Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    Does anyone have any tips for how to optimize performance in GarageBand? I didn't realize that a project could be too "complex" and stop playing altogether, but that's what's happening with some of my recent projects. I have just downloaded a ton of music though, so that might be what's affecting it. I have a MacBook Pro, by the way. Should I buy an external hard drive and move all my music/movies to that? I'd like to figure out the pros/cons before I drop the cash on an external hard drive though - if it's not going to help then I don't want to waste money.
    Locking individual tracks in Garageband helps a lot. Also, try closing every other application before loading Garageband, including web browsers, iTunes, etc. I use a dated duel-core Macbook so I'm used to errors in Garageband and Logic (wish I had gotten a quad-core when I had the chance; constantly crashing applications are no fun)
    Last edited by Presideo; 01-03-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I recommend to anybody that is even remotely serious about video or photos or audio. buy the pro apps.

Why apple pushes their flagship iLife software without updating it to 64 bit is beyond me. essentially you can buy the most awesome computer they have and the software that they ship with it, doesn't even utilize a fraction of a % of the machines power. Instead it just crashes constantly. Its beyond me why.

Especially when they build these apps to constantly be indexing your library. Its the most bassakwards shit software known to man. And it could all be fixed if they simply enabled 64 bit support. Its not like they haven't already written the support for it.

Garageband is the same kernal as Logic which is 64 bit.
    Final Cut X is 64 Bit and thats based on iMovie
    Aperture is 64 Bit and thats basically the exact same kernal as iPhoto.

So the only thing that makes sense is they are simply not putting that support in because they want people to pay for the Pro Apps.

Which is stupid because most people aren't going to do that. Instead everyones just gonna sit around and bitch about how much iLife apps suck. And rightfully so.

Just spend the money. Or find a torrent. Apples piracy control is practically nonexistent.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    Locking individual tracks in Garageband helps a lot. Also, try closing every other application before loading Garageband, including web browsers, iTunes, etc. I use a dated duel-core Macbook so I'm used to errors in Garageband and Logic (wish I had gotten a quad-core when I had the chance; constantly crashing applications are no fun)
    True, back when I had to use GarageBand for a college class, I tried some of those fixes and they did help, although they were mostly a pain in the ass.
    http://www.thegaragedoor.com/setup/improving.html

Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    Just spend the money. Or find a torrent. Apples piracy control is practically nonexistent.
    I've been messing with some of the other photo Apps to see if I like something better. I am not interested in pro level anything, but I cannot STAND iPhoto and I'm sick of paying for upgrades hoping they'll finally take away fucking EVENTS and other useless shit designed for braindead socker moms. Can you even GET full iLife, anymore? The only way I've bought any portion is via individual Apps for a few years.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-03-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Aperture is solid @allegro

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Apple Thread

Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    Aperture is solid @allegro
    Okay, I took your advice and bought Aperture. Gonna have to study this and see how I can organize these billions of photos in my library in some way.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Okay, guys, any ideas?

iTunes on my iMac is apparently haunted. It's been doing this for the last few iTunes updates so it ain't the update. But, I thought there may be some link to Firefox. iTunes just starts playing out of nowhere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Is this happening when you aren't even using the computer? If you are using it and this is happening, are you maybe accidentally pressing the "Play/Pause" button right above the letters? Otherwise, I have no clue!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It happens when I'm nowhere near the computer.

edit: it could be related to the audio jack and my Bose external speakers. https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0
    Last edited by allegro; 01-18-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    if you have an apple tv and use the remote anywhere near the computer, it will activate itunes on the computer. just throwin that out there. you can disable this if you need.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yea, I do have an Apple TV but when this happens I'm nowhere near it. I rarely use Apple TV. But I did see that as a possibility when I was doing research. Thanks, though.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Not sure i should have upgraded to mountain lion last night... We'll see how it goes.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    whenever you upgrade you need to backup your home folder and reinstall everything fresh. you're gonna have problems if you go the upgrade path. if you do a fresh install you're all good.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I've always just repaired the disk permissions after an OS upgrade and that worked. Or are you talking Mountain Lion specific?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'm saying in general. for basic computer usage its not much of an issue. but for production machines and what not, upgrades are never wise.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I've always just repaired the disk permissions after an OS upgrade and that worked. Or are you talking Mountain Lion specific?
    I was just kinda pouting about the new safari update, more than anything. Though coming off of windows i am rather used to doing fresh installs. I try that repair disk permissions. I don't have much by way of outside programs/apps on it so it's not a big deal. Although I do have to say that I am rather liking the new ITunes, finally. I will add again that I am still very much liking my MBP.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    safari has sucked for me since the latest update. its crashing my entire machine. i've since been using chrome.

which is a shame because i prefer safari.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Apple Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    I'm saying in general. for basic computer usage its not much of an issue. but for production machines and what not, upgrades are never wise.
    I'm an old UNIX geek so disk perms is my GoTo. I still use vi as an editor. Because I can muahhhhhhhahahaha.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-24-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Apple Thread

Wow that last word was actually the autocorrect version on my iPhone. Scary.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Ok iPhone users, Evasi0n is here!!!
    @johnbron and I have been geeking out about this all day today

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The Apple Thread

Ya I did mine last night.

I'm finding less and less need to jailbreak my phone nowadays tho. Maybe just for a few tweaks here and there. But that's it.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

The Apple Thread

I'm so happy to finally have Shrink and biteSMS back. Now @johnbron and I are waiting for a good tethering app to be released for the iPhone 5

Oh and the infected mushroom sound pack! I missed those...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    ah yea. i ended up having to just give up my unlimited data so I could have tethering legally. I'm on the road so much for business and i needed tethering. so now i just pay for 20 gigs of data a month. its ridiculous. but what are ya gonna do about it.

I had the tethering app on my 4s but att kept threatening me and then dropping my data speeds to 28K. sucked. no choice. so that was really my last MAJOR reason for needing to jailbreak.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I sure do wish APTBackup had fucking worked.

edit: I wish I hadn't fucking updated.

double edit: I'm really glad I was able to upgrade my phone back to 5.1.1
    Last edited by heroicraptor; 02-05-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I Jailbreak mainly for emulators and Folder Enhancer. Not being able to put whatever amount of apps in a single folder is ridiculous.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    MyWi6 allows you to tether your iPhone 5 via Wifi and hard line!! @johnbron

(thats a test password so dont get on my case about it showing up )

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    MyWi6 allows you to tether your iPhone 5 via Wifi and hard line!! @johnbron

(thats a test password so dont get on my case about it showing up )
    Yep! After your most recent texts, I paid my $19.99 and all is working well. AND FAST! Goddamn I love LTE.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    So I bought an iPhone 5 last week and the person at the AT&T store said I should let the battery completely run out once every two weeks or so. Is there some problem with the battery that I should be doing that or just ignore what they said?

I'm loving the thing so far, taking forever to transfer all of my music into iTunes but it's going to be so worth it to have all my music on me at all times.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks! The person at the store made it sound like people were coming in with broken phones because they didn't let their batteries die.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    For the past few days when I open up my text messaging on my iPhone 5 the Apple ID password prompt pops up, happens sometimes with Apps too. I just hit cancel and it goes away and everything works. Anyone know what the deal is with that?