Page 215 of 215 FirstFirst ... 115 165 205 213 214 215
Results 6,421 to 6,449 of 6449

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    But it ended up being 13 tracks, so which song is a bad punch to the face?
    Every Day Is Exactly The Same?

I can’t find any proof now but I always thought Interscope made Trent write/release it because it was more single material, but he hated it?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    That quote about 12 punches was from February 2004, way before they had any idea of the final tracklist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Right Where It Belongs doesn't have a real "punch to the face" quality, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Actually, remember when Love Is Not Enough was added to the website track list at the last minute?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Actually, remember when Love Is Not Enough was added to the website track list at the last minute?
    no. (did it really happen?)
    but I remember them having fun with tentative Year Zero trasklists when they were posting an image with song titles obscured with square characters, and they refreshed that image several times in span of few days with different number of tracks. (I can't find it now).

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    no. (did it really happen?)
    but I remember them having fun with tentative Year Zero trasklists when they were posting an image with song titles obscured with square characters, and they refreshed that image several times in span of few days with different number of tracks. (I can't find it now).
    Yep, back when the typewriter font was on nin.com they revealed the track list, but it omitted LINE. A day or so later it was added in.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Is there anything interesting going on in BYIT and AATCHB 5.1 mixes? Can you play with channels and pull out instrumentals, or just vocals, or otherwise completely messed up mixes with half of instruments missing?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    So I remember there was something about Tom Baker doing two different masters for Hesitation Marks, supposedly one version with more dynamics and another mastered for a more standard modern "loudness." Does anyone here know what would be the easiest way to hear a high quality comparison of the two?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    So I remember there was something about Tom Baker doing two different masters for Hesitation Marks, supposedly one version with more dynamics and another mastered for a more standard modern "loudness." Does anyone here know what would be the easiest way to hear a high quality comparison of the two?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Not a comparison, but here is their explanation about the masters: https://www.nin.wiki/Hesitation_Marks#Different_masters

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    I was going to link the exact same video, really appreciate Ian's perspective on mastering for the optimum dynamic range, his whole site (and the podcast he hosts, The Mastering Show) are great deep-dives if you're into this nerdy stuff.

The vinyl mastering sounds best of all, of course

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I can't stand the trend towards squashed loud mixes... smashing the dynamics kills the emotion in music. The remaster I heard of Smells Like Teen Spirit comes to mind... when the "lights out it's less dangerous" part kicks in w/ the chorus, it's supposed to impact with some force... but in the remaster it just carries on ahead without a dynamic shift. It sucks.

Regarding NIN, I like that he's always worked with Tom Baker. I've attended a session with him, and he's brilliant. I also liked his newer remasters of Fragile and PHM... though like the Nirvana instance, I feel like the chorus to Head Like a Hole has a bigger impact in the original digital master. You can't really get better than Baker though, and I was curious to A/B the differences with the Hesitation Marks versions.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've never seen that video before, but he pretty much sums up the thoughts I've had on the audiophile version. I've never really noticed a big enough difference between the two to justify why it exists, and that's knowing that the audiophile one essentially has more bass. Seeing the DR values being pretty close, and seeing the comparisons between the two versions, I can see why audiophile version is better, but it does seem like they could have gone further with it or else why do it at all. Also, I do find it funny that he focused on the guitar distortion during Everything, because I'm sure that's more of a sonic choice they made for guitar sound as opposed to any byproduct of mixing or mastering.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Hmm.. apparently I never noticed that TR has a sister called Tera Reznor. What does she do? What is their relationship like?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    @howdidislipinto - why the face palm? I legitimately didn’t know until reading a wiki article last week.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Hmm.. apparently I never noticed that TR has a sister called Tera Reznor. What does she do? What is their relationship like?
    All I know is that her name was mentioned in some very early internet-era FAQs (in the obligatory section about Reznor heaters and his familiy in general). That's it. She isn't public/media person and Trent never mentioned her, so we don't know and don't need to know.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Her son is Damian who is Trent’s front of stage tech. Very nice dude that has hooked me up with a couple setlists and guitar picks. He does some DJ work too under the name dameburns.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    sorry if the facepalm felt rude, just yeah -- that's a private person who has nothing to do with the band we like. even if someone knew what she did or what their relationship was like, that shouldn't be talked about here? feels stalker-ish.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    sorry if the facepalm felt rude, just yeah -- that's a private person who has nothing to do with the band we like. even if someone knew what she did or what their relationship was like, that shouldn't be talked about here? feels stalker-ish.
    haha, sorry, I should’ve worded that better. Yeah, cool tidbit to know. Cheers guys.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Does a lossless instrumental Year Zero exist? I know there is a version in 320 kbps mp3. DM any info///???

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    Does a lossless instrumental Year Zero exist? I know there is a version in 320 kbps mp3. DM any info///???
    Year Zero instrumental was only released in 192 Kbps MP3 on remix.nin.com. If you have a 320 Kbps version, it is a transcode.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Year Zero instrumental was only released in 192 Kbps MP3 on remix.nin.com. If you have a 320 Kbps version, it is a transcode.
    But what if I use raw multitracks to make it myself? Hypothetically

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I think that's perfectly fine, since they came with the release in the first place... [he says not at all having done that in the past, coughing slightly like some sort of telltale sign of lying]

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I think that's perfectly fine, since they came with the release in the first place... [he says not at all having done that in the past, coughing slightly like some sort of telltale sign of lying]
    I meant would that count as lossless? Or is there no such thing as converting from lossless to lossless?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The main reason I ask is that the instrumental mix levels of hyperpower seem different than the album version and I want a cleaner listen. Sorry to be a bother thanks for the info about the transcode.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    I meant would that count as lossless? Or is there no such thing as converting from lossless to lossless?
    Yeah, I forgot about the full multitracks being released. Yes, you could make the instrumentals from that, and yes, it would be lossless. There might be slight differences in the mix from the official instrumental release or the album release.

Someone has already used the multitracks to do that. You can download it at nindestruct: https://nindestruct.com/music.html

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    As someone who exports from GarageBand a lot, you can export as AIFF (at a little over 2000kbps) and then transcode to ALAC (from 1000-1700kbps) lossless to make streaming easier... I've found that AIFFs really don't like to be streamed.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I know this should technically go in the HTDA sub-forum, but I know it will get more eyes here. Does anyone know what font was used for the first HTDA EP?

EDIT - The answer is Pacifica Condensed, which has not been mentioned before now that I've searched the forum for it.
    Last edited by trollmanen; 04-17-2024 at 12:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)