Page 64 of 101 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 3008

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Except I love Gore, especially for the fact it doesn't sound like the rest of Deftones albums production-wise.

As for their albums, be sure to listen to their original masters, not the terrible remasters they put out digitally. Sadly, I believe they swapped out their original masters for those god awful remasters on streaming services. They're brickwalled to shit and quite grating on the ears.

I mean, it's really bad...

ELITE (Original Master on top, Remaster on bottom)

MINERVA (Original Master on top, Remaster on bottom)
    There's some good songs on Gore. I'd just prefer to not have to listen to them while swimming through a swamp.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Zane Lowe: What was the inspiration behind working with Terry Date again, after 17 years?

Chino: I think we, as a band, just got tired of hearing about people on the internet who have bitched incessantly about the production and the mixing of the last four albums, and figured bringing in Terry would give them what they want so they shut the fuck up and just enjoy the music, which always sounds perfectly fine to us..

Seriously though, it makes perfect sense to sit on this until they can support it. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars would they leave on the table by just dropping a new album with no promotion, tour, support, etc.

That being said, now would be the perfect time to, uh, y'know, release that other album they've been sitting on for the past 12 years, that makes no sense to support..
    Eros wasn't even remotely finished though.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Same. He's exaggerating his point to make people side w/him. Gore sounds like shit...muddy and with not enough punch. It was their choice to do that, and no one liked it. Considering tons of your fans have good taste & know what they're talking about, take your lumps & move on. Don't make it like the overwhelming consensus about the production of Gore was wrong.

Initially, I think I remember some complaints about Koi No Yokan re: loudness wars, but thats everywhere.
    Gore sounds perfectly fine to me. It was made by professional musicians who knew what they wanted, and used a professional engineer who has mixed and mastered tons of albums by reputable bands and musicians over the last 30 years. I trust they knew what they were doing, and achieved the result they wanted..

As for all of the people who complain about it, here and elsewhere, I've yet to see one resume that annotates all of the albums they've produced that show up Gore's production and mixing values. I would love to hear some of these albums and discern for myself what they think great production is, as done by them..

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Gore sounds perfectly fine to me. It was made by professional musicians who knew what they wanted, and used a professional engineer who has mixed and mastered tons of albums by reputable bands and musicians over the last 30 years. I trust they knew what they were doing, and achieved the result they wanted..

As for all of the people who complain about it, here and elsewhere, I've yet to see one resume that annotates all of the albums they've produced that show up Gore's production and mixing values. I would love to hear some of these albums and discern for myself what they think great production is, as done by them..
    Can we not drag this discussion in here, please?

Deftones are one of those rare bands who have a flawless discography, for all intents and purposes.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by profane View Post
    Eros wasn't even remotely finished though.
    It wasn't? I thought it was finished, but Chi went into his coma shortly after its completion, and then, after his death, they decided to shelve it, got Sergio on bass, and recorded Diamond Eyes as a tribute to Chi?

Speaking of Diamond Eyes, they're going to be doing a live stream of the album on YouTube at 6 PM PST for the 10th anniversary.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    It wasn't? I thought it was finished, but Chi went into his coma shortly after its completion, and then, after his death, they decided to shelve it, got Sergio on bass, and recorded Diamond Eyes as a tribute to Chi?

Speaking of Diamond Eyes, they're going to be doing a live stream of the album on YouTube at 6 PM PST for the 10th anniversary.
    Cheng was on his way home returning from his brother's memorial service on November 3, 2008 when he was involved in a serious car accident.[20] Moreno had just left the studio after recording vocal tracks for Eros, and was about halfway done with his vocal work on the album when the accident occurred.[4]

In July 2009, Deftones announced they had indefinitely shelved Eros in favor of work on a new album written with Vega.[21] At the time, only about six songs were completed for Eros.[22] Moreno estimated that Eros' instrumental portions were "probably 75-80% done" while the lyrics were about halfway completed, requiring about six more months of work to finish.[23][24]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eros_(Deftones_album)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    jesus. fucking. christ. what is your problem?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    jesus. fucking. christ. what is your problem?
    No problem at all. I'm just curious what makes certain people such experts on the matter, when I've seen nothing to support their theory that an album was poorly produced (it wasn't)..

