169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    The Monkees>TOOL
    lol, now you are just trollin'

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    lol, now you are just trollin'
    Nope. I love the Monkees and was just never into TOOL.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-19-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Nope. I love the Monkees and was just never into TOOL.
    I bet you do, yet there's no comparison, both bands are totally different, i understand if you like one better that the other, but comparing them seems a bit forced
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 03-19-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I bet you do, yet there's no comparison, bith bands are totally different, i understand if you like one better that the other, but comparing
    them seems a bit forced
    I didn't really mean to compare the two. To restate, I prefer The Monkees to TOOL.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    ^Man, I had a crush on Peter Tork when I was a kid.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    ^Man, I had a crush on Peter Tork when I was a kid.
    Not sure if this is controversial, but he was a pretty underrated songwriter, IMO.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    hall and oates are pop geniuses.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    There's nothing controversial about that. We all know that they're geniuses. And yes, the Monkees are awesome!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Pink Floyd are garbage. I've never, ever got why they became huge.
    They want to be The Beatles, except they lack the songs and the charisma. Their stuff takes itself way too seriously, and is full of a misguided sense of self-importance: bloated, pretentious, and worst of all, deadly boring.
    Where are the fucking songs? Wish You Were Here is a joke.
    Dark Side of the Moon is background wallpaper music. The Wall is a relentless chore. Another Brick in the Wall - a shitty annoying song in its own right - appears bloody three times on the album. I had my students watch the movie for class, and we were all stumped. It's terrible, narcissistic nonsense. The only scene that saves itself is the Nazi concert.
    And what the fuck is The Division Bell?
    Maybe one day it will click and I'll be "ah, yes, Pink Floyd, I get it." So far they just make me angry.
    I mean U2 have catchy songs, they write earworms, I get it. Let them be megastars, they've earned it.
    Pink Floyd nada de nada.
    They are the righteous affirmation of blandness, everything I hate about music: we have the right to be this bland and you're going to like it because we are legends and everyone loves Pink Floyd so shut up.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    paging @halo33 to thread.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    They want to be The Beatles, except they lack the songs and the charisma. Their stuff takes itself way too seriously, and is full of a misguided sense of self-importance: bloated, pretentious, and worst of all, deadly boring.
    Dark Side of the Moon is background wallpaper music. The Wall is a relentless chore. Another Brick in the Wall - a shitty annoying song in its own right - appears bloody three times on the album. I had my students watch the movie for class, and we were all stumped. It's terrible, narcissistic nonsense. The only scene that saves itself is the Nazi concert.
    Maybe one day it will click and I'll be "ah, yes, Pink Floyd, I get it." So far they just make me angry.
    I mean U2 have catchy songs, they write earworms, I get it. Let them be megastars, they've earned it.
    Pink Floyd nada de nada.
    They are the righteous affirmation of blandness, everything I hate about music: we have the right to be this bland and you're going to like it because we are legends and everyone loves Pink Floyd so shut up.

Holy shit, dude. I'm not even gonna argue. I just genuinely feel bad that you don't experience Pink Floyd like most people do. You are missing so much.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Pink Floyd nada de nada.
    what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I can't say I agree with that at all. Gilmour is a great guitar player and singer. I even love his solo work.

And no, I never made it through the movie.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I don't feel that strongly about this, but I agree with what Aggroculture's saying about the sense of self-importance in their music. Putting on a Pink Floyd record is like stepping into a cold museum. There's this really heavy, serious vibe that just bums me out. I think they're at their best without all the pretentious art rock shit, when they're just making solid jams, like "Time." And that's that I really enjoy wanky art rock shit, I just think don't think it's their best mode.
    Last edited by Mantra; 03-20-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Sorry, I stopped paying attention when I read "They wanted to be The Beatles...".

