Page 23 of 182 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    "What would you think if I wanted us to try having sex?"

UMMMMM...That's a pretty awesome way to start the week, I guess.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    A campus sponsored booth at the University Center was giving out free doughnuts and apple juice - in juice box form!

+ I got to vote today in North Carolina's early voting

Also... I found a tennis ball and softball out near the Rec. Fields.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I think (I hope) that I may survive Real Analysis. I'll see when the test comes back. (It is a grad. math course that is notorious) If it doesn't get any worse than this and I'm half way through I think I'll make it. Plus, topology is fun. (My other class)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Started working out again after a year of no physical exercise. Feels good to get back on shape!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Beating David Yow at Scrabble twice in two weeks. Yes, I'm being a fangirl. So what?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^ OH WAIT CRAP, I DIDN'T MEAN TO FACEPALM THAT, I MEANT TO HUMP THAT POST!!! HOW THE FUCK DOES ONE BEAT DAVID YOW AT SCRABBLE?!?!?!?!?

Anyway ...

G and I are selling our other house and, in an attempt to spend as little cash as possible to fix it up for sale, we've done some work ourselves. Our contractor quote reduced TWO GRAND because of the work we did ourselves. So far, we've stripped and painted the front and back wrought iron porch rails (the house was built in 1942) and today, I painted a dining room; painting is actually pretty relaxing and zen. Getting the place this far and ready for sale is, trust me, monumental. "Cheer" me up barely scratches the surface. The place is paid off so if we price it correctly, hopefully it will sell fast AND THAT CASH IS GONNA PAY FOR MY NEW KITCHEN IN MY HOUSE, BITCHES.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-19-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    ^^ OH WAIT CRAP, I DIDN'T MEAN TO FACEPALM THAT, I MEANT TO HUMP THAT POST!!! HOW THE FUCK DOES ONE BEAT DAVID YOW AT SCRABBLE?!?!?!?!?
    I KNEW you'd understand my fangirl moment! I'm still in shock.

And congrats on rocking the home improvements!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My father-in-law's follow up CT scan is negative for cancer! (He had surgery for pancreatic cancer in April).

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Oh hello, documentary on PBS about the Cuban Missile Crisis!

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Star Wars Tabletop RPG going off without a hitch. Player group is 100% new to the game (ive been GM'ing for 7 years), 2 of the 4 have NEVER played a tabletop RPG before. for a buncha newbs, this is going swimmingly.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Waking up and realising that your throat is sore because of the good reason

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Conventional Rooney wisdom:

"maybe you do do it occasionally but it's not weird, you know, 'cause youre just, two guys with raging goals you know?"

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Took my daughter to see Ingrid Michaelson show last night, of course a fun show, but we had most fun the 20-30 minutes waiting playing "dialogue" where we'd speak conversations assigned to people we saw milling about and talking in the distance. Subjects ranged from monkeys taking swimming lessons to how to care for an overweight cat.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    ^^^^ My sister in law does a version of 'dialogue' where she picks a person out in the crowd and gives them a back story: "she was raised by wolves, came out of the forest, and went to cooking school"

Black liquorice.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I went to a gig of a band where I'm friendly with the band members via Facebook and being having chats with the singer a good bit, since we have a very similar sense of humour and a lot of the same interests. They were fucking LOVELY guys, got a free shirt from merch and my favourite song dedicated to me on stage. I had the worst hangover ever the next day due to it being the first time drinking in a month, but it was worth it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like that I can like posts on ets.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I'm going to make myself some pumpkin puree tonight. The nom nom factor is endless.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    The best answer to "Do you wanna come over tonight:"

"I dunno, are you gonna fuck me if I spend the night?"

Sorry, Assassin's Creed 3. You'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got a second job as an independent contractor for a catering company. I don't care if it's mostly bussing tables and washing dishes, it pays $15.00/hour, and that's more than Fucking Target pays!

Also, really intelligent and incredibly attractive Puerto Rican men. The intelligence enhances the attractiveness. Mmmmmmm!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    It appears to me that getting accepted to this AmeriCorps program relies much on luck in terms of competition, because my interview consisted of 9 questions basically asking me if I'm willing to be in assorted situations that I was already aware of, like being in close quarters with a bunch of young people from "various background" and without my personal "belongings, friends, and family" for 10 months. Anyways, they will review my online application and references in a couple days, and then they make the final decision!

YAYYYYY!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    It appears to me that getting accepted to this AmeriCorps program relies much on luck in terms of competition, because my interview consisted of 9 questions basically asking me if I'm willing to be in assorted situations that I was already aware of, like being in close quarters with a bunch of young people from "various background" and without my personal "belongings, friends, and family" for 10 months. Anyways, they will review my online application and references in a couple days, and then they make the final decision!

YAYYYYY!
    You'd be surprised how many folks show up to something like that and are like "where's my suite" and "you want me to sleep next to that?" "I have to share a bath room?" If you make the program, get your shots.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    You'd be surprised how many folks show up to something like that and are like "where's my suite" and "you want me to sleep next to that?" "I have to share a bath room?" If you make the program, get your shots.
    Hah, yeah that makes sense considering the age range will be from 18 to 24...but hell, I've experienced going to Japan in high school and having to share the public showers with the other girls, and also going to public bath houses. Reading the information packet about AmeriCorps, the only thing that surprised me but made complete sense to me was the three times a week exercise regimen I'll have to do. I'm going to be so buff, it's going to be great!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    Hah, yeah that makes sense considering the age range will be from 18 to 24...but hell, I've experienced going to Japan in high school and having to share the public showers with the other girls, and also going to public bath houses. Reading the information packet about AmeriCorps, the only thing that surprised me but made complete sense to me was the three times a week exercise regimen I'll have to do. I'm going to be so buff, it's going to be great!
    Then if your experience living independently is evident on the application, that's should put you in the plus column. Wait wha? Americorp has a exercise program?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Then if your experience living independently is evident on the application, that's should put you in the plus column. Wait wha? Americorp has a exercise program?
    Unfornutately the whole online application form didn't lend to any "relevant experience" information, but I was able to put it all my volunteering. I really should have found some way of writing about my travel and independent living experience in my "motivational statement", but I was just thinking about the broad ways in which I'm inspired to volunteer, talking about growing up and general values and understanding of community support, and then a bit about my artistic identity and how even as an artist I feel I should give back somehow to the "society I belong too".
    The exercise comes, I believe, from the fact that I'll be doing physically strenuous work during direct disaster "relieving" and it's a FEMA Corps partnership...but the NCCC program was modeled after the Civilian Conservation Corps of the 1930s and incorporates "teamwork, leadership, and self discipline derived from the military model"...I'm ok with it as long as they don't yell insults and humiliations at me while I'm exercising! Plus, I get what's called a "Battle Dress Uniform" pants (and other uniform stuff).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Spent the last few days home alone, haven't been so productive in a while. I should get these "days off" more often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Now that I have a job I am basking in the glory of procrastinating on the internet instead of reading the articles I need for Monday. It feels good to be employed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Uncoiled. Goddamn phenomenal.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    when lost chunks of faith are restored.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heroicraptor View Post
    Uncoiled. Goddamn phenomenal.
    I'm especially enjoying talking about "the new NIN record" with everyone from here on social media outlets and confusing the rest of my friends.