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    No problem at all. I'm just curious what makes certain people such experts on the matter, when I've seen nothing to support their theory that an album was poorly produced (it wasn't)..
    i never said it was poorly produced, i said i didn't like the way it was mixed. i didn't say it wasn't done the way they wanted it, it's just not to my preference. it's a great album, i love the music! the live performances i've seen of the songs are amazing!

again, like in the MM thread, i never claimed i could do better. you are once again creating false equivalencies and putting words in my mouth so you have an excuse to insult me.

i don't have the money or the means to make a professionally recorded/produced/mixed album, so i work with what i have. that doesn't mean i'm not allowed to have an opinion about a professional band's work. if i literally said "i can do better" then you could spend all your time giving me shit and i'd deserve it. but as it is, you are just going out of your way to be unkind to me, and i don't understand. i really don't. what did i do to you? why do you seem to have this goal to make me feel like shit about my music?
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 05-05-2020 at 09:49 AM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i never said it was poorly produced, i said i didn't like the way it was mixed. i didn't say it wasn't done the way they wanted it, it's just not to my preference. it's a great album, i love the music! the live performances i've seen of the songs are amazing!

again, like in the MM thread, i never claimed i could do better. you are once again creating false equivalencies and putting words in my mouth so you have an excuse to insult me.

i don't have the money or the means to make a professionally recorded/produced/mixed album, so i work with what i have. that doesn't mean i'm not allowed to have an opinion about a professional band's work. if i literally said "i can do better" than you could spend all your time giving me shit and i'd deserve it. but as it is, you are just going out of your way to be unkind to me, and i don't understand. i really don't. what did i do to you? why do you seem to have this goal to make me feel like shit about my music?
    An excuse to insult you? Why? I ignore 99.9% of the stuff you post here because you come off as arrogant and presumptuous. I listened to your music once or twice, didn't care for it, and moved on. This has nothing to do with insulting you, because it's not about you. At all. I made my point in the Manson thread and moved on..

Hell, I wasn't even talking about you here, specifically. This was more towards Bobby Solo saying an album (Gore) sounded like ass and I was curious as to what albums he's produced so I could see where he was drawing his conclusions from, if he knows so much about it..

Notice how Neorev said the remasters were brickwalled to shit? I've heard his music. Hell, I own some of it. It's accomplished and well-produced, from someone who clearly knows what makes for good production. I trust his judgement on the matter, because he's proven he knows what he's talking about..

So yea, sorry, but this is entirely not about you at all. Nobody's looking to insult you or pick a fight with you, because nobody cares. At least, I don't..

Now, back to the music..

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Notice how Neorev said the remasters were brickwalled to shit? I've heard his music. Hell, I own some of it. It's accomplished and well-produced, from someone who clearly knows what makes for good production. I trust his judgement on the matter, because he's proven he knows what he's talking about..
    Yeah, having done a professional mix/master is absolutely not required to use your ears and make an informed opinion.

I've never released a professionally-recorded album. Am I not allowed to have opinions on any albums then?

I've never built an automobile so I can't opine on the staggering number of idiots who drive them poorly or the idiotic decisions car manufacturers make?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Now seems like a good time to say that I despise Chino's vocal performances in Saturday Night Wrist, Palms and Team Sleep.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Zane Lowe: What was the inspiration behind working with Terry Date again, after 17 years?

Chino: I think we, as a band, just got tired of hearing about people on the internet who have bitched incessantly about the production and the mixing of the last four albums, and figured bringing in Terry would give them what they want so they shut the fuck up and just enjoy the music, which always sounds perfectly fine to us..

Fuck - that's crazy. I wasn't the biggest fan of how Gore sounded but that was personally a reaction to how fucking incredible Diamond Eyes & Koi No Yokan sounded - in a perfect world I'd just have Nick Raskulinecz produce Deftones records the rest of time. I wasn't aware that a lot of people had qualms about the way those two albums sounded, but there we go.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post

I forgot where I heard from but somewhere around the time "Smile" came out it was mentioned that only about 7 tracks were complete or in some state of completion. I could be making that up. But I swear I read that from some official source like Chino or Abe.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Now seems like a good time to say that I despise Chino's vocal performances in Saturday Night Wrist, Palms and Team Sleep.
    On Team Sleep? But why?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It could be the way it's mixed and produced too. Ataraxia, Your Skull Is Red or especially Blvd Nights. I can't remember the rest. I get the potential, but I feel like it could have been so much more. I love Ever. And Iceage, Appolonia (with vocals) and Mercedes, but oh why did they leave them behind? So much disappointment in that album.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    To be honest, I never saw or heard any complaints about Diamond Eyes or Koi No Yokan. I thought they sounded perfectly fine. Perhaps slightly more polished compared to their previous albums, but never had issues with them. On the other hand, I did hear lots of complaints about Gore though, which is an album I personally have no problems with. I get what they were going for on that album and quite enjoyed it. The mix/master was more inspired by some of the older artists they love and were inspired by. I like it for not sounding like your usual Deftones records. For some, the production/mix is not their taste, especially if you're used to a way previous Deftones record sounds. Only Adrenaline and Gore stand out to me as oddballs amongst their discography when it comes to the production/mix/master. Personally, I can't really listen to Adrenaline. I don't dislike the songs themselves, but it just sounds way too thin to me. I'm always cranking the low and mids on the EQ to give it some oomph. Now that's an album I would like to see them go back to and completely remix from the ground up to give it a little more balls... as long as they don't brickwall the hell out of it. These remasters are my main issue. I'll take a dozen more Gore-produced albums over those horrible remasters. They're just so damn grating on the ears. Even in lossless, I can't enjoy the albums like I can with the original albums. They just become fatiguing to listen to. All the clarity and punch and oomph the original masters had are gone. I at least do not find Gore grating and fatiguing to listen to. I really do not know what they were thinking with those remasters.