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Pink Floyd wanted to be The Beatles? Yeah, it's a little too early for April Fools day to be posting absolutely ridiculous statements like that. The only two songs they have that seem to try to be Beatles songs are Julia Dream and Point Me At The Sky, which the band despise.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    "wanted to be" is a bit strong, but the Beatles references go beyond those two early songs. There are some on Dark Side Of The Moon (in fact you can hear a muzak version of "Ticket To Ride" play faintly towards the end of "Eclipse".

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Dark Side of the Moon is background wallpaper music.
    I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan but that is blasphemy!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Opeth is super boring.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I don't mean they attempt to reproduce The Beatles in a slavish way like Oasis. But I do hear The Beatles in their sound. I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg if you look closer into it: http://www.gigwise.com/news/36981/pi...by-the-beatles
    Also it's not just the sound, but the vibe, their approach to the concept of the band; even the name "Pink Floyd" has a kind of Beatles-esque whimsy to it, sounds like a character right out of Sgt. Pepper or the White Album.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Opeth is super boring.
    Objective fact. Also: Mikael Akerfeldt is totally unfunny. His band is his best joke.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This isn't controversial, but I needed to say it somewhere: John Darnielle is an amazing person.

even the name "Pink Floyd" has a kind of Beatles-esque whimsy to it, sounds like a character right out of Sgt. Pepper or the White Album.
    If you're getting that from the name, then it's assuredly inadvertent. The name was created at the spur of a moment, and out of respect and tribute to two musicians that Syd Barrett was incredibly influenced by:
    Pink Anderson and Floyd Council. The name was originally The Pink Floyd Sound, but as you can understand since that's a mouthful to say, they shortened it.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 03-21-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I've never been the biggest Doors fan (with exceptions), but Hendrix was a god. I'm firmly of the belief that if you don't like Hendrix, you either haven't heard the right live recording, or you just don't like guitars.
    Jinsai, Hendrix is a great guitar player. And i did the obligatory listening to (and learning about half of) his work when i was in high school.
    But it's just boring to me now. I mean, do you still listen to it? My tastes have changed over the years, from metallica and pantera to Boards of Canada and Steely Dan, and all kinds of shit in between.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Controversial Music Opinions...

I don't mean they attempt to reproduce The Beatles in a slavish way like Oasis. But I do hear The Beatles in their sound. I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg if you look closer into it: http://www.gigwise.com/news/36981/pi...by-the-beatles
    Also it's not just the sound, but the vibe, their approach to the concept of the band; even the name "Pink Floyd" has a kind of Beatles-esque whimsy to it, sounds like a character right out of Sgt. Pepper or White Album.
    Are you talking old Syd Pink Floyd or post Syd Pink Floyd? Because I'm a huge Beatles fan and I don't know wtf you're talking about and I'm trying to relate even a fraction, here. I'm sure you must be aware that there are LOTS of successful bands that were "inspired by" the Beatles. Which doesn't mean they sound anything at all like the Beatles.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-22-2014 at 04:58 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Is there something wrong with me for finding this absolutely nausea inducing? People keep sharing it on facebook and it's just hideous (I have two kids and I don't know anything about McFly, but I hate 'just a guy and his acoustic guitar' type music)
    http://blog.relationshipsurgery.com/...eir-pregnancy/

Personally I'd prefer someone to make something sarcastic about the absolute Hades having kids can be

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Jinsai, Hendrix is a great guitar player. And i did the obligatory listening to (and learning about half of) his work when i was in high school.
    But it's just boring to me now. I mean, do you still listen to it? My tastes have changed over the years, from metallica and pantera to Boards of Canada and Steely Dan, and all kinds of shit in between.
    For me, it's all about finding the live performances where he showed just how ahead of his time he was. It's too bad this youtube video's sound quality is kind of shit, but it still blows my mind

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm apparently the only one I know who listens to the new Pixies.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Controversial Opinion: Kraftwerk was kinda just OK live. (Sorry)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'm apparently the only one I know who listens to the new Pixies.
    "Bagboy" was awesome i don't know why nobody liked it...