Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: Ghosts V: Together & Ghosts VI: Locusts

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Honestly, I have a big issue with how things have been released the past few years. I won't argue that the vinyl versions aren't nice, but as someone with limited space and no turntable, they're just not an option for me. I would much rather pay for a nice CD set or a hi-def download that comes with a PDF with all the artwork. (You know, like how it used to be done...) Instead, we have to jump through hoops to buy digital versions (or pirate them). Meanwhile, other artists are using places like Bandcamp as a one stop shop. You want a download? DONE! You want a physical copy? DONE! Why can't it be that easy with this band?
    They're not fans of CDs, the Trilogy probably only came out that way at Capitol's behest. I think the Mank download was beautifully done on Bandcamp, not sure why they couldn't do the same for Ghosts V & VI.
    Last edited by botley; 09-30-2022 at 01:26 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    They're not fans of CDs.
    Which is fine. I get that CDs aren't big anymore, but people still buy them. Hell, some bands are selling cassette versions of their albums, so people must be buying those too. My main issue is on the digital end of things though. Why do I have to buy a vinyl album to get a hi-def digital copy of the album? Or why do I have to go to a separate digital music store (Qobuz, etc.) to buy it? Why not just make the digital version available as a separate purchase for those who aren't able to get the vinyl version? I think back to the first Ghosts release, which was pretty much all-encompassing. Digital in several different formats, CDs, and vinyl. All bases were covered. Granted, you had to buy the super deluxe version to get the vinyl copies, but that was back when vinyl wasn't as big of a deal. I get that the business has changed somewhat, but if indie bands on Bandcamp can do it, why can't a bigger band that's been around for a while do it, especially when they've done it in the past? I get that Trent & Atticus have a preference for vinyl, but making it an all or nothing situation is frustrating and kind of backwards.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I think they would rather not see the quantity of people who take the free giveaway vs. the high-quality FLAC that's paid (inevitably the latter is a fraction of a percent). TR seemed personally insulted by that when they tried it for The Inevitable Rise and Liberation download release on nin.com.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I think they would rather not see the quantity of people who take the free giveaway vs. the high-quality FLAC that's paid (inevitably the latter is a fraction of a percent). TR seemed personally insulted by that when they tried it for The Inevitable Rise and Liberation download release on nin.com.
    I mean, I'm all for "it's ten bucks or go fuck yourself". I just want to have the choice at least.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    to be fair it was before its time. now bandcamp is a force and people are more used to paying those kind of models.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I'm sure within a week we'll have a paid version on physical and/or higher fidelity, but considering that there's direct instruction from ISPs to not overload the internet right now, Trent and Atticus are being responsible by only offering in standard definition
    Well... where are they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I need to relisten to these two. I liked them when they first came out but never really gave them more dedicated listens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ghosts V is my most listened to album on spotofy at 5,000minutes and nearly 600 streams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They really are phenomenal. I've been listening to them even more lately, especially while working.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger_Stealth View Post
    I need to relisten to these two. I liked them when they first came out but never really gave them more dedicated listens.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prick View Post
    Well... where are they?
    What? Lossless and high-res lossless versions of the albums were available at digital sell-through retailers within a few days of release. They're also available in high-res lossless (or lossless) on streaming providers that support that (Apple, Amazon, TIDAL, Deezer, etc.).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "...physical and/or higher fidelity"
    was kinda poking fun at the physical aspect because, I at least, am clamoring and pleading for physicals of Ghosts V and VI stuff. At least I got my Japanese exclusive merch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, I'm wrong anyways. My Japanese merch drop shirt for Ghosts VI arrived today, size 4 which fits like semi-loose XL. Artist and album name on the front, nin logo with tracklisting on the back. Very very faintly on the sleeves it says "Turn This Off Please" and "When It Happens (Don't Mind Me)". Very happy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger_Stealth View Post
    Every time I try to dive back in, I find myself unable to separate the music from the deeply awful context in which it first surfaced. It's a shame, because I really like it (especially Together) - but lockdown flashbacks are not something I want to trigger all that often.

Nevertheless, I would love a physical release at some point...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The more I listen to these albums, the more I fall in love with them. It's so wonderful experiencing the journey of Trent's instrumental work from popping up occasionally on earlier NIN albums (Help Me I Am In Hell, A Warm Place, etc.), then bursting wide open on Ghosts 1 - IV, to continue being woven throughout The Slip, YZ, etc. Then Trent & Atticus fully realizing they had another outlet, and one that was also financially viable, with film scoring, of which they were welcomed immediately at the highest levels of respect (best score first time out).

Now we have Ghosts V - VI, that in my opinion, embodies what Trent & Atticus do best with their music; capture emotion, paint a mental picture, and take the listener on a soul pulling journey. I really hope these make it out of the digital world and into the physical, with an artistic package as deserving as the amazing music it holds. They would immediately have spots among my most coveted, and most played, vinyl records in my collection.
    Last edited by Calx1111; 10-11-2022 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    Every time I try to dive back in, I find myself unable to separate the music from the deeply awful context in which it first surfaced. It's a shame, because I really like it (especially Together) - but lockdown flashbacks are not something I want to trigger all that often.

