Page 74 of 84 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Hey, thank you. That was my original career path, but I didn't stick with it. I'm thinking of trying some freelancing
    We suffered the same fate.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Hours is an extremely underrated record that keeps getting better with age. Even though it was bon voyage to Reeves Gabrels. At least he made it through the record. I've heard a few tapes of shows when he was replaced by the guy from Helmet (whose name is eluding me, senior moment) & they weren't bad but I definitely prefer Reeves.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Now, according to Reddit, 90s box set will be announced on Wednesday and will be called 'Strangers When We Meet'. 'Black Tie, White Noise' through 'Toy'. Also, one album has received the Visconti remix treatment. Guess we'll see?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Count me all the way in if it's a 90s box set. A lot of fans shit on BTWN, but I really enjoy that one. Granted, it's my least favorite 90s Bowie album, but that's like saying FDTS is my least favorite 90s NIN release..

And an actual official release of the Toy sessions..how long have we waited for this day?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Now, according to Reddit, 90s box set will be announced on Wednesday and will be called 'Strangers When We Meet'. 'Black Tie, White Noise' through 'Toy'. Also, one album has received the Visconti remix treatment. Guess we'll see?
    I don't think Visconti was anywhere near these albums, so that would be kinda weird if they called him to do it. Reeves Gabrels made some comment about working on the box set's booklet in some magazine recently, so hopefully he got to get "his" version of 'hours' in there.
    Last edited by botley; 07-13-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I would hope The Buddha of Suburbia soundtrack also makes the box set

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I don't think Visconti was anywhere near these albums, so that would be kinda weird if they called him to do it. Reeves Gabrels made some comment about working on the box set's booklet in some magazine recently, so hopefully he got to get 'his' version of ...hours in there.
    I've never heard of that...what's his version supposed to be?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I've never heard of that...what's his version supposed to be?

Reeves has said that "we did a different version of the 'hours' record, and I had played bass on that, and we let it sit and then we listened to it, and David said it was too raw. I thought it had a certain Diamond Dogs quality, but he wanted it to be more slick and polished and have fretless bass… Mark Plati came in at the end of 'hours' to play fretless bass and remix the record." He's also said it was particularly frustrating that "We Shall Go to Town" was left off the album, which was one of his favourites.
    Last edited by botley; 07-13-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Reeves has said that "we did a different version of the ...hours record, and I had played bass on that, and we let it sit and then we listened to it, and David said it was too raw. I thought it had a certain Diamond Dogs quality, but he wanted it to be more slick and polished and have fretless bass… Mark Plati came in at the end of ...hours to play fretless bass and remix the record." He's also said it was particularly frustrating that "We Shall Go to Town" was left off the album, which was one of his favourites.
    God damn. As much as I dig the album, the shocking switch from Earthling/Outside to the sound of Hours was always jarring. I'd love to hear a more transitionary version. Also, "We Shall Go To Town" is one of my all time favorite Bowie songs. I always felt like it could have been on Blackstar.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Is this the source of the Thursday's Child rock mix?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Is this the source of the Thursday's Child rock mix?
    No, I think (?) that was also Plati's work, commissioned for the CD single as I recall.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    No, I think (?) that was also Plati's work, commissioned for the CD single as I recall.
    That mix always sounded a little...forced?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    If the plan is to release a different version of Hours/b-sides/outtakes, etc. then I'm all for an official release of Rather Be Chrome, which would be about the only way Outside could possibly be any better..

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Wouldn't it have been a whole lot more cooler if the record company had allowed Bowie to release Toy while he, you know, existed, physically, on this plane?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    That alternate version of ...hours sounds cool AF. I always felt like that album would have been really good if it hadn't been so polished.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I've mostly come around to like '…hours' (or 90% of it, anyway), but it would be really interesting to hear an album-length sequence of earlier versions, if such a thing has indeed survived (ha!), from before Plati got involved. It probably would not be all that different, truth be told; I seem to remember another Reeves comment to the effect that his preferred mixes could be played on MTV, whereas Plati's were decidedly more VH1. Anyway, much of the Omikron soundtrack consisted of early/instrumental versions of songs that ended up on the album, or its B-sides... or else just unrelated pieces that Bowie had little to do with. See this.

