Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Random score thoughts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's kinda funny because in 1989 when Pretty Hate Machine came out TR said 'I hate house...'

See: https://www.theninhotline.com/archiv...cle.php?id=635
    Interesting! Pretty definitive no there, isn't it haha...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's kinda funny because in 1989 when Pretty Hate Machine came out TR said 'I hate house...'

See: https://www.theninhotline.com/archiv...cle.php?id=635
    Musical taste can change a lot in 33 years. I know mine has.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Seems no Golden Globe nod for Bones and All or Empire of Light

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    Seems no Golden Globe nod for Bones and All or Empire of Light
    Same for the Oscars (they just released the shortlist). No original song nod, either.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Same for the Oscars (they just released the shortlist). No original song nod, either.
    I almost feel like this Oscar race shit is bad for films, Empire of Light doesn't even come out till mid January in the UK and it feels like its been critically panned and everyone's opinion swayed before normal people have even seen it. How can that be good for business?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    How can that be good for business?
    Well, it's good for business for films that critics think are good, as they get a second life during Oscars season. But also, critics aren't trying to help business--they're trying to let you know whether a movie is worth seeing or not--and awards shows aren't trying to help business either--they're recognizing what they think are the best films, performances, etc. of the year. If a movie doesn't make their list, they probably don't care if it does well or not.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Can’t find anything on who is scoring the next Fincher movie “The Killer”. Hmmmm
    called it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I miss the pulse pounding scores!

“Dispatches from Elsewhere” was the last score (post-watchmen but same year) that had the urgency I love.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I haven't gotten to give those soundtracks a listen yet. How are they?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scribnation View Post
    I haven't gotten to give those soundtracks a listen yet. How are they?
    The Watchmen score? Ridiculously good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    The Watchmen score? Ridiculously good.
    If I recall correctly, they were told to lean more into the Nine Inch Nails of it all, so it feels more NIN / The Vietnam War. It rocks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    hey, does anyone know if there is a one stop way or torrent i can download all of their score discography in one place {without having to repurchase/redownload the albums I've already previously purchase individually}? Ive collected a lot of what they've done in vinyl/physical format over the years, which i do enjoy sitting down and listening to but in todays day I've come to really enjoy the convenience of just quickly playing it on phone synced to a Bluetooth speaker or headphones. Just looking for an easy way to download everything all at once as now their scoring discography has becoming quite large and I'm missing a lot in digital format. please answer here or DM if you know of any way to do this quickly and easily.
    thanks guys

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Snubbed from the Academy Awards but no surprise there either.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    Snubbed from the Academy Awards but no surprise there either.
    We already knew that back in December when the shortlists were announced.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'm definitely in the minority here. Absolutely uninterested in this [TMNT].

It feels like he's making all the cash grab end of career moves. Definitely diluting his legacy.

First Disney cartoons, then Halsey pop albums. Now this. I'm just not interested in any of it.

[Mod note: split discussion here due to off-topic drift]
    Last edited by TheBang; 06-06-2023 at 03:09 PM. Reason: thread split

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    I'm definitely in the minority here. Absolutely uninterested in this.

It feels like he's making all the cash grab end of career moves. Definitely diluting his legacy.

First Disney cartoons, then Halsey pop albums. Now this. I'm just not interested in any of it.
    Totally fair that none of it is up your alley, but it's clear they aren't just doing these for money. Putting in the extra effort into getting the art right is still their top priority, regardless of whose project it is. I'm really not one who likes Halsey's usual work but I'm glad I put in the time to engage with those songs. I'm never going to see a Disney movie but some of the stuff they composed for Soul was pretty affecting. Willing to give this a chance, too.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Totally get that. I just never used to have to "give it a chance" with reznors work in the past. It used to just immediately be awesome to me. I didn't have to try and like it.

all of the stuff he's doing now is just not something I'm interested in caring about. But I guess if other people like it, then I'm glad for them I guess.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm definitely in the minority here. Absolutely uninterested in this.

Trent & Atticus are doing work that interests them and challenges them. Calling it a cash grab just because it's not your cup of tea just makes you sound bitter.

I'm so tired of people whining about a new film score at this point. It's like whining because Danny Elfman hasn't made a new Oingo Boingo album. They've been in the game for over a decade now. They're established, and they obviously like doing it and they enjoy the challenge of doing something that doesn't have to fit into the Nine Inch Nails mold. You don't have to listen to it. You don't have to watch the films they score. It's your choice to get upset about them doing film scores though.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Never said I was upset. Just sayin there's been a significant run of projects I have zero interest in. Which is a change from the old days.

But you go ahead and put words in my mouth.

Glad you enjoy it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Just sayin there's been a significant run of projects I have zero interest in.
    Help me out here: as artists, are they supposed to cater to your interests or their own? Feel free to answer honestly.

Personally, I've only listened to part of the Mank score because most of that style of music doesn't appeal to me. I've only listened to the Soul score once, and I liked it, but I haven't felt much of a need to listen to it again. But I get why they did those projects. There's an obvious passion and interest in the projects they've done. Trent has said that they've passed up several films because they had no interest in them. So, if these film scores are simply "cash grabs", why turn down the work? They could be doing Marvel movies if they really wanted to, but it's clear that they are at a point where they can try things out and work on stuff that's interesting to them. I find that very respectable. Nine Inch Nails will come back when it comes back. I don't know why fans feel this weird betrayal every time Trent & Atticus do something that's not Nine Inch Nails.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 06-04-2023 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Teenage Mutant NINja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (2023)

Again. With putting words in my mouth. I didn't say I felt betrayed. I said I'm uninterested in the last few projects. And I said they feel like a cash grab. TO ME. but again. Feel free to make assumptions about my opinions.

