Page 88 of 181 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 138 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,640 of 5443

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @Jinsai - This is going to be a bit hard for me to word, but I'm sure you'll understand that I don't mean anything bad by it, as I'm also very-well aware that you're a dedicated, passionate, well-read and knowledgeable fan of music as a whole that highly values quality and taste, while actually being able to accept tastes that you're not so fond of, or just flat-out aren't into.

Anyway, the fact that you out of all people made this thread, actually made me smile. This also seems like Love Listing again, and it probably is, but yes, it was certainly nice to see that you made that thread overall.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...sical-Opinions

It could also serve as an excellent way to balance out the Shitty Music. (The Nickelback Thread) and the Controversial Music Thread as we've definitely seen more than enough of those. (That's definitely not to say that they're bad threads either, but it would be also nice to see a general thread on what types of music people like/love, and it would be also great for recommendations as well.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-29-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Saw a new bird for my life list today - and when you're a birder, any day when you see a new bird is a good day. The bird, in case you're wondering, was a Cassin's Sparrow (see my photo here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/56431656@N06/18087716020/), normally found in arid grasslands of Arizona, Texas, and other such states, and rare here in California. This sparrow - #487 on my life list - has been present in the sagebrush around the Castaic Sports Complex for several days now.

As a bonus, before carpooling with another birder to the sparrow, me and a bunch of other birders saw a brilliant male Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the hills overlooking the Ballona Freshwater Marsh (see my photo here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/564316...n/photostream/). Another bird that has been present for several days at its location, the Rose-breasted Grosbeak was a new addition to my L.A. County bird list (having previously seen it in Kern and Humboldt counties); it is a rare but regular visitor to the western states during migration periods. A similar pattern of vagrancy to the east holds true for the Black-headed Grosbeak (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/B...ed_Grosbeak/id), common throughout the west from spring through fall.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avesjohn View Post
    Saw a new bird for my life list today - and when you're a birder, any day when you see a new bird is a good day. The bird, in case you're wondering, was a Cassin's Sparrow (see my photo here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/56431656@N06/18087716020/), normally found in arid grasslands of Arizona, Texas, and other such states, and rare here in California. This sparrow - #487 on my life list - has been present in the sagebrush around the Castaic Sports Complex for several days now.

As a bonus, before carpooling with another birder to the sparrow, me and a bunch of other birders saw a brilliant male Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the hills overlooking the Ballona Freshwater Marsh (see my photo here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/564316...n/photostream/). Another bird that has been present for several days at its location, the Rose-breasted Grosbeak was a new addition to my L.A. County bird list (having previously seen it in Kern and Humboldt counties); it is a rare but regular visitor to the western states during migration periods. A similar pattern of vagrancy to the east holds true for the Black-headed Grosbeak (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/B...ed_Grosbeak/id), common throughout the west from spring through fall.
    That's really cool, your passion for birds. I saw a white snowy owl once. That was cool.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    That's really cool, your passion for birds. I saw a white snowy owl once. That was cool.
    That's cool ('specially for a non-birder), but I saw four Snowy Owls once. That transcends cool and goes straight to awesome. (Photo of two of them: https://www.flickr.com/photos/56431656@N06/8591102944/)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avesjohn View Post
    That's cool ('specially for a non-birder), but I saw four Snowy Owls once. That transcends cool and goes straight to awesome. (Photo of two of them: https://www.flickr.com/photos/56431656@N06/8591102944/)
    You must have a good camera. I'd show you my iPhone photo, but it's shite.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    You must have a good camera. I'd show you my iPhone photo, but it's shite.
    Actually, the Snowy Owl photo (and all my photos prior to last July) was taken with a point-and-shoot camera, nothing spectacular. In this case, I set the camera up against my companion's spotting scope to get a better picture - we birders call that "digiscoping", though most do it with their smartphones (which I do now, too, having upgraded to an iPhone from my old flip phone only last October). Last July I got a DSLR camera as a (belated) college graduation gift, and my bird pictures have markedly improved as a direct result.

TLDR: the Snowy Owl photo is not representative of most of my older bird photos.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Finding a lot of empty seats in buses and railroad cars, and finding a lot more dollars than I've remembered or expected on my MetroCard. It just occurred to me again as I haven't been riding public transportation regularly, but it hardly ever gets old.