Nevertheless, I would love a physical release at some point...
    I think you just cracked why I am hesitant to return to them. It reminds me of when I was separated from my gf because of the lockdowns/shutdowns and I hated that time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It's funny though - I listened to a lot of new music throughout lockdown, but V/VI is one of the few (only?) releases where that context-stickiness remains a problem/deterrent.

It may just be that the emotional tone - even on Together - is just too on-the-nose... Lots of tension and anxiety without the catharsis that TR vocals provide.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Personally, I find it pretty easy to divorce the music from the circumstances. I've listened to so much music during painful times that I have to do that, otherwise I wouldn't have much to listen to. Not to say that it's easy, or that certain songs and albums aren't associated with those times, but I do find that taking the music on its own terms rather than connecting it to events helps a lot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah, I realize I'm probably an outlier on the extent to which that effects me - and very glad for those like you who don't have an acute issue.

If I'm able to anticipate being stressed or otherwise in a negative frame of mind, I'll go so far as to avoid new or unfamiliar music if I can help it. In the case of V/VI, curiosity got the better of me.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    For me, these albums have been interesting. When I-IV came out, it was, "holy shit; there's a new NIN double album, and it's all instrumental!" Plus, to this day, the album has a unique sound and vibe to it that separate it from anything else.

But by the time V and VI came out, there had been about 10 scores by Trent and Atticus, some of which had really strong identities (The Social Network, Before the Flood, Watchmen) and some of which felt like they kind of blended together sonically (Gone Girl, Patriots Day, parts of Vietnam War and Bird Box).

When Ghosts V and VI came out, I was happy there was more music, but it also felt a little like more of the same. Granted, we know it may have been unused score work, so that's not surprising, and they clearly just wanted to put something out there for free to help people in a time of crisis in the best way they knew how, so ultimately, whether they spent time making new music or just put out some unreleased material, I'm very happy that these albums exist.

But to my previous point, I've never quite absorbed these as much as I have some of the other instrumental work. That feeling where a track comes on, and you go, "ooooh, this one," I never quite got there. I feel the same with some of the other score work I mentioned, like Patriots Day and Bird Box. On the other hand, Ghosts I-IV, The Social Network, Dragon Tattoo, Watchmen, Soul, Mank all very special and unique to me. Maybe I just haven't spent enough time with the others, so hopefully my relationship with them changes, but for now Ghosts V & VI seem to be in a pool of TR/AR instrumental work that I just haven't connected with.
    Last edited by Toadflax; 10-13-2022 at 03:12 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    For me, these albums have been interesting. When I-IV came out, it was, "holy shit; there's a new NIN album, and it's all instrumental!" Plus, to this day, the album has a unique sound and vibe to it that separate it from anything else.

But by the time V and VI came out, there had been about 10 scores by Trent and Atticus, some of which had really strong identities (The Social Network, Before the Flood, Watchmen) and some of which felt like they kind of blended together sonically (Gone Girl, Patriots Day, parts of Vietnam War and Bird Box).

When Ghosts V and VI came out, I was happy there was more music, but it also felt a little like more of the same. Granted, we know it may have been unused score work, so that's not surprising, and they clearly just wanted to put something out there for free to help people in a time of crisis in the best way they knew how, so ultimately, whether they spent time making new music or just put out some unreleased material, I'm very happy that these albums exist.

But to my previous point, I've never quite absorbed these as much as I have some of the other instrumental work. That feeling where a track comes on, and you go, "ooooh, this one," I never quite got there. I feel the same with some of the other score qork I mentioned, like Patriots Day and Bird Box. On the other hand, Ghosts I-IV, The Social Network, Dragon Tattoo, Watchmen, Soul, Mank all very very special and unique to me. Maybe I just haven't spend enough time with the others, so hopefully my relationship with them changes, but for now Ghosts V & VI seem to be in a pool of TR/AR instrumental work that I just haven't connected with.
    You've almost perfectly summed up my experiences with all of those, too. I even have the same favorites (most notably, Ghosts I-IV, The Social Network, Dragon Tattoo, Watchmen), though I admit I haven't fully absorbed Mank, either. I do know Ghosts V & VI well enough to have a few favorite tracks from each, but I definitely know the first half of both releases MUCH better than the second half.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I just look this up ... are the Ghost tees and Hoodie sold out??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They were only available for purchase in BIOTOP stores in Japan. I had some lovely friends over there get me some items and ship them over.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Ghosts VI is now available in 24-48 hi-res lossless at Qobuz. This is the first time it's been available at that resolution for purchase:

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/gh.../ymbc4tkxtn2pc
    FYI, Ghosts V is now also available for purchase in 24-48 for the first time anywhere:
    https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/gh.../cgzcyvy3arjda

I'm not sure when exactly that showed up, but I was checking a couple times a year, so it must've only been within the last few months.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Have all the recurring musical cues and motifs on these two albums been documented anywhere? Can't see it on ninwiki...