Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghosts V: Together & Ghosts VI: Locusts

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    did i just sit here and read all 9 pages of this thread? yes i did. quarantine life.

these albums are amazing. ghosts i-iv is my most listened-to NIN release, i absolutely adore all of TR&AR's score work, so this is perfect.

honestly feeling bad for all the people in the controversial opinions thread trashing the new, free, 2.5 hours of music we just got out of nowhere. sorry you don't like it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i really want to know who's playing that trumpet. reminds me of some of the trumpet work on coil's The Ape Of Naples album.

i really love the trilogy but honestly this is the best material to come out under the NIN moniker since ghosts i-iv.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really love Ghosts V: Together, it is just what I need at this lonely time. Ghosts VI: Locusts I'm probably going to hold off on listening to again until I'm not so isolated. I did laugh my ass off while listening to Ghosts VI final track, Almost Dawn, at about 2:19 into the song I love the unexpected use of the Star Trek theme.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    Man, I hate being that one guy but here goes anyways.

Let me just start out by saying, im so happy to have some new NIN during these times. Waking up to see all these new songs on youtube got my so excited and i rushed over here to see what was going on. I got on the website and i got my download.

And i have to say......this was very painful to listen too....and no i don't mean because the tracks are bad, but i literally mean it was painful to listen to because a lot of these songs were hell on my ears. Almost every song on Together was hard on my ears, and don't get me started on "Hope WE Can AGain", I really hope he does not do THAT again. Funny how the song that caused my ears the most physical pain is on the hopeful, optimistic album of the two. Another thing I didn't really like on Together was a lack of variety. Much of Together can be summed up as "Piano and Atmospheric Droning." Part of the reason the other Ghosts were so interesting was all the experimentation. There was a variety of synths,piano, guitars, bass, noise, madolins, banjo's, a random video of kids in Bioshock Cosplay and fucking Saddam Hussans fucking trail. And there wasn't really much of that at all, except for "Still Right Here" where it just randomly changes into a different song. One more thing that bothered me was how.....long...these songs are. With all the lack of anything interesting to say about these songs, the fact they stretch to the 13 min mark is just.....why? Cut these down in half and they would work so much better. I don't mind a long song if it can keep me interested, but in my opinion, none of the songs got me like that.

Now, Locusts is much better than Together IMO, there is a lot more variety and i do like it's darker mood, but trying to freak me out is like trying to make Freddy Kruger have a nightmare. It very rarely happens as i am notoriously stone fucking cold and really hard to freak out. But again, the ear aches with songs like "The Cursed Clock", "Around Every Corner", "Just Breathe". And "So Tired" are just hell on my ears, even worse since my hearing is very sensitive due to have Aspergers. Also, again, some of these songs are too fucking long to remember anything about them.

Now look, I'm just being honest, I want to like these albums as much as you guys do, i really do.....but on these two, I did not enjoy the journey this time....so im going back on my cellphone.
    I understand what you mean, dude.
    But let these songs work on you.
    Be happy you're part of the musical expression of such a great artist.
    Mention one artist who's so wide in his repertoire. Mention one artist who's not afraid to explore musically and seeking and not afraid exploring musical boundaries. I see it more as art. You like it or not. Ad yes, indeed, you can discuss it.
    Anyway, that's why I love Trent and very happy to be part of this era. As I said earlier: 'musical stagnation is suicide'.
    Amen!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    Another thing I didn't really like on Together was a lack of variety. Much of Together can be summed up as "Piano and Atmospheric Droning." Part of the reason the other Ghosts were so interesting was all the experimentation. There was a variety of synths,piano, guitars, bass, noise, madolins, banjo's, a random video of kids in Bioshock Cosplay and fucking Saddam Hussans fucking trail. And there wasn't really much of that at all, except for "Still Right Here" where it just randomly changes into a different song.
    It's funny. I was just thinking that Together sounds more or less like just another TR/AR score, which feels a little ironic given that Watchmen was the first TR/AR score that could have easily been credited as NIN instead of TR/AR. I always thought that if more Ghosts ever happened, I'd want it to be drastically different from their score work (i.e. more NIN than TR/AR), but considering I got just that with Watchmen, I'm more okay with this just being whatever it wants to be.

And of course, the bigger message is that this is a free album being given to us in a crisis. Who knows what exactly this would have been if they had put it out when they were good and ready, but the decision to finish it and give it to us now for free is pretty wonderful.

