Page 81 of 101 FirstFirst ... 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 3008

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is very very very good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The title track makes so much sense as the closer. Absolutely over the moon about this release.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    For those who have heard this thing, which tracks are the heaviest and which ones are the weirdest/spaciest/most experimental..?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I can't take fan reviews seriously, especially the week of release day. Everything is "THE GREATEST ALBUM EVER" and then in a month it dies down. Everyone is so hype I am sure all the reviews are gonna be "this is better than White Pony and SNW and Around The Fur" "This is the heaviest shit they ever done!!!"......2 more days and when I get the nice shiny plastic CD in my hand, I will sit with it and give my feedback. I am expecting DE+KNY with a little bit of S/T thrown in.....

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Have to admit, it's kind of hilarious to see some of these fan reviews on reddit and elsewhere bemoaning this new album for sounding "too Deftones" and too familiar..

We got the weird, artsy no-wave album that completely stands apart in their discography last time and people couldn't get their heads around it. The production wasn't to their taste, the songs weren't heavy enough, the songs were too weird..I honestly believe that if Steph hadn't have made those comments prior to Gore that he was disengaged for most of it, people would see it in a much grander fashion. It dumbs down the open-mindedness of the band's fanbase when 25 years in, the majority of fans just seem to want More Adrenaline or Diamond Eyes II, skip the eccentricities please..

You didn't seem to have that with the NIN EP trilogy three years ago; fans were mostly onboard for all the newness that material brought. Even the much-maligned Hesitation Marks has its share of fans..
    I had to stop going to the reddit because so many of their reviews are about having erections and I just don't want to associate this album with boners but it's probably too late now lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    For those who have heard this thing, which tracks are the heaviest and which ones are the weirdest/spaciest/most experimental..?
    I certainly need a bit more time to really get to know most of these songs, but I don't think many of them break down cleanly into heavy/experimental/soft or whatever. It's a very dynamic album, one that's marked with a sense of danger, because it's hard to predict what sort of weirdness/heaviness is coming around the corner. There's nothing as unrelentingly heavy and aggressive as Elite or When Girls Telephone Boys, but I'd say multiple songs have moments that match that sort of intensity.

I would say that Genesis and Ohms are the two most straightforward tracks. To me, Genesis fits the standard for an album like Koi No Yokan (reminds me of Tempest and Leathers), and Ohms is a progged-up Gore track with better production. Ceremony feels very... smoothed out compared the rest of the album. It's got that standard sort of soaring Deftones chorus, but the verses remind me of a quieter Jesus Lizard track, in a weird way. Then, the middle of the album really goes wild. Urantia starts with a heavy, posthardcore kind of riff that almost sounds like something off of adrenaline, and then totally chills out, and is eventually marked by a crazy breakdown that comes way out of left field. Texturally, Error reminds me of Around the Fur, but the melodies/chorus more like contemporary Deftones. Then, I'd say that Spell of Mathematics is the most overtly experimental of the bunch; it reminds me A LOT of Palms, but it's more engaging than most of the Palms material. Pompeji is experimental, too, but in a different way- it seems to push the contrasting heaviness/softness that the Deftones are known for to the most logical extreme, and the result is utterly brilliant, both *very* deftones but unlike any other deftones track. Like, it's as delicate as Teenager during the verses, but as heavy and unrelentingly dark as anything on S/T during the choruses. It's unreal. Then, it kind of gets a bit more straightforward Deftones again for a while with This Link is Dead (pretty damn heavy) and Radiant City (pretty damn groovy), but even those songs have little twists to them. Headless is the lone "chill" moment here, but rhythmically, it's still a very discomforting, off the wall track.

