Page 28 of 101 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 ... LastLast

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Rx Queen might be my favorite from that album. Lots of great songs though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Knife Prty is my favorite White Pony song.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Teenager is probably my favorite Deftones song ever. Digital Bath + Knife Party are definitely way up there, too

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Since there's so much love for "Knife Party" ¡, i'll post this awesome version:

...we seriously need an "all-acoustic" Deftones album!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Knife Prty is my favorite White Pony song.
    the first time i heard it, i thought the vocalizations were done (not joking) by jeff buckley, not realizing he had been dead for several years. so then i pretended it was his ghost. because i'm a dork.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I got White Pony on my 15th birthday (2 months after the release). It's probably the most important album in my life. It defined everything I would listen to afterward. I was mesmerised, it was nothing I had ever heard before in my young life. So diversed, it still is my definition of a perfect album.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Deftones are one of my favorite bands ever, but I still think White Pony is a bit overrated

While I'm not saying it's a better album by any means, I've always seen Saturday Night Wrist as the underside of the pond White Pony floats on. It's like the same album, only inversed. SNW is way darker and that alone puts it over WP for me when considering the cohesiveness, the atmosphere and the general unease of the whole experience.

It's like their 'Disintegration', if that makes sense
    that's really interesting because i've always felt that the opposite is true. saturday night wrist, to me, is like the more uplifting version of white pony.
    saturday night wrist is like a cool, summer evening, where the possibilities are endless...white pony is what happens at 4am and everything has gone wrong.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I agree also that White Pony is a bit overrated. Not a bad album by any means! But to me Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are superior. I would say...Deftones is one of the very few albums I like whose latest output I like best, they are like a good wine! They just keep getting better!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I said earlier in the thread that "Saturday Night Wrist" is my favorite Deftones album, i love White Pony and that album will always be linked to my life but if we're talking favorites i'll always prefer SNW. Diamond Eyes is another one that has grown big time inside me, in another hand "Self titled" and the first album are my least favorites currently...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I too think that White Pony is overrated. I enjoy everything that came after it (except Diamond Eyes, which I can't get into) a lot more. It has great stuff, but sounds just too inconsistent and even thin in places. And I always thought of it as quite as perhaps their darkest album, but perhaps it's because of personal memories connected to it.

Some part of me hopes that when Deftones call it quits (assuming they won't record and tour till they're all 70), it's when they'll release Eros. If it's everything they said it was, I think it'd be a great way to end their career.

Also, Stephen Carpenter is very underrated as a guitar player, imo.

I've re-listened to all the Deftones stuff, the S/T and Koi No Yokan are my favourites for sure. SNW is a tad patchy (Mein and Pink Cellphone are two tracks I can't get into), Diamond Eyes has this upbeat-y feel to it that I can't stand (I realize why it sounds like it does, and I respect their decision to make a happier/less-dark album given Chi's accident, but it's just not my cup of tea; You've Seen the Butcher and Rocket Skates are awesome though), and I've said what I think of White Pony. As for the earlier stuff, I can't get into it at all.
    Last edited by Kunstmord; 06-24-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    They are quite the interesting band. I've never been a huge fan, but i ADORED "Around the Fur"

I love the one that says "IIIIIIIIIII feelsick IIIIIIIIIIIII feelsick!"
    And i could never get enough of the "DRIVE! idontcarewherejust FAR!"
    And also the first one on the album.
    Other than that, i only really know Change in the House of Flies.
    But they are fucking genius, combining the heaviness with the beautiful melodies.

A bunch of my friends were really into this band during my late teens and early twenties, and one couple got to be friends with them and handled all the promotions for their dallas shows.

So their music was playing a LOT at the parties i went to when i was young, and it brings back a LOT of memories.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Reading this thread inspired me to browse around and try to learn what exactly was so fucked uo about Saturday Night Wrist's process. Details are few and far between, but in the interviews i found it seems like the band STILL reflects on the album horribly.

Abe, who in my opinion is at the top of his game in SNW, said that just hearing it brings him back to that time. And so it seems like the band as a whole might have a negative association with the album to the point of potential avoidance. I wonder how much of that shitty energy carried to Eros...

My favorite is a toss up between SNW and Koi No Yokan, but it took a while for SNW to grow on me. It is still among the most technical and thematically unified Deftones albums. And it's so diverse, I find it hard to pick a favorite track... Rapture, for it's breakneck time changes, Combat, for it's big climactic riffery, Rats, for it's sudden changes in energy and aggression, Kimdracula?