Oh, and, yes, I also heard they only had several songs recorded for Eros with some not fully finished. They could just make it an EP.
    Last edited by neorev; 05-05-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Cheng was on his way home returning from his brother's memorial service on November 3, 2008 when he was involved in a serious car accident.[20] Moreno had just left the studio after recording vocal tracks for Eros, and was about halfway done with his vocal work on the album when the accident occurred.[4]

In July 2009, Deftones announced they had indefinitely shelved Eros in favor of work on a new album written with Vega.[21] At the time, only about six songs were completed for Eros.[22] Moreno estimated that Eros' instrumental portions were "probably 75-80% done" while the lyrics were about halfway completed, requiring about six more months of work to finish.[23][24]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eros_(Deftones_album)
    Well, that clears that up. Thanks!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Diamond eyes 10th Anniversary Listening Party tonight.

6pm PT, Deftones official YouTube channel.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So yea, sorry, but this is entirely not about you at all. Nobody's looking to insult you or pick a fight with you, because nobody cares. At least, I don't..
    So does this mean no second round of petulant PM's or facepalming? Asking for a friend.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    To me the best production on a Deftones album is on "Saturday Night Wrist", could it be because the dude that produced a little album called "The Wall" was involved?

Maybe not...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    It could be the way it's mixed and produced too. Ataraxia, Your Skull Is Red or especially Blvd Nights. I can't remember the rest. I get the potential, but I feel like it could have been so much more. I love Ever. And Iceage, Appolonia (with vocals) and Mercedes, but oh why did they leave them behind? So much disappointment in that album.
    Hahaa, We have complete opposite opinions on this. I found the raw mixing and producing coinsided with each other to give the atmosphere that album and most of their demos and unreleased tracks have. I do agree that there should have been some tracks that made the cut than others, but I find the album to flow so well.

I remember getting super exited when they randomly released Inside is Natural, and we got Woodstock sessions instead which gives off a very different vibe with them being reworked. Still cannot find a decent download or zip for that album.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I remember getting super exited when they randomly released Inside is Natural, and we got Woodstock sessions instead which gives off a very different vibe with them being reworked. Still cannot find a decent download or zip for that album.
    What is Inside Is Natural? I have not heard this. I like the Team Sleep stuff, but missed this one.

EDIT:

Found this...
    https://teamsleep.bandcamp.com/track...ural-beat-demo

But sadly not downloadable
    Last edited by neorev; 05-05-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Heh... It says "Releases June 6, 2037" on that page. Mark your calendars!
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 05-05-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    To me the best production on a Deftones album is on "Saturday Night Wrist", could it be because the dude that produced a little album called "The Wall" was involved?

Maybe not...
    It's not exactly accurate. At the beginning of the recording process for SNW Bob Ezrin worked with them and the demos from that can be found online but ultimately Shaun Lopez produced the album. SNW is a favorite of mine but I don't think the production is as nice as it is on KNY or Diamond Eyes, which I think sounds the nicest.

I love Gore but it sounds like mud. I don't know what happened

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    What is Inside Is Natural? I have not heard this. I like the Team Sleep stuff, but missed this one.

EDIT:

Found this...
    https://teamsleep.bandcamp.com/track...ural-beat-demo

It should be on YouTube. Just copy/paste the link and use a converter to mp3. I like the release date; I never noticed that .

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    It should be on YouTube. Just copy/paste the link and use a converter to mp3. I like the release date; I never noticed that .
    MP3 is a dirty word in my book

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    listen to them while swimming through a swamp
    This pretty much sums up the Deftones sound for me.
    Horrible DR range, compressed to death, and the ear-fatiguing noise. And I like it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    I wasn't aware that a lot of people had qualms about the way those two albums sounded, but there we go.
    They don't. Chino made it up.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    So that listening party was kind of a bummer. Just a full album stream with their videos from the album interlaced with footage of that white owl. Now, the owl's beautiful and all, but I was hoping they would be chatting about the process or how they felt about it now or something while playing it in the background.