Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    i love how i can have game scores updated right on my notification bar on the right.. i really hope they take this notification thing further, screw widgets on a separate page, everything should be notification based.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    i love how i can have game scores updated right on my notification bar on the right.. i really hope they take this notification thing further, screw widgets on a separate page, everything should be notification based.
    On the mobile-front, Game Center has been almost worthless since 8.0. Game scores are not being kept at all, nor am I receiving Challenges. I also apparently have no friends?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Has Game Center ever really held any worth?

Maybe that's a little too mean, but that's how I've always felt.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aywok View Post
    On the mobile-front, Game Center has been almost worthless since 8.0. Game scores are not being kept at all, nor am I receiving Challenges. I also apparently have no friends?
    i didn't mean game center. i meant game score updates from NFL, NHL, etc by Yahoo Sports.

I don't know anyone that uses Apples Game Center

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Oh, and Kindle stopped working. Thanks, Amazon. Yosemite waited until the final release to tell me that it was incompatible, though. Until then, I was just trying to see what I could do on my end to fix it, which was nothing.
    I didn't get any warnings when I installed it (the final release, I didn't test the betas) — the Kindle app just stopped working.

So I downloaded the App Store version, and that worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    - The entire new dock, folder and HDD/USB icons look cartoonish and awkward.
    Yes. Are we in 2005 again?
    … And people moaned in 2006 because the folder icons were too subdued. It's never been one of my biggest concerns — though it's true that I wasn't especially fond of the pre-Leopard folders, so everything since then has been an improvement for me.

I'm just happy that we finally got the translucent menus back. I was very sad to lose them in Leopard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    You have to be upgraded to at least Snow Leopard to have the App Store, and that's the only way you'll get Yosemite after that. Do you know the exact model of your iMac? (Apple Menu > About This Mac)
    And how do I upgrade to Snow Leopard? When I click on the Finder -> Search for Updates it doesn't show any updates.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    And how do I upgrade to Snow Leopard? When I click on the Finder -> Search for Updates it doesn't show any updates.
    You have to buy Snow Leopard

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...6-snow-leopard

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Yeah. Sorry, should've mentioned that.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Got an iPad Air (1) for my boss. Now that I've actually held one in my hands, I'm more conflicted than ever. Unlike my iPad 1, it's no unwieldy than a Mini.

So what I get next will probably hinge on what they do next year (assuming I don't get too impatient to wait that long). If the Mini is still trailing behind the Air in CPU and/or RAM, I may just go back to the big screen after all.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    This Trent interview is really interesting now.

http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/arch.../movie-maestro

I dedicated the last three years of my life to helping him develop that platform, got the attention of Apple, and now we're finding a way to make that happen. There's a chance to maybe start to implement some of those ideas in a way that will be meaningful. And I think that's a fight worth fighting.
    So far from derailing whatever plans he had, getting bought by Apple might make them happen sooner.

Funny how the Apple Thread is now officially TR related.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    If the Mini is still trailing behind the Air in CPU and/or RAM, I may just go back to the big screen after all.
    Keeping the Mini 2 around just highlights what a bad deal the Mini 3 is.

Speculation I've seen is that between the iPhone 6/6s & Air 2 there's not enough A8 class chips to put it in the Mini.

With the original Air hanging around this year underneath the Air 2 I'm tempted to wait until next year & see if the Air 2 slides down to that spot underneath the "Air 3" or whatever they call the next model.

(currently the iPhone 6 & Apple TV are my only Apple products, my "tablet" is an original Nook Color that's in a drawer somewhere)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tim Cook comes out as gay http://www.businessweek.com/articles...roud-to-be-gay

I always figured he might come out eventually. Crazy how quiet or just nonchalant this has been. It shows progress doesn't it? 10 years ago this would've been a bombshell lol
    Last edited by Rabbit; 10-30-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This would have been a non-issue 30 years ago. Look at Apple's old logo:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    Keeping the Mini 2 around just highlights what a bad deal the Mini 3 is.

Speculation I've seen is that between the iPhone 6/6s & Air 2 there's not enough A8 class chips to put it in the Mini.
    Hmm, hadn't thought of that.

With the original Air hanging around this year underneath the Air 2 I'm tempted to wait until next year & see if the Air 2 slides down to that spot underneath the "Air 3" or whatever they call the next model.
    That seems like a safe bet. Every year since 2012 they've kept at least one previous model on board as the "budget" option. And if you go refurbed you have even more options — it looks like the only thing you can't get anymore is an iPad 1.

In fact, the Air I picked out for my boss was a refurb. An iPad that would have cost $600 a year ago — Wi-Fi 32GB, because friends don't let friends buy 16GB iPads — was just $390.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tim Cook comes out as gay http://www.businessweek.com/articles...roud-to-be-gay

I always figured he might come out eventually. Crazy how quiet or just nonchalant this has been. It shows progress doesn't it? 10 years ago this would've been a bombshell lol
    It would have been nice if he did this before he became CEO, but yes... it's still good. But let's not forget what happened 3 years ago when he took the CEO spot. His sexuality was pretty heavily covered.

and you have this:
    "One tech executive who has spoken to multiple Apple management veterans about Cook was told executives there would support Cook if he publicly acknowledged his orientation, and even would encourage him to do so as he steps up his leadership role, but that they also had concerns about whether his coming out would impact the perception of the Apple brand."

