Page 44 of 99 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 3008

Thread: Deftones

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ugh it sounds amazing. just preordered the double white vinyl and it'll be here on friday! amazon prime ftw. and thats a double purchase from me with the ticketmaster album bundle as well. gonna have digital, cd and vinyl for the 1st time in years.

p.s. for the love of god turn frank up! its so much better than in the past but still, he needs a solid boost imo. hes adding so much atmosphere that gets lost in the distortion.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Geometric Headdress is one of the best things they've done. I love it.

Not a big fan of "Gore" the song though...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Finally listened since a CD Rip is out now, and man, this album is probably genuinely the first time I've ever felt somewhat disappointed in a new Deftones album on the first listen in the seventeen years that I've listened to them.

It's not bad by any means, but some of the songs just sound too generic radio rock/metal at times. There are still quite a few really high notes on this album though. Acid Hologram, Hearts/Wires, (L)Mirl, and Rubicon are all really great tracks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is an odd one. I'm glad it doesn't familiar, and I hate that it doesn't sound familiar enough. Make sense? I wouldn't have become a Deftones fan with this album. I've only listen to it once, I'm curious how I'll feel about it on subsequent listen (of a better rip/cd). Prayers/Triangle and Hearts/Wired are my fav so far.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    i heard there's a lossless rip out there somewhere

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Finally got a proper rip. And so the journey begins ...

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I cant believe im going to say this, but after two listens im not digging. And not digging it and deftones have never gone together for me ever.

I dont know if its the shitty mix. To me it sounds like the record has no space to breathe. Its too loud. The annoying echo effect on chinos vocals give the whole thing as if i were listening to the album in a parking garage.

Most importantly, its doesnt feel like a deftones record to me. Now before i get shit for it being different, this band has tried different, and they still managed to feel like deftones.

There are some cool parts here and there, especially the riff that accompanies jerry cantrell's "solo".

I got to listen to it twice on the way back home from work, so will put it on while I study and maybe it will hit me. But right now I am not impressed.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    To me it sounds like the record has no space to breathe. Its too loud.
    It's, uh, crushed rather badly. Here is "Geometric Headdress", with a dynamic range of (4) (total album score = 5):

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    After one listen, I can say that I'm satisfied with this album. It's not in my Top 3 Deftones album but not bottom 3 either.

First 5 songs really gets you going and it seems like the album is flowing pretty nicely and all. But then you get Pittura Infamante, which is so freaking generic and boring. It's the definition of a filler. I'm having a hard time believing they didn't have any stronger materials than this. It definitely affects Xenon, which is good but not strong enough to pick up the mess left by the previous song.
    Things start getting a little bit better with (L)Mirl and Gore. It all ends on a really high note as far as I'm concerned; Phantom Bride and Rubicon being up there as great Deftones songs.

Overall, the best songs on Gore just don't quite rival the ones found on KNY, WP, ATF or DE.
    However, I'd say that it's ahead of SNW, S/T and Adrenaline.

Maybe after a few listens, it'll go up a spot and surpass DE but not after just one spin.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    First 5 songs really gets you going and it seems like the album is flowing pretty nicely and all. But then you get Pittura Infamante, which is so freaking generic and boring. It's the definition of a filler. I'm having a hard time believing they didn't have any stronger materials than this.
    Nailed it.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Im going to wait on listening it again till an official release comes on friday. I really really hope that it sounds better.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Not sure if anybody shared this interview with Upset Magazine, but it's pretty good and very complimentary.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Not sure if anybody shared this interview with Upset Magazine, but it's pretty good and very complimentary.
    Thought this is accurate

‘Gore’ isn’t about singles. ‘Gore’ isn’t about increasing ticket sales. ‘Gore’ is the sound of a band that still give a fuck, continuing to give a fuck.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    There's some goodness in this album and it warrants further listens. Lots of strange, off-kilter stuff happening on this, which I really like. There's also some very hypnotizing and slow motion riffs that really mess with your perception of time. Very cool.

Initial problems... There are a couple songs I don't like. The first one is good except for the singing of "you'll never be free".. it seems to be in a key that totally doesn't go with the song. That single part ruins the song for me. That really sucks, because the rest of the song is so good - especially the lyric about putting triangles in your head. Some powerful imagery happening. There's another song on here that I find a bit generic. It may be the one @Deepvoid mentioned.

I'll be listening to this album again. I've grown away from Deftones, but I can still appreciate this album. They've changed a lot and seem to have taken some big creative chances, while still retaining their signatures. I hope they continue to evolve in this direction.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I went back and listened to KNY, I think the production on that is MUCH better. You can actually hear Frank. Chino's vocals sound wrong on Gore, like it's left of center all of the time and too high pitched. I bet Terry Date did Doomed User, it seems to be produced quite a bit differently.

My list:
    ATF
    KNY
    White Pony
    Gore
    etc.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    What I find most interesting about Deftones, in relation to this community, is the vast variety of favorite album and song choices. I think it's indicative that Deftones have something for everyone. Unfortunately that comes with turmoil within the band but you can't really argue with the results.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This is definitely the most diverse set of opinions I've seen on the deftones here.

I think it's possibly their best album, but I'm hearing some who think it might be there worst and others who find it middling.

Some who think deftones are pushing into new areas, some who think this is what the deftones have always sounded like, and some who think it's bland. Really polarizing especially compared to the last 3, which seemed like near universal praise

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I feel like DE and KNY (my favorite Deftones album) were connected in a way, though it could just be due to production. Both of these albums seemed more focused than SNW and cleaner than S/T.

