Page 160 of 182 FirstFirst ... 60 110 150 158 159 160 161 162 170 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,800 of 5442

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

late night impulse buy off the internet and OH MY GOD I LOVE IT SO MUCH

i want all the fitted, collared dresses, plz

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Haha BRUTAL

lol, he's not getting his money back. I picture the grease monkeys in The Mask for some reason.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Reminds me of James Earl Jones.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Accurate representation of us aussies in the kitchen. I fucking belly laughed at this one.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

You know those bikes you see on the beach sometimes? Someone on Craigslist was giving one of these away so I took the opportunity and grabbed it. It needed new tires/tubes and pedals and a complete overhaul of the drivetrain and brake system but I've been rehabbing it slowly over the winter. The last thing I needed to do was the pedals so I did that this weekend. Tore up the tip of my index finger pretty badly - turns out the metal on the inside of the pedal is pretty sharp, like surgical sharp, because I didn't even know it was happening until I took my finger back out.

Anyway, got the pedals done and on the thing and took it around outside the house for a bit. It's a lot of fun, though honestly impossible to ride anywhere there's even the slightest hill. I mean, there's no gears and there's no way to force the pedaling like on a normal bike. You brake by pedaling backwards and that's it.

My son didn't like riding it because you use your full body to steer and he said it feels like you're going to fall off when you turn.

Should be fun for those times I can find a flat spot here in the PNW.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Was not exactly perfect but I passed my motorcycle class Sunday. I dorked a couple things on the final riding test that I had previously done fine but not bad enough to have to retest. Balancing a 500# bike really highlighted how lazy I’ve been recently as my legs were not used to it. Now I just have to wait until the 13th to go to the dmv and update my dl at which point I could go and yeet myself down the interstate to certain death. I won’t be doing that. I will be doing some more parking lot practice for some time to come. I am however pretty pumped am the same.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I am getting the keys to my new apartment tomorrow. Having the movers do the heavy lifting on Saturday, but this moved so dang fast. I'll be glad to be on my own, and do all the weird shit I do without watching eyes. I'm glad I was in this huge house with my mother during covid, but we're both vaxed, and I have to start going into the office. Changes are weird, but I'm looking forward to doing my own thang. I haven't lived on my own since 2008, and I'm so. damn. ready.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    This board and the core group of awesome people who post on it. I'm sorry the majority of my posts are negative bitchfests but I just have nowhere else to vent it out. I appreciate you all.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    My lilttle Yaris GR, aaah... %*)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    the clerk at Whole Foods just told me that my glow-in-the-dark COIL shirt is the coolest thing she's seen, and wanted to know where she could buy it, and she looked legitimately upset when I told her that I don't think you can anymore because they only made 50 of them. Watch me rock.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-01-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

my audio interview with Cave Dweller Music is up today! listen to me talk about how much i love music, hate capitalism, and what it's like to be queer/trans.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I told myself I'd get the hair cut once the first shot was in me. I took a foot off and was looking for one style, but this one gives me unintended options. Right now, it's David Lynch hair.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'm moved into the new apartment. It's really weird to be on my own this much. I haven't lived this alone since....2004. The whole pandemic thing makes it way less fun. It's after midnight, and I ordered a bunch of groceries for delivery tomorrow afternoon.... I think basically I'm eating homemade burritos for the next week. Despite being exhausted, I still managed to do some yoga for 25 min. I'm on day 95 of daily practice. It's keeping me grounded during a lot of change and weirdness.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my audio interview with Cave Dweller Music is up today! listen to me talk about how much i love music, hate capitalism, and what it's like to be queer/trans.
    so apologies to anyone who listened to this...they basically didn't edit it, and the program they used to record it caused a delay that got worse as things went on. so there are REALLY long pauses and then overlapping speech and it's just...it gets really unbearable toward the end. a little frustrated about it, honestly.

but this is the cheer you up thread, so...

my friend kody helped me start the legal name-change process on saturday and then raided my closet and took almost all of my old button-up shirts. just trying to give away as much of my masc clothing as possible to make room for fun femme stuff. we also took a walk. and then i rode my bike over by the lincoln park zoo and met up with a new friend, with whom i walked and talked for like 2ish hours? my goth card is gonna get revoked for how much time i've spent out in the sun in the last few days haha.

oh and (it's not officially announced til tomorrow so SHHHHHH) the podcast i edit, Halloweenies, got picked up by Bloody Disgusting!!!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    just had that person on FB follow up by calling me a "pussy boy bitch soy boy" and I said "you do know I could just hit the report button right?" and he said "go ahead pussy bitch! DO IT!"

Guess what I did?
    Outside of Messenger I strayed far from FB and it feels great! Obliviousness can be a blessing.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Good God.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Dorothea Taylor is on IG, she’s the GOAT, and she’s inspired me to start reading and practicing rudimental snare music, again.

I’m getting a practice pad this week (because my snare drum is way too loud for so much practice).

A post shared by on

I don’t know how Carlos reads and plays rudimental snare music while sitting down; I can only play while standing up.

A post shared by on

Last edited by allegro; 05-03-2021 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    My partner grew up learning drum for a pipe band in the UK. He had drum pads (plural, some with/ without metal bearings for the full effect/sound) and went through drills daily for a couple of years (he's a musician and it would come/go in phases). It was interesting to hear how they were different from high school band drum drills, but both are similar in complexity. I had friends who were in high school drum lines, and walking to school listening to drum drills were a particular enjoyment of mine.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    My partner grew up learning drum for a pipe band in the UK.
    Cool!

Dorothea Taylor (IG) was in a drum and bugle corps, which plays different snare music than a traditional marching band, which plays different snare music than a drum line. I did a lot of concert band, and snare rudimentary competition material, which focuses heavily on rudiments, which is really an individual thing (vs. a team thing, like a drum line or marching band), although I did do a few duet competitions.

My goal while in school was more symphonic orchestra, playing ALL percussion instruments (which we had to learn in junior high and high school, reading music in both bass and treble clefs). But then I started smoking too much pot.

Dorothea has inspired women in their 50s to START learning to read snare music and learn rudiments, which is great. At the same time, she’s got young kids who worship her. This pandemic has people learning (or re-discovering) skills.

It’s so great seeing Dorothea coaching. When I was in 7th grade, in the early-70s, I was the only girl out of 13 drummers in band. Two of the guys regularly tried to hit me with the bass drum mallets. I had to hide my sticks in my knee socks every day going to band so people wouldn’t hassle me. The only way I could guarantee myself a snare drum (there were only 3 snares, in junior high and high school) was to test so well that I got 1st Chair. So I practiced all the time and got 1st Chair every semester, for years.

Cut to decades later, and I stood up in a wedding where the bride and two of the bridesmaids had been in a high school drum line together in Dallas.

And the Principle Percussion Chair of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra is Cynthia Yeh. <3

Take THAT, you asshole boys in 7th grade band.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-05-2021 at 12:11 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    EVERY time I run across this, I laugh. Like, so hard I nearly spit coffee through my nose. It never gets old.

Last edited by allegro; 05-05-2021 at 12:06 PM. Reason: When does it end, Diane?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

oh my...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

i laughed so hard that my entire body hurts

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

i laughed so hard that my entire body hurts
    Full on snort laugh.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I was not expecting that reaction, wow.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Some of the stuff I look at around the apartment... (just, uh, ignore the lack of dusting)