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Court Rules Police Can Force Users to Unlock iPhones With Fingerprints, But Not Passcodes
    http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/31/...fth-amendment/

Ugh.
    I'm curious what the tech options are in this situation. Initially, I thought a duress option might make sense. Register a thumb that specifically disables TouchID or maybe even erases the phone. But that would probably be considered obstruction or destruction of evidence. Maybe some sort of dead man's switch? Apple already has a non-customizable one to some extent, a 48hr inactivity timeout that disables TouchID. @allegro - any thoughts?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I got nothin'.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Court Rules Police Can Force Users to Unlock iPhones With Fingerprints, But Not Passcodes
    http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/31/...fth-amendment/

Ugh.

I'm curious what the tech options are in this situation. Initially, I thought a duress option might make sense. Register a thumb that specifically disables TouchID or maybe even erases the phone. But that would probably be considered obstruction or destruction of evidence.
    Yeah, that does take some of the shine off Touch ID for me. At least until the Supreme Court decides that passcodes aren't protected either.

I dunno if a "duress" fingerprint would pass legal muster, but it's the logical next step. We already have something sorta like it — my iPad is set to wipe itself after 10 failed passcode attempts, and I think I could arrange to screw up ten times in a row under pressure. I hope.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Yeah, that does take some of the shine off Touch ID for me. At least until the Supreme Court decides that passcodes aren't protected either.

I dunno if a "duress" fingerprint would pass legal muster, but it's the logical next step. We already have something sorta like it — my iPad is set to wipe itself after 10 failed passcode attempts, and I think I could arrange to screw up ten times in a row under pressure. I hope.
    I'm guessing you wouldn't have anywhere near as much control as you would want in that situation. They would probably control exactly how you try to enter your prints to prevent everyone from trying just that.

I think I have the most ideal setup: Combine the TouchID with a series of taps made up of short and long presses. ex: short-short-long. This gives you two factors, the finger print and a really shitty "pin" equivalent but without the added inconvenience of doing TouchID + Numeric PIN.

Apple already has this kind of detection built into the new iPhone 6's for the "reachability" feature.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I think I have the most ideal setup: Combine the TouchID with a series of taps made up of short and long presses. ex: short-short-long. This gives you two factors, the finger print and a really shitty "pin" equivalent but without the added inconvenience of doing TouchID + Numeric PIN.
    That would make it tougher for someone to break it down into two more easily controlled steps. But you'd be more likely to screw it up under normal conditions just because you woke up fuzzy in the head. I still have trouble entering my iCloud password right on the first try, and damned if I can tell how I'm screwing it up. That's what makes me wanna have Touch ID on everything.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    After 3 unsuccessful Touch ID attempts, you are prompted to enter your passcode instead. You are still allowed to use Touch ID, however, for 2 more attempts. After 5 unsuccessful Touch ID attempts, Touch ID disables itself until the passcode is entered. I suppose you could do something like set up the device with 4 unsuccessful attempts, then "accidentally" fail on your "first" try, disabling Touch ID.

Any "logical" option that I can think of involves jailbreaking and is not (currently) supported within iOS 8. Asphaleia allows you to have a separate passcode for everything and use that instead of Touch ID. This would still involve some maneuvering, as you have to touch the device again to have it switch to passcode entry. Basically, you can Touch ID/passcode every aspect or even specific aspects of your device, not just apps, and switch between whether you want to use Touch ID or the passcode.

As far as I know, no one has ever developed a Touch ID kill switch mod, and I agree, that is the logical next step.
    Last edited by Aywok; 11-03-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Spelling of "Asphaleia"

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    New up date out to improve IOS performance. Lets see how this goes

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    New up date out to improve IOS performance. Lets see how this goes
    I've been hearing conflicting opinions about the update. If it were easy to revert to 7 I'd be game, but I don't like not having an escape route.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I've been hearing conflicting opinions about the update. If it were easy to revert to 7 I'd be game, but I don't like not having an escape route.
    it hasn't improved my phone at all. it's probably time for a new phone.

ipad mini still hasn't been running smooth. i may have to do a complete hard wipe and reinstall.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Heh. Sir Jony Ive just dissed my car.

“There are some shocking cars on the road,” Ive said. “One person’s car is another person’s scenery.” To his right was a silver sedan with a jutting lower lip. Ive said, quietly, “For example.” As the disgraced car fell behind, I asked Ive to critique its design: “It is baffling, isn’t it? It’s just nothing, isn’t it? It’s just insipid.” He declined to name the model, muttering, “I don’t know, I don’t want to offend.” (Toyota Echo.)
    From the huge New Yorker article (I'm still only partway through it).

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Is anyone running 8.1.2 and jailbroke your device with PP? I just did this to my phone and after a reboot, the phone gets stuck on the Apple logo and doesn't do anything from there. I've been trying to figure out how to fix this and it seems like I have to do a restore, but the only problem with that is that Apple is no longer signing the 8.1.2 IPSWs. If anyone knows how I can fix this issue without having to do a restore, please let me know!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sounds like your only way would be a dfu restore, does iTunes recognise your phone when connected? 8.2 is supposedly being released today so if you can't get 8.1.2 then just wait and try for that

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Anybody on the Star Wars Card Trader app for iOS?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Has anyone had their headphone jack break off in their iPhone? This just happened to me, and I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this and what did you do?

Edit: it just fell out randomly, sweet!
    Last edited by bruised; 03-21-2015 at 09:21 PM.