"Brilliant Adventure" has always sounded to me like it belonged in a PC adventure game from 1999.
    Last edited by botley; 07-13-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm lazy so copy/paste...

The estate of David Bowie and Warner Music Group have announced a global partnership that will bring the late artist’s vast recorded-music catalog from 1968 through 2016 under the Warner umbrella.

The new deal sees Bowie’s albums from 2000 through 2016, which were originally released via Sony Music, joining his 1968-1999 catalog at Warner. The “Heathen,” “Reality,” “The Next Day” and “Blackstar” albums, the latter of which was released just two days before the singer’s death from cancer in January 2016, are among the works that will move to Warner in 2023.

Only Bowie’s earliest recordings — a series of singles and an eponymous album released via different British labels between 1964 and 1967, none of which were hits — and a handful of stray tracks will not be with Warner. The fifth installment in the series of Bowie “Era” boxed sets, “Brilliant Adventure (1992 – 2001),” is slated for release this fall, with details to come.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    “Brilliant Adventure (1992 – 2001),” is slated for release this fall, with details to come.
    LOL at my previous post in light of this newly-announced title. Okay, hopefully those details are imminent... '93 was what they said last year, but looks like "Real Cool World" gets in under the wire after all!

I guess "a handful of stray tracks" means some of the earlier soundtrack stuff (Labyrinth) and possibly, still, the 90s-era Tin Machine recordings will remain in limbo.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Cover art reveal. Full details coming before end of month.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Cover art reveal. Full details coming before end of month.
    The Reeves Gabrels years. Woo hoo!

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    I wonder what the new WMG deal will mean for releases going forward. I hope it means more frequent releases of studio work. And I hope they give Tony Visconti the keys and tell him to remix and remaster anything he wants. A lot of earlier Bowie material, great as it is, is in dire need of better mixing and mastering (I'm looking at Hunky Dory and Ziggy). Visconti's work on Space Oddity and Lodger was excellent. More of that please.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I'm thinking about getting one of these. Shocked that they are only $40. Bowie used 1 of these on Space Oddity. Also, he played 1 sitting on the edge of stage at the concert for NYC to start the show with Paul Simon's "America". It was 1 of the all time great concert moments & he went direct into "Heroes" with the band. There were a lot of great performances on that show but I don't think anyone topped that. The bar was set high! I'll have to balance the budget & see if its a good idea.

https://dubreq.com/product/bowie-stylophone/

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Of all the possible titles they could've chosen for a box set... they went with the one that's one letter shorter than the one they just used for a live box set. How fucking innovative is that?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I think it's a great title. Kinda feels like it echoes Brand New Career... in a way. It's also a great and often overlooked b-side from Hours...

Guess it will contain all the albums from that era with two Re:Call discs full of b-sides (sans the Earthling stuff we got earlier) and Moby remixes, while its main selling point will be the inclusion of Toy. No Leon though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    its main selling point will be the inclusion of Toy. No Leon though.
    I don't think we should expect anything toy related as heathen is not included here, it's probably gonna be a disappointing box in the end since we already got the live stuff and those 90s record probably don't need that much remastering.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I'm thinking about getting one of these. Shocked that they are only $40. Bowie used 1 of these on Space Oddity. Also, he played 1 sitting on the edge of stage at the concert for NYC to start the show with Paul Simon's "America". It was 1 of the all time great concert moments & he went direct into "Heroes" with the band. There were a lot of great performances on that show but I don't think anyone topped that. The bar was set high! I'll have to balance the budget & see if its a good idea.