One of my favorite albums ever.

And Im not just saying this as a hipster: i never really dug white pony. It is my least favorite deftones album. I find myself skipping many of its tracks, which i often confuse with each other. I could jever really get into it. That said there are some gems on there, but i simply dont under stand what the wider community sees in it, and Im just left to assume that it has something to do with Change being on the radio all the time or something.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    white pony overrated?! good god. I always thought deftones were okay but that album was sublime. I think the stigma around metal and particularly nu metal is the only thing that keeps it underrated. If radiohead released digital bath everyone would be fawning

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Deftones are probably the only so called nu metal act worth a sh*t, look at it today, the rest of them is just garbage but deftones keeps improving and refining their art, truly a gifted unit.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    its a barren genre, slipknot soad amd deftones did good stuff, korn had the odd good song. But deftones are certainly the only band with any credibility from that era (whatever that means, I know what I mean though)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Deftones have been very good at points. Some of their stuff sounds a bit lame nowadays, but at least they try and innovate, i love their more shoegazey sound...wish they had explored that more.
    With Nu Metal... If Michael Bay had made music instead of films, he would have been in a Nu-Metal band, ....loads of wannabe macho explosions, but totally empty. Utterly empty. Music for 16 year old joyriders whove just started masturbating.
    These type of people, dont scare me at all. Its weak. I find a lot of Metal empty. It can be such a great powerful terrifying genre when its got some real soul and atmosphere and innovation behind it.
    the best metal does not just depend on how hard they play. I find Godflesh way more real and disturbing than many other dorky bands like Cradle of Filth etc. Its got to have some reality behind it!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah every time I see who Deftones tour with and their supposed associated acts, it always feels so wrong. It's always a painful reminder, like, oh yeah, people think these guys are in the sane league as Korn, Disturbed, and limp bizkit. fml they are so far ahead of those guys .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Reading this thread inspired me to browse around and try to learn what exactly was so fucked uo about Saturday Night Wrist's process. Details are few and far between, but in the interviews i found it seems like the band STILL reflects on the album horribly.

Abe, who in my opinion is at the top of his game in SNW, said that just hearing it brings him back to that time. And so it seems like the band as a whole might have a negative association with the album to the point of potential avoidance. I wonder how much of that shitty energy carried to Eros...
    I actually interviewed Frank Delgado around the time of Saturday Night Wrist's release.

He was of course reluctant to go into details, but I'm pretty sure there were difficulties working with the album's producers as it was the first record they'd done without Terry Date.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I agree with White Pony being overrated. It has some really good songs on it...but it draggggs on for me and I find myself skipping almost every track with the exception of Rx Queen, Digital Bath, and Elite. I mean, it is definitely better than Adrenaline, but it has to be my least played Deftones album. Self-Titled all the way for me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    White Pony is definitely my favorite album from them...
    closely followed by the self-titled album

Adrenaline is my least favorite, but I think the production is what hurts it most for me.

I was really disappointed with Saturday Night Wrist when it first came out...
    but in the last couple of years I fell in love with it

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I agree with White Pony being overrated. It has some really good songs on it...but it draggggs on for me and I find myself skipping almost every track with the exception of Rx Queen, Digital Bath, and Elite. I mean, it is definitely better than Adrenaline, but it has to be my least played Deftones album. Self-Titled all the way for me.
    I agree with everything here except my fave album has to be ATF. Really love the last 2 albums as well

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkhammer View Post
    I actually interviewed Frank Delgado around the time of Saturday Night Wrist's release.

He was of course reluctant to go into details, but I'm pretty sure there were difficulties working with the album's producers as it was the first record they'd done without Terry Date.
    Judging by what i read, chino didnt get along with Bob Ezrin, because Ezrin was satisfied with takes that Chino wasnt satisfied with. The rest of the band was content on their end, and you can see on the exrin demos that many of those songs made it all the way to the album. The conflicts between chino and bob may have been the stuff of the horror stories we hear so much about.

On the other hand, it sounds like Chino was going through some pretty serious drug and alcohol problems, details of which are very scarce. It is pretty easy for me to see that this is probably the real source of the bands contention.