Really, this sounds a lot like Deftones taking bits and pieces of everything they've ever been or done, and turning it into a monster. It coheres really brilliantly, because the push and pull of the energy remains so strong throughout. It sounds like everything they've ever done, but also like nothing they've ever done; more than the sum of its parts. It's a great release.
    Last edited by ZeroSum; 09-23-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I can't take fan reviews seriously, especially the week of release day. Everything is "THE GREATEST ALBUM EVER" and then in a month it dies down. Everyone is so hype I am sure all the reviews are gonna be "this is better than White Pony and SNW and Around The Fur" "This is the heaviest shit they ever done!!!"......2 more days and when I get the nice shiny plastic CD in my hand, I will sit with it and give my feedback. I am expecting DE+KNY with a little bit of S/T thrown in.....
    I wouldn't compare to s/t outside of the different direction. I'm actually not as hot on this as I've been on new albums in the past. KNY and Gore I was both extremely stoked on, best album ever etc.

This one I can appreciate for being more upbeat and feeling very very different, but I'm not sure how much I actually like it except for a few songs.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Not having a clear rip really lessens the experience here. There are a lot of little things going on in the background at times you simply cannot hear clearly, even with head phones.

Imo, the album starts off semi safe until you get to Pompeji and it really opens up after that with tracks bleeding into each other. I love when you read interviews and the members explain what they did in certain songs like Chino explaining the seagull and ocean water sounds he recorded for Pompeji; I love the way that translates when it finally pops up in a song.

Album is a grower, but it deserves all the praise it is getting.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Is "This Link Is Dead" really as heavy as some reviews have stated? A few reviews said Chino has not screamed on a song this much since the days of "Hexagram" and "When Girls Telephone Boys".....I will believe it when I hear it but it has me stoked if this is true

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    No not at all. It's no where near the heaviest on that album. As someone who puts Wgtb high on my list of favorite Deftones songs it's baffling anyone put it in the same breath

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    320 rips are showing up, if your Soul knows where to Seek.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I don't care if this is the "Best album ever", not even were it ranks on the Deftones discography, i fuckin' loved this album!

Oh man and "Error" and "Pompeji" are f'n beautiful!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    This Link Is Dead is nowhere near their heaviest. It is aggressive and Chino’s vocals are more like angry talking for most of the track.

Selective memory with Chino screaming. The track "Gore" exists... Ffs on that take.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-23-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Sounds like an upscale?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by profane View Post
    Sounds like an upscale?
    Yes.

And thanks for liking one of my posts in here from 2012 lol. If anyone has some extra time, it is actually quite amusing to see what everyone was talking about with this band and Team Sleep around that time... And... Chi

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Chino's screams are about par for the course with Gore, yeah. But where this album shines is atmosphere.

Album fucking rips even in shitty 192kbps format, that's how rich the tones are

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Yes.

And thanks for liking one of my posts in here from 2012 lol. If anyone has some extra time, it is actually quite amusing to see what everyone was talking about with this band and Team Sleep around that time... And... Chi
    Aha, yeah I was messing up my reply, deleted it and landed back on the first page without noticing it. Was a bit confused. ��

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    320 on Soulseek is FAKE. I downloaded 2 of the so called 320s and both are fake. Just checked and it's the 192 wma saved as a 320kbps file. It's a bullshit upconvert. Sorry folks. Looking at this fake 320, it's actually worse than the 192 wma as it hard cuts off frequencies at 16khz whereas the 192 wma cuts around 18/19khz. A true 320kbps file would cut at 22khz.

When you see a 16/44 WAV, that's a 16 bit file aka 1411kbps and 44khz. A 320 MP3 is 320kbps and 44khz. The spectrum cuts off around 22khz cuz music is stereo. 22+22=44khz. A true 320kbps would hard cut around 22khz, where it will look like a flat shelf. The 320s so far on Soulseek are hard cutting much lower below that at 16khz.
    Last edited by neorev; 09-23-2020 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    320 on Soulseek is FAKE. I downloaded 2 of the so called 320s and both are fake. Just checked and it's the 192 wma saved as a 320kbps file. It's a bullshit upconvert. Sorry folks. Looking at this fake 320, it's actually worse than the 192 wma as it hard cuts off frequencies at 16khz whereas the 192 wma cuts around 18/19khz. A true 320kbps file would cut at 22khz.