https://dubreq.com/product/bowie-stylophone/
    I couldn't resist & ordered one of these. The link above is to the manfacturer. The Bowie store is on backorder with them. Also, it was $10 cheaper on the shipping & handling ordering from dubreq. Strange as the Bowie store is in the US (I'm in Seattle) & Dubreq is in England. Not totally shocking on anything to do with Bowie, haha. Some people are really gouging on shipping & handling. It's rather like Ticketbastard "service" fees. I've noticed those have gone from about 20% to about 30% since things kind of started up again. I'm not cheap, I'm frugal!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Random question… with that shelved “Toy” album, why was that the title of the album but the song itself is called “Toy (Your Turn To Drive)”? And what does/did the title “Toy” stand for anyway?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I couldn't resist & ordered one of these. The link above is to the manfacturer. The Bowie store is on backorder with them. Also, it was $10 cheaper on the shipping & handling ordering from dubreq. Strange as the Bowie store is in the US (I'm in Seattle) & Dubreq is in England. Not totally shocking on anything to do with Bowie, haha. Some people are really gouging on shipping & handling. It's rather like Ticketbastard "service" fees. I've noticed those have gone from about 20% to about 30% since things kind of started up again. I'm not cheap, I'm frugal!
    I have had one for many years (not this Bowie version, which looks great). Its more a toy than a musical instrument, and I should have watched a video or two first as I lost interest after 10 min with it. There is a higher end version that does a little more, but not Bowie branded. I'm sure it was cool as fuck in the 60's. Just a heads up.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orson thrust View Post
    I have had one for many years (not this Bowie version, which looks great). Its more a toy than a musical instrument, and I should have watched a video or two first as I lost interest after 10 min with it. There is a higher end version that does a little more, but not Bowie branded. I'm sure it was cool as fuck in the 60's. Just a heads up.
    Thanks. Ya, I was aware of what it is. It was pretty inexpensive & as I'm still pretty much stuck in the fortress of solitude due to COVID concerns I should have some fun with it. Bowie was still actually using one sometimes on his last tour. Probably a deluxe version but still it's pretty cool. Just something to play with. I don't remember the last time I bought a toy as I'm on a fixed income & this one seemed cool. I'm sure I'll get some use out of it.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Well, well... seems someone built the new box set's blurb and mockup artwork for the CD edition on the store a little early (it's gone now):

BRILLIANT ADVENTURE [1992 – 2001]

[...yada, yada...]

Exclusive to the Brilliant Adventure box set are BBC RADIO THEATRE, LONDON, JUNE 27, 2000 and RE:CALL 5. The former was recorded two days after the famous Glastonbury performance in front of 500 lucky fans at the BBC’s art deco theatre in central London. Selections from the show were available as the third CD in a very limited 3CD edition of BOWIE AT THE BEEB in September 2000 but the full concert has never before been available on vinyl. RE:CALL 5 features 39 non-album / alternative version / b-sides and soundtrack songs over 3CDs. Both BBC RADIO THEATRE, LONDON, JUNE 2000 and RE:CALL 5 are exclusive to the box set.

The physical box set’s accompanying book, 84 pages in the CD box and 128 in the vinyl set, will feature rarely seen and previously unpublished photos by photographers including Frank W. Ockenfels 3, Nick Knight, John Scarisbrick and Nina Schultz Terner and others, as well as memorabilia, technical notes about the albums from producers/engineers Brian Eno, Nile Rodgers, Reeves Gabrels and Mark Plati as well as a new an interview with THE BUDDHA OF SUBURBIA collaborator Erdal Kizilcay.

The CD box set will include faithfully reproduced mini-vinyl versions of the original albums where applicable, and the CDs will be gold colored rather than the usual silver.

EDIT: The full rundown is coming in a few hours. In the meantime, some territories are already streaming the 'radio edit' of "You've Got a Habit of Leaving" from the unreleased Toy album:

Last edited by botley; 09-28-2021 at 08:11 PM.