their political bullshit. They're very jingoistic, and they're really proud of themselves for being so ra-ra-ra-go-Merica. They bash other bands for being anti-war or Unamerican. They're practically a Tea Party metal band.

I'm basically in the camp where none of that matters to me really. If I like the music, I could give a fuck what they stand for or what they think, to a certain extent. But since I don't really like their music anyway...

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Attila is awesome.
    >implying there is a metalcore band that doesn't suck

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    >implying the whole genre doesn't get a fair shot.

shiggy

srs though, look into beartooth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Metalcore ain't that bad tbh, most of the older bands in the genre are pretty damn awesome (Killswitch Engage, Converge, Dillinger, Chimaira, Hatebreed, Every Time I Die, Norma Jean, among others) and even some of the newer bands in the genre are pretty good (Architects, Iwrestledabearonce, Enter Shikari, Bring Me The Horizon (Flame Shield Up), Beartooth, A Day To Remember (I know they're a mix of pop-punk and metalcore, but they write some catchy shit imo), Of Mice And Men (See ADTR, but replace pop-punk with nu metal), Whitechapel, The Acacia Strain (Both Deathcore, but in that same area of unfair hatred) thats pretty much it for me).
    Please don't ban me from the forum.
    Last edited by UnjollyIrishman; 09-12-2014 at 09:49 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Let's just say I absolutely despise the entire genre (adding mdm and deathcore here because it all sounds the same to me = unlistenable) and then I'll go back to my corner.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    All Chino Moreno projects these days are boring and sound the same. He hasn't made a great record since White Pony (2000).

Dave Grohl is a worthless and cheesy hack; so what if he drummed for Nirvana? Foo Fighters are boring and cliched as they come, and he has nothing to offer the world beyond generic rock. They are basically Nickelback.

Opeth are so so boring. Now they're a 70s prog tribute act they are more boring than ever.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 09-12-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm probably going to get some grief for this but.... I think Ryan Adams' Rock N' Roll album is one of the finest albums of the 2000s.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Probably not controversial but seeing so many commercials and previews of that 4th and Loud show on AMC is grating. Is there nothing these money hungry clowns (Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons) won't cash in on? Now you own a football team? No, not saying they aren't allowed to but I know this is just money handling really. making a reality show on it too. Just ugh.

No wonder Ace Frehley and Peter Criss got the hell out of dodge.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    ...and in that same sense, Tori would be nowhere without Kate Bush.
    Soooooooooo true.

Last edited by allegro; 09-12-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I love Alice In Chains, but Mad Season might be the best thing that Layne ever did.
    I want to agree with this and i see why but i can't place one over the other personally. I will say imo Mad Season were/are one of the better Super Groups to date though.

Also while i too never really got into the whole Metalcore thing i did like a few of those bands. Bleeding Through had a couple good records and having recently seen White Chapel I would have to through them in as well. Not my thing but those two i felt did/do it right. Same with Avenged not a fan but i did chance to see them live and will have to say they had a good stage show and sounded good as to be expected.

U2 just needs to stop.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Probably not controversial but seeing so many commercials and previews of that 4th and Loud show on AMC is grating. Is there nothing these money hungry clowns (Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons) won't cash in on? Now you own a football team? No, not saying they aren't allowed to but I know this is just money handling really. making a reality show on it too. Just ugh.

No wonder Ace Frehley and Peter Criss got the hell out of dodge.
    Criss was fired and Ace quiet because of his substance abuse problems.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Criss was fired and Ace quiet because of his substance abuse problems.
    Yeah but they never got along either. There's a ton of bad blood between. Crazy if you think otherwise.