When you see a 16/44 WAV, that's a 16 bit file aka 1411kbps and 44khz. A 320 MP3 is 320kbps and 44khz. The spectrum cuts off around 22khz cuz music is stereo. 22+22=44khz. A true 320kbps would hard cut around 22khz, where it will look like a flat shelf. The 320s so far on Soulseek are hard cutting much lower below that at 16khz.
    Good to know, i saw it in passing and hadn't had a chance to download it myself. My bad.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Since the digital download from the official store is lossy (side rant: I can't stand how not everyone offers a choice of format, but I shouldn't complain because they could just as easily not offer any digital download with a physical order), I also preordered the album through Qobuz to receive 24/96 files. Unless my vinyl reaches me that day, the Qobuz release will be how I listen to the album first.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The Spell Of Mathematics is so fucking good.

Quote Originally Posted by profane
    Aha, yeah I was messing up my reply, deleted it and landed back on the first page without noticing it. Was a bit confused.
    Happy accidents .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Urantia is a jam

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Good to know, i saw it in passing and hadn't had a chance to download it myself. My bad.
    No worries, just wanted to give ya and folks the heads up
    Haven't listened to the 192 wma or either even though it's on my computer
    Patiently waiting for lossless

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I just listened to Gore for the first time all the way through. The album is awesome. Did people complain about it because it wasn't crushing enough?
    They do things on that album melodically that no other Deftones album has done. It might not be riff heavy but these songs feature all sorts of filthy raw riddims and textures.
    I'm listening to it on a bluetooth speaker and don't really notice that its brickwalled too bad.... Definitely not as bad as Californication which set the bar for a sonically unlistenable record.
    I find that as I get older I feel happy to just hear new stuff that artists I loved throughout the years are putting out. As long as it isn't blatant that they're phoning it in. Like that new Nas for example....

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I just listened to Gore for the first time all the way through. The album is awesome. Did people complain about it because it wasn't crushing enough?
    They do things on that album melodically that no other Deftones album has done. It might not be riff heavy but these songs feature all sorts of filthy raw riddims and textures.
    I'm listening to it on a bluetooth speaker and don't really notice that its brickwalled too bad.... Definitely not as bad as Californication which set the bar for a sonically unlistenable record.
    I find that as I get older I feel happy to just hear new stuff that artists I loved throughout the years are putting out. As long as it isn't blatant that they're phoning it in. Like that new Nas for example....
    Welcome to the Gore appreciation group. I haven't checked the waves on Gore to see how it looks.

Edit: Yea, it is a tad brickwalled in the heavier tracks and louder sections. But still the studio remasters look worse compared to Gore. Even the real brickwalled moments of Gore still have some ridges/peaks/troughs.
    Last edited by neorev; 09-23-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Gore was the band's Isn't Anything, the way SNW was the band's Disintegration..

The way people are describing Ohms, it sounds like it's their You'd Prefer An Astronaut, which I'm all kinds of right with..

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Gore was the band's Isn't Anything, the way SNW was the band's Disintegration..
    How?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    A hardcore fan just compared the new album with Gore. Said it has some Gore in there. That makes me excited.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    A hardcore fan just compared the new album with Gore. Said it has some Gore in there. That makes me excited.
    It has bits of everything, but I can agree with this the more I listen to it. 4 times now lol...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Gore and SNW I'd say. Cherry Waves, Mein, Xerxes, Riviere... Kimdracula... Rats... So hard to point else where in the discography to find like songs.
    Urantia is a lot like Cherry Waves though. Headless has elements of Tropics by Palms. There's some LMRL in Ceremony. Error has a bit of Pittura/Geometric, and heavy Xenon vibes throughout as far as abes drumming goes. Maybe some rubico