It looks like, faced with all the pushback from the band, chino decided to complete the Team Sleep record, which broke up what little chemistry they had going. Furthermore, the decision to start work on the album in the first place actually came from warner bros, who was disatisfied with the self titled album.

So they were forced to work on an album probably earlier than they were ready, in the middle of Chino's divorce, hes raging fucked up on meth and booze, and working with an unfamiliar and uninvested producer. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, and yet they came out on top.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Deftones have been very good at points. Some of their stuff sounds a bit lame nowadays, but at least they try and innovate, i love their more shoegazey sound...wish they had explored that more.
    With Nu Metal... If Michael Bay had made music instead of films, he would have been in a Nu-Metal band, ....loads of wannabe macho explosions, but totally empty. Utterly empty. Music for 16 year old joyriders whove just started masturbating.
    These type of people, dont scare me at all. Its weak. I find a lot of Metal empty. It can be such a great powerful terrifying genre when its got some real soul and atmosphere and innovation behind it.
    the best metal does not just depend on how hard they play. I find Godflesh way more real and disturbing than many other dorky bands like Cradle of Filth etc. Its got to have some reality behind it!
    You know jack shit about metal.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Becuase i have a certain preference for a style of Metal and a particular sound i like that means i know jack shit about metal?? Give me a metal quizz i will blow you away...I was a metal fanatic for years, went to loads of metal festivals and gigs in Europe for about 10 years. I grew tired of hearing the same thing all the time.
    I prefer if when it has a a sort of realistic emotional weight. Plus Bit of experimentation, Rather than the whole macho pantomine posturing. The whole theatrics side aint really my thing. But thats just me.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Why does it fucking matter at all which of you knows more about metal or not? Who gives a fuck. You both like Deftones, the end. Why are Metal fans always in a pissing contest with each other?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    There is no pissing contest. I just disagreed on his post.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

This rules. I posted it here since it'd probably oddly have more views here than the LOG thread.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

This rules. I posted it here since it'd probably oddly have more views here than the LOG thread.
    I was hoping for Chino singing over some sweet LoG riffs versus Chino singing over LoG impersonating Deftones, but it's still rad.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Anyone going to the show tonight? Interested to see who plays first out of them and Incubus. And it looks like they might be playing "When Girls Telephone Boys" so I'm already jealous before it's even started.

EDIT: Deftones played first and setlist is already up. Opening with "Needles and Pins"? Yes please!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/deftones/2015/dte-energy-music-theatre-clarkston-mi-23f62c83.html

Last edited by Landshark; 07-22-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wow, they're actually giving some love to the self titled album. I really like the self titled, very underrated album in the Deftones catalog that gets shit for no reason other than not being White Pony Part 2 and being followed by Saturday Night Wrist. This was the first Deftones album I ever heard and it was awesome in 2003 and it's still awesome now in 2015. I rather enjoyed that Lamb of God/Chino collabo too, I might not be as into LOG as I was as a teenager but they can still make a solid headbanger when they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    I just want to go back to this exchange for a second though because not many involve 2 bands like Godflesh and Cradle of Filth, who I both love for completely different reasons. Cradle, sure they've sucked for a long time now, but Nymphetamine and pretty much everything before it was awesome. Midian, Dusk and Her Embrace, From the Cradle to Enslave, fucking awesome stuff there. Even their really shittily recorded black metal aping early material like Dark Fairy Tales in Phallustein and The Principle of Evil Made Flesh are sick, good stuff.

Godflesh on the other hand, I have an unpopular opinion that they only got better and better after Streetcleaner. Streetcleaner is awesome, but give me some Selfless or Songs of Love and Hate over it every day, Godflesh were unstoppable in the 90s and even Us And Them and Hymns were very good, although deliberate changes in style with the more electro Us and Them (which Broadrick hates now and says sounds too much like a remix album) or the more standard metal and live drumming with Hymns. A World Lit Only By Fire was one of my favorite albums from 2014, Godflesh totally lost nothing during their absence. Also if that guy is bringing up nu metal, Godflesh is a total inspiration for nu metal, hell the Songs of Love and Hate album might as well be one of the best nu metal records ever made, if not the best ever, if one wanted to label Godflesh as nu metal. But no one really considers them nu metal.

I know this is a Deftones topic but someone had to bring both of those bands up, and I just had to go off on a tangent about it.
    Last edited by ViN; 07-22-2015 at 09:21 PM.