Oh yes, and whenever any bus or train that I'm riding on is actually ahead schedule as well.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

Does this go here? Me and my wife (woah) went parasailing on our honeymoon last month!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    "The man said, 'No, not today!'"

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    When you're expecting everything to go to shit, and then everything actually goes really well. Not just "not shit," but actually well.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    been spending the past few days remodeling and reorganizing my studio. I'm pretty sure today it will be ready to roll, and it's looking pretty rocking

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    7 days 80 hours, only yelled at someone once and I feel kinda bad about it but still dude needs to figure it out. Now I have three whole days off. I work Thursday and still get my usual , somehow, (Friday Saturday) days off. And I'm going to see a movie on cheap Tuesday with the lady friend. Also I'm getting shit drunk tonight if I don't fall asleep at the bar.
    Last edited by Pillfred; 06-14-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    awwwww yeah... not the best picture, but this is a shot of my new production space, and if you were me, you'd be stoked

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    awwwww yeah... not the best picture, but this is a shot of my new production space, and if you were me, you'd be stoked
    That's beautiful man! If only I had that much space! Is that a Jaguar or a Jazzmaster (oh wait, I think you have both nvmd)? Also, nice old school TV

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Also, nice old school TV
    Heh Heh - that's what I noticed too. Brings back good memories of watching the boob tube at my Grandparent's house.

I'm cheered.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dra508 View Post
    heh heh - that's what i noticed too. Brings back good memories of watching the boob tube at my grandparent's house.

I'm cheered.
    My Dutch Grandpa would hog the only TV when BONANZA was on, ugh.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    My Dutch Grandpa would hog the only TV when BONANZA was on, ugh.
    Mine would turn the dam thing off during commercials. "Grandma, when you going know when the show's back on" /headsmack

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    That's beautiful man! If only I had that much space!
    Thanks! We put a lot of work into it (along with 20+ years of gear hoarding), but I can't even begin to put into words how grateful I am to have free access to this space. The songs just write themselves.

Is that a Jaguar or a Jazzmaster (oh wait, I think you have both nvmd)?
    John (my music/studio partner) collects guitars, and yeah, I'm pretty sure that's both. They all sound different, but he keeps them maintained with specific tunings. It's all over my head but it sounds good!

Also, nice old school TV
    We tried to get it running laser discs today. Sadly, the power exploded after a short bit, so now it's just a pretty stand.We still dragged in an old tv and put Hellraiser and Return of the Jedi on today.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    HBO Now

It. Is. Glorious.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Recent purchases
    60 watt magsafe power adapter
    Mini displayport to vga adapter
    Jbl charge 2 Bluetooth speaker

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Wheel of Fortune, 60 Minutes, Jeopardy, and Dan Rather...
    Is what I watched.
    Last edited by Pillfred; 06-17-2015 at 02:59 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Wheel of Fortune
    my wife and i have been watching 90s episodes of wheel of fortune on youtube when we've been drinking lately. knowing that pat was probably drunk during them makes them even funnier to watch.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i,mayfping fhis not using not henpecking o using rhe ipad cane is going in the traah !sill can't spell

-loiuie

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just put down a small deposit on a brand new 2015 Volkswagen Golf (gasoline engine) that will be in on saturday, at which point my wife and i will be putting down more money and picking it up from the dealership! YAY!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    just put down a small deposit on a brand new 2015 Volkswagen Golf (gasoline engine) that will be in on saturday, at which point my wife and i will be putting down more money and picking it up from the dealership! YAY!
    My first new car was a Jetta. Loved the car. I see them on the road now and think they are so small.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    i'm FINALLY back in the panhandle and really look forward to catching up with you guys.

I hope everyone has been well!!!
    @Jinsai , is that a fender Coronado II? The hollow body i mean?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The random absurdity of life never fails.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    So my black kitty says "hello."
    Not just kind of...i mean it's creepy. I think i've mentioned it on ets before.

Well, while i was in colorado for the past 3 weeks, he taught our maine coon to do it.

It's SUCH a trip!

I'm gonna get a recording of it.

They walk around saying "mweow-OH?"

Also, i'm DAMNED glad to be home.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    also posted in "what are you reading"

i would never in a million years read any of the 50 shades books, but this article about the newest one is SLAYING me.

nsfw (language) and also contains the phrase "music to my dick" >.<

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Hahahahahahahhahahaa.