Trent can do whatever he wants. Doesn't mean I have to think it's cool.

Additionally, I'm positive he doesn't give 1 shit about my opinion as well.

Last edited by DVYDRNS; 06-04-2023 at 09:24 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Trent can do whatever he wants. Doesn't mean I have to think it's cool.
    Who said you did? I certainly didn't. I was just pointing out how ridiculous it was to whine about them doing a film score when they've been doing film scores for a long time now. They obviously enjoy it, and it's brought them a lot of success and admiration, both from NIN fans and film fans. It's also ridiculous to call them cash grabs when they actively turn down work if it's not creatively fulfilling in some way. (Let's be real: you don't go through the stress of writing and producing an old-timey score for a film during a pandemic just for the cash.)

Every interview they've done about their scores has always emphasized why they've done it. They liked the story, or they got to work with someone they admired, or they got to do something different. You can believe they're cash grabs all you want, but I feel like they've been pretty clear why they've done the work that they've done, and it's not just the money.

And you're right. Trent & Atticus don't give a damn about our opinions about their score work. Nor should they, as they're clearly doing just fine without them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Never said I was upset. Just sayin there's been a significant run of projects I have zero interest in. Which is a change from the old days.

But you go ahead and put words in my mouth.

Glad you enjoy it all.

This is true, early on Social Network / TGWTDT / Gone Girl were absolute bangers, then there was a run of same-y uninteresting sounds. I'm glad the dudes are getting paid but I hit snooze on a lot of recent projects, especially the Halsey collab which was objectively bad for Halsey fans and NIN fans ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I happen to be remotely interested in Ninja Turtles, but am not expecting a groundbreaking score from TR/AR. It's just enough more info for me to potentially maybe buy a movie ticket. Def do not understand simps in this community.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I think you mean subjectively bad.

Last edited by allegate; 06-05-2023 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Who said you did? I certainly didn't. I was just pointing out how ridiculous it was to whine about them doing a film score when they've been doing film scores for a long time now.
    I guess having a different opinion is your definition of whining. I'm sure Trent appreciates your unwavering affection and defense of him on the internet.

Anyhow. Like I said. Glad you enjoy it. I'm really happy for you.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarik View Post
    the Halsey collab which was objectively bad for Halsey fans and NIN fans
    Pretty sure a lot of Halsey fans and NIN fans loved that album, but I guess if you didn't then no one else did, either.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I have no idea what the pay is for scoring a major studio film but to call anything they've done "a cash-grab" would be kind of insulting given the amount of effort we know they put into it. They've commented on Patriot's Day and Birdbox and how both left a sour taste...does that sound like the words of someone looking for easy cash? Doesn't really make a difference to me who likes what but "cash grab" comes with a connotation that automatically puts words in mouths. If you don't like that pick a different phrase.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Doesn't really make a difference to me who likes what but "cash grab" comes with a connotation that automatically puts words in mouths. If you don't like that pick a different phrase.
    Bingo.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I have no idea what the pay is for scoring a major studio film but to call anything they've done "a cash-grab" would be kind of insulting given the amount of effort we know they put into it. They've commented on Patriot's Day and Birdbox and how both left a sour taste...does that sound like the words of someone looking for easy cash? Doesn't really make a difference to me who likes what but "cash grab" comes with a connotation that automatically puts words in mouths. If you don't like that pick a different phrase.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Bingo.
    Same with calling Soul a "Disney cartoon." There's a difference between expressing your disinterest in something and just being a bit of an ass.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    All this shit is probably going to get cleared out of this thread soon, but I'm going to throw something onto the pile before it does anyway:

Using deliberately inflammatory language and then getting mad when you get called out on it - what are you even doing?

The fact of the matter is that nobody gives a fuck. We've been hearing this fucking moaning about the score work for at least since Gone Girl. There are threads where you can bitch about not getting more NIN, just post there, don't walk into a thread where there's a lot of excitement for a new project and take a dump in it with shit like "cash grab" and "objectively bad." All this shit is just coded language for being mad that there's not new NIN, but news flash, buddy - if these scores weren't being done, there wouldn't be new NIN anyway. You're severely misguided if you think otherwise.

I understand that moderating negativity out of a community is bad for its health, and I'm not saying I want that, but God it is irritating how there's always a contingent of people that MUST make it known how annoyed they are that the TMNT soundtrack energy is not being redirected into a mythical NIN album by posting directly in the threads of the projects they hate. We get it! You're unhappy! What a shocker! Christ. It'd be one thing if your opinion was that you didn't like it after you listened to it - but the shit's not even out yet! And, let's be real, from the tone of these posts, any given poster of this bellyaching is never going to listen to it anyway because they've pre-decided that since it's not NIN it's not worth their time. So why are you wasting everyone else's time by making that known in a thread where everyone else is excited for the upcoming music? Just listen to something else and post about that. Fuck!

To desperately try and stay actually on topic, I think this score could end up having a surprisingly heavy edge to it and I hope that's the case. Very much looking forward to seeing it in theaters and feeling the score that way - haven't done that since Waves came out.