Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Slipknot

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Hmm, so I gave this a spin today and I am not that overwhelmed like I thought I will be. Yet again this record is fucking brutal and a massive step forward for this band!

Favorites: killpop, the negative on, nomadic, custer and lech

I will have to let this sink in but one thing is sure: if these guys come around my neck of the woods I'll be there and hoping for some new material to get proper stage time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm liking this album a lot more than I thought I would. AHIG was sort of bland to me, but this album sounds more interesting. To me, I see a mash-up of Iowa/Vol. 3 with splashes of AHIG mixed in. It's all over the place, in a good way, like Vol. 3 was. I like the bursts of melody mixed with the overall brutality of the album.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I don't understand why AHIG gets so much shit because it's a really solid album.

As far as the new album goes, it's pretty killer. Killpop, AOV, and The Burden (bonus track) are all standouts to me.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    The bonus tracks are out?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    The bonus tracks are out?
    Yes indeed.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    I don't understand why AHIG gets so much shit because it's a really solid album.
    AHIG sounded like a run of the mill butt rock album. It sounded like Godsmask or any other butt-rock bands mimicking what they feel like a Slipknot album sounds like. It was hot garbage. Totally unmemorable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I still don't get why it was so praised by critics.

This Cold Black was a nice song, I liked Vendetta, but the rest was barely listenable (OK, Gematria I can appreciate, even though I didn't like the overall style).
    Songs like Butcher's Hook, Wherein Lies Continue are so boring.
    And Corey's lyrics seemed to hit an all-time low, I thought he was just picking random rhyming words. Heard a rumour somewhere that Joey wrote a lot of the stuff, and the rest of the guys weren't too inspired by it.

Listened to .5 a couple of times today during the commute to and from work. Not a huge fan of Lech, seems unmemorable. If Rain Is What You Want is epic, best album closer they've had, I guess. The pre-chorus part of Skeptic (I will keep your soul alive) is cool, the riff is a tad Metallica-sounding. Overall, this is a great album, the overall mood is however murky and dark enough to make it hard to listen to all the time. Fits the Saint-Petersburg cold rainy Russian autumn well enough though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've listened to it twice now, and I still have the same impression as the first. I like all of the pre-album leak tracks more than the album as a whole. I get that "Skeptic" is written directly about Paul, but I really don't like the chorus. It just comes off corny to me... As for the rest of the album, it's okay. I definitely like the overall sound, but I think what really kills it is some of Corey's lyrics. He seemed to favor being more direct about things on this album, and I think it started getting stale on some of the tracks. It's funny I say that because, earlier in this thread, I mentioned that he was better at being direct with his lyrics. I definitely like this album more than the previous two, but I can't help but feel like something's missing for me.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I like it. So much better than the last one. Not sure if I can compare it to the first three though. This one seemed like they had a point to prove. The first three were legit. You can kinda tell when a band just isn't "hungry" any more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good interview with Corey. I'm really excited that they are going to be playing a different set each night on this upcoming tour.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Did some quick noodling around while listening to the record and came up with two designs that I choose for my iPod to listen to the album. Feel free to take these if you're unhappy with the official design aswell:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    much better. seriously, this album with that cover art? tragic and annoying.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Liking this so far... but really isn't hitting me the way AHIG to be honest. Skeptic could have been sooo much better if that cheesy chorus wasn't in it, but some songs could be cut a minute or 2 short to prevent the songs from dragging in the beginning of the album. Seems as if some of the songs are out of place on the track listing but complaints here musically... holy shit it is it brutal and in your face. I don't think they will ever top Vol.3 with this is a great addition to the Slipknot library if not, the last.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I downloaded the leak and I must echo what everyone else has said regarding Killpop. I've mostly skimmed the tracks but will give a better listen tomorrow in my car for some driving tunes.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Also, I told you I'd make her disappear.

No, this isn't top quality. I did it in about 10 minutes. use if you want.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Slipknot

Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Did some quick noodling around while listening to the record and came up with two designs that I choose for my iPod to listen to the album. Feel free to take these if you're unhappy with the official design aswell:

Hey anyway you could do one like this but without the words in the middle

Nice work on the custom ones!
    Thanks for your work!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    "XIX" has officially debuted: http://www.5thegraychapter.com/xix It's also available on Spotify. Odd, considering "Custer" was "debuted" on Friday, and it hasn't been added.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 10-13-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    AOV is so much fun to play along. Such a brutal song.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    They're touring Europe with Korn? I may go and indulge my inner 15 year old. The Dublin tickets are a tad more expensive than I would like them to be, though.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Yeah, they announced an UK+Europe tour yesterday. I will probably hit the Amsterdam show, although it seems to be one of the few dates without Korn on the tour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Track-by-track breakdown of the album by Jim Root:
    http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2014...ots-new-album/
    Interesting that some of the coolest tracks were written by Corey (Lech, Goodbye, Nomadic; Corey also plays bass on Goodbye). Also weird how Jim seems to have no idea what the songs are about.

P.S. Just noticed that the ending of Goodbye (last 10 seconds) is the same riff as in Nomadic (the 'I'm gonna make you cry tonight').
    Last edited by Kunstmord; 10-14-2014 at 07:15 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Sarcastrophe is classic Slipknot. LOVE IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Watching Disasterpieces again, oh my it is awesome.
    I think before I get the new album on Tuesday, I'm gonna give the albums another listen (even Dead Memories from AHIG) to prepare myself for the awsome.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnjollyIrishman View Post
    Watching Disasterpieces again, oh my it is awesome.
    I think before I get the new album on Tuesday, I'm gonna give the albums another listen (even Dead Memories from AHIG) to prepare myself for the awsome.
    Disasterpieces really is great. I watch it at least once a year and it probably one of my favorite live DVD's ever. I love how you can change to the camera angles that are close up on the strings and such... plus, that was still the dread lock days .

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I really hope they play Sarcastrophe in OKC. I hope their setlist looks like this:

XIX (played on tape)
    Sarcastrophe
    Liberate
    Wait and Bleed
    Get This
    Before I Forget
    Disasterpiece
    The Devil in I
    Killpop
    Vermillion
    Snuff
    Be Prepared For Hell (tape)
    The Negative One
    The Heretic Anthem
    Only One
    All Hope is Gone
    Duality
    Spit it Out
    People = Shit
    --------
    (sic)
    Surfacing

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I expect a heavy setlist of new songs. Also they will be switching set lists when over seas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've been listening to Gray Chapter, and pretty much that alone, for a week now. Very solid record. I think it may even be my top pick, just a little above Vol. 3. I'm glad people seem to like it. I think this record had the deck stacked against it from the beginning, and it's cool to see a lot of people who were almost dead-set on hating it being totally blown away.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If your at interest in this album head to slipknot reddit, everything you need to know is here. And the guys are pretty cool over there too. Nothing against ETS, there's just a ton going on over there

http://www.reddit.com/r/Slipknot/