Also, holy hell, this gives us like 8 hours of TR/AR music released over the past 15 months or so? Wow.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    oh, hey, if anyone likes the dark ambient sounds of this but also wants some louder and more abrasive material, may i recommend Kesto 234.48:4 by Pan Sonic? 4 discs, starting loud and getting more sparse/ambient as you progress (disc 4 is literally one 61-minute ambient piece). one of the best CD purchases i have ever made. would kill to have it released on vinyl (but it would have to be spread out over at least 6 discs).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...YvwM2fwM87pDj4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone willing to PM me a link. I have had this spinning authorizing payment window open since yesterday...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Official downloads: No
    Apple Music: No
    iTunes Store: No

Spotify: Yes
    Amazon Music: Yes
    Deezer: Yes
    YouTube Music: Yes
    TIDAL: Yes
    Pandora: Yes

YouTube (Nine Inch Nails channel): Yes and No [the ones with the suffix (Audio Only) do not contain stylized capitalization]
    It's available in FLAC on the Tidal Download store:
    Ghosts V: Together
    Ghosts VI: Locusts

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    For people still stuck on the spinning payment page, try going to the purchase in your account on the nin store. There may be a download link there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtc View Post
    Anyone willing to PM me a link. I have had this spinning authorizing payment window open since yesterday...
    Ditto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    For people still stuck on the spinning payment page, try going to the purchase in your account on the nin store. There may be a download link there.
    Nope, says "PAYMENT STATUS: PAID", but "FULFILLMENT STATUS: UNFULFILLED".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There is a direct download link on the Ghosts V-VI page now. I'll post the direct download link here for easy access.
    https://smarturl.it/GHOSTS2020

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Is there anything spelled out in the capitalised song titles?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by worzelg View Post
    is there anything spelled out in the capitalised song titles?
    out in the open turn this off please

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    out in the open turn this off please
    Thanks, i put it in an anagram solver and nothing for all the letters, closest match is union of the Russian people!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is just great news at this moment. It makes me feel grateful to be a fan of this band.

In fact... I really got myself thinking about Trent and his posse making new music during this quaratine a few days ago. That it would be great if even if he released a couple of new songs ou even old cuts revisited. So cool it turned out to be even better.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

i really want to know who's playing that trumpet. reminds me of some of the trumpet work on coil's The Ape Of Naples album.
    It makes me think of the track Agape from the If Beale Street Could Talk OST

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Hey, I was finally able to download it today...24 hours later.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I know someone else mentioned this upthread, and obviously we don't know yet as there are no credits, but I'm hopeful that Apart is actually a full orchestra, it sounds glorious.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the whole thing first time round, as Together just sounded to me like more of Waves, my least favourite score to date. Admittedly I was distracted as I was working too. But having listened to it all again today, again while working, and now again with full concentration, I can really appreciate the beauty of V. The title track (the first NIN title track in 15 years!) is excellent, and I can hear Leaving Hope in Your Touch that I'm listening to now, which is obviously a beautiful thing.

Thank you Trent and Atticus, you've made so many peoples weeks around the world that much brighter.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I just now noticed the email from the official website. That was a fast click, on an embedded download link, with absolutely not a single doubt behind it. Looking forward to enjoying the music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is it just me or these tracks need a bit more mixing? The highs are really high. On "Hope We Can Again" the highs are unbearable, makes my ears bleed and my cat freaks out when I play it for whatever reason. It's a damn shame cause I love the track but I can't listen to it.

EDIT: Okay, I went through the thread and turns out a lot of people feel the same way, good, I was afraid something was wrong with my speakers.
    Last edited by James Cobra; 03-27-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I mean isn't obvious that's intentional?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtc View Post
    There's a direct link at nin.com ; no need to "add to cart".

DOWNLOAD HERE: https://smarturl.it/GHOSTS2020

Link originally found here.
    Last edited by shagg_187; 03-27-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hope We Can Again is a tinnitus trigger for me.

The rest of the song is great, however.

I hope I never have permanent tinnitus, the temporary ringing that goes comes and goes is worrying enough at 21...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I have a pair of Grado headphones which already are notorious for the high range, and yeah Hope We Can Again is piercing. Very intentional though.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    I mean isn't obvious that's intentional?
    After the loudest bass guitar ever on Over And Out and the screeching power electronics mediums of I'm Not From This World, the journey to wrestle our ears to new dimensions by TR&AR has ended with the deafening highs of Hope We Can Again. May the next phase in these experimental pleasures be equal to all frequencies at once.

Anyway yeah it might intentional.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The breathing noises in This Cursed Clock are unnerving.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_is_dead View Post
    Hope We Can