Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Skateboards 3.22.24

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Welcome Skateboards 3.22.24

Figured we should start a thread for whatever this is. New single for an upcoming album? Here's hoping!

EDIT: Looks like it's a collaboration with Welcome Skateboards. K.

https://welcomeskateboards.com/
    Last edited by Toadflax; 03-19-2024 at 12:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    to quote the man himself:
    “bruv”

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I think I caught a glimpse of the merch designs, couple T-shirts and hoodies with some TDS-era artwork (including Woodstock '94 imagery) and lines from the lyrics. Kind of nice but not really worth the markup for slapping the Welcome brand on it if you (like me) don't give a shit about skateboarding.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I posted about this here a few days ago. I think the links in the comments to all the apparel are dead now but you can at least see the skateboard designs and there’s a list of the apparel in the original Reddit post.

https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...708#post585708

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It's skateboards, hoodies and T-shirt, commemorating TDS.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...e_skateboards/

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    So strange for something like this to be worthy of an @everyone tag on the Discord as well as a teaser announcement leading up to it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If you've been around for TDS you've probably exceeded the age in which it is advisable to start using a skateboard! 😛

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    First thought...

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    They'll do ANYTHING except repress year zero lol

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Yeah...who is this for? Jogging pants, sure, beach towels, okay, umbrellas...uh...fine?, but this? If skateboards and a picture of Reznor with the album art is all there is to commemorate the 30th anniversary...shit, man...

I honestly don't even NEED anything to mark the occasion, but this is just kind of weird.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Yeah...who is this for? Jogging pants, sure, beach towels, okay, umbrellas...uh...fine?, but this? If skateboards and a picture of Reznor with the album art is all there is to commemorate the 30th anniversary...shit, man...

I honestly don't even NEED anything to mark the occasion, but this is just kind of weird.
    C'mon Paul. Who is this for? Skaters. The mid-90s saw HUGE growth in skateboarding culture, coupled tightly with alternative & punk music, so there's not only a lot of actual nostalgia for that era from people who were teens back then, but it's also a bit of a fantastyland "man I wish I was around for the mid-90s" for a subset of kids today. A lot of my friends in central PA got into bands like Ministry because the music was used in skating compilation videos that they either picked up from the skate shop or maybe ordered from the back of Thrasher. (note: I've never actually thumbed through Thrasher) There's inherently a lot of fashion crossover too, whether the people wearing the clothes want to admit it or not. To put a finer point to it: last year, Tony Hawk sang a cover of Wish, and filmed a video, with a cameo from Trent.

Personally, I don't vibe with jogging pants, beach towels, umbrellas, or tote bags, but a "Ruiner" work shirt? That's kind of my shit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    You make a fair point @Leviathant . It's easy to get jaded about it and just think "I guess his kids are into skateboarding now, so here's this collaboration". This isn't my thing, so I'll check it out, and move along. But I do think that there might be less grumbling about stuff like this if they ACTUALLY RELEASED THE DE REISSUES OF YEAR ZERO AND THE SLIP!!!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    That closer tee is sufficiently minimal on the Welcome aspect

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Skateboards! Hahahaha

I feel like we're being trolled at this stage.

But hey, I guess a skateboard is better than a transparent plastic bag, right?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    So strange for something like this to be worthy of an @everyone tag on the Discord as well as a teaser announcement leading up to it.
    I caught the leak on Reddit minutes after it was posted, but I can definitely see how this might have gotten others excited thinking it was for something like a new song or even a new album. It's like when Tool posted a countdown and it was just for a new merch drop and everyone was pissed because they were expecting something more worthwhile.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    C'mon Paul. Who is this for? Skaters. The mid-90s saw HUGE growth in skateboarding culture, coupled tightly with alternative & punk music, so there's not only a lot of actual nostalgia for that era from people who were teens back then, but it's also a bit of a fantastyland "man I wish I was around for the mid-90s" for a subset of kids today. A lot of my friends in central PA got into bands like Ministry because the music was used in skating compilation videos that they either picked up from the skate shop or maybe ordered from the back of Thrasher. (note: I've never actually thumbed through Thrasher) There's inherently a lot of fashion crossover too, whether the people wearing the clothes want to admit it or not. To put a finer point to it: last year, Tony Hawk sang a cover of Wish, and filmed a video, with a cameo from Trent.

Personally, I don't vibe with jogging pants, beach towels, umbrellas, or tote bags, but a "Ruiner" work shirt? That's kind of my shit.
    I guess I'm more wondering about the crossover of NIN fans and skaters. Normal people jog and use totes, towels, and umbrellas, whether or not there's a NIN logo on it probably doesn't matter that much. But, as you said, skaters in the 90s were into NIN, Ministry, etc. I know a few skaters, and to them, Nine Inch Nails is "the band that composer is in". Obviously, that's not ALL skaters, it just seems a bit specific?

And I'd totally fuck with a work shirt, depending on the size of that "welcome" logo.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yo I want that pig one

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Wish I could’ve seen these shirt designs before they disappeared. I’ll be traveling tomorrow but hoping I can check in and get something if I like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome's website has an extra design, limited to 250.
    Zumiez site is not showing them at all.
    Tactics.com had some, but are sold out. They were cheaper than the other sites and had free shipping.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I might have to pick up that TDS sweater. I like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I got the sweater

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Zumiez now has everything on their website

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I got all four decks. I like the sweater, but my wallet is already hurting after getting the decks.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    i got the sweater and the hurt graphic t.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    i can't afford it right now, but in another reality i'd be wearing that sweater every xmas for the rest of my life.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I got the Hurt shirt.

I really like the Ruiner jacket but that’s something I’d need to feel and possibly try on before I got it.
    Last edited by Swykk; 03-22-2024 at 05:04 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I got the work jacket and the Piggy shirt off Zumiez. Goddamn if I was still 13 I would have been all about getting an NIN deck and actually using it.

Normally I hate on Zumiez for being a bullshit mall chain skateshop, because of fucking course I hate that on principle, but in this case good on them for actually having this.

Not paying $99 for a hoodie when NIN themselves didn't even charge that much at the fucking concert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just happened to walk by a Zumiez today in downtown Chicago. I’m in town for a concert tomorrow night (Orbital). I saw the hoodie in the window and thought that was weird so I walked in. The staff were all stoked about the “drop” and there was this buzz in the store about the clothing. In the end I didn’t like that the hoodie covered the NIN logo with “welcome” but it all looked really great and unique. Ended up picking up the jacket and tee. In the end I’m glad that it’s a new take in and band/brand I’m already in love with. For clarification the band and brand are both NIN. Never heard of welcome until today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Managed to grab Ruiner workshirt. I would also buy MOTP shirt but costs of shipping to Poland is huge. I hope American L size is similar to European one.