As much as I've enjoyed Gore so far, I'll reserve all judgments for hearing a top quality version of the album.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    HOLY SHIT!
    Qobuz.com just released EVERY Deftones album in 24 bit!!!!
    Individually, the albums look like they come in 24/96, but there's a cheaper studio album collection that is 24/44

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    @Jon @neorev From the looks of it, the 24/96 version of Gore is the same shit as the CD. God. DAMN. It. (same with the new Weezer 24-bit, coincidentally). I hope they don't fuck up the 24-bit versions of the older albums.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    @Jon @neorev From the looks of it, the 24/96 version of Gore is the same shit as the CD. God. DAMN. It. (same with the new Weezer 24-bit, coincidentally). I hope they don't fuck up the 24-bit versions of the older albums.
    It was the same recently for Underworld as well, with the vinyl being the only different "master". I've actually cut way back on my digital purchases and have started buying CD's again, since it's the same master and at least I get a physical product.

I like this album, I really do, but there is no space for the instruments, as I believe it was Conan already pointed out. The mixing/mastering has this sounding almost like a drone album, when I know there's more layers there. I recently relistened to Worship & Tribute by Glassjaw, and a production style like that would have really brought out the layers/atmospherics in this thing while still keeping it "raw" sounding.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    It was the same recently for Underworld as well, with the vinyl being the only different "master". I've actually cut way back on my digital purchases and have started buying CD's again, since it's the same master and at least I get a physical product.
    Ehhhhh, I dunno. Personally, I want the exact thing the mastering engineer ends up doing. Squashed sucks, yes, but I'll take squashed at the original bit depth and sample rate over downgrades. Don't get me wrong: the biggest benefit of HDTracks by far has been versions with the limiter turned down, absolutely. It's the principle of recording in hi res and releasing the actual master somewhere that matters until the loudness war actually slopes back into obscurity.

It's miraculous Deftones are even on the site at all.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Shame about Gore 24 bit
    I'm actually a little more psyched to get the older albums in 24/96 if I'm completely honest with myself... as long as they don't screw 'em up.
    White Pony and Self Titled are the first on my list to pick up.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just got my copy of Gore

5 tracks in and I think the only weak track is Prayers/Triangles

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm quite enjoying the new album as a whole off my first listen.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    So, I just listened to the record. I believe it's their most powerful musical moments. I've used words like "most mature effort ever lolz" for their previous records, so you have to imagine how surprised I was by their ability to keep trying new things and still sounding like themselves. And, yes, my complaint about Chino's vocal melodies has been addressed. No more na-naaahs and na-na-naaahs that were all over KNY, Palms and Crosses. Chino does 50 million different things with his voice now, and he blew me away. The first half didn't grab me, but, from Pittura Infamante onwards, it was just awesome song after awesome song. And I'm only at first listen.

However...

...I will echo everyone's comments that the record sounds like SHIT.

Like, what was the point of them going for a more melodic and new-wave approach and "Steph didn't wanna play on the record blah blah" when they crushed it more than a modern-day death metal record? The worst offender is by far (L)MIRL, where it's essentially noise rock. Which would be fine by me, if I wanted to listen to noise rock, as opposed to a goddamn Deftones record, where subtlety and heaviness usually collide. If this was the approach they were going for, they should have stated so in interviews. I wanted to grab the mastering engineer and shout in his ear "JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, TURN IT THE FUCK DOWN A FEW FUCKING NOTCHES". I'm glad I'm not alone in this (shut up, wizfan, you audiophile nerd), as I see more people complain about this issue. I'm afraid that this ultra-loud and noisy master is actually going to turn off many newcomers and alienate old fans (like me). The only times where I could discern Steph's guitar on the mix ere in the song Gore, and in the clean guitar parts. His riffs are barely discernible in the rest of the tracks. Same about the bass. Sometimes, even Chino's lyrics were buried in this nolsy mess. I was THIS close to start a Change.org petition or something to force them to release a better sounding version.

Suxh a shame. If this is what they were going after, I guess I'll have to get used to it. But, man... ouch. If the vinyl sounds like that as well, I'm giving up hope.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The thing that bothers me most is that Abe gets lost in the mix really easily. It took me forever to find the high hats to count the second verse in Geometric Headress for instance. I can barely hear him at all on Pittura it's a shame. As much as this might be my favorite the production is absolutely a tragedy

For some reason, Doomed User, which is my favorite anyway, does not seem to have this problem everything sounds clear to me and the audio is mostly crisp and I can distinguish all the elements.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    For some reason, Doomed User, which is my favorite anyway, does not seem to have this problem everything sounds clear to me and the audio is mostly crisp and I can distinguish all the elements.
    I was wondering if that was just my ears as no one had mentioned it yet. I did some further investigation and it's probably because there's absolutely zero clipping in that track and the waveform looks like a waveform.

EDIT: Getting ready to listen to this in 24/48 on the iPhone for the first time (Philips Fidelio M2L's + lightning wire connection).
    Last edited by Jon; 04-08-2016 at 01:18 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I was wondering if that was just my ears as no one had mentioned it yet. I did some further investigation and it's probably because there's absolutely zero clipping in that track and the waveform looks like a waveform.

EDIT: Getting ready to listen to this in 24/48 on the iPhone for the first time (Philips Fidelio M2L's + lightning wire connection).
    I still think Doomed User is one of the Terry Date tracks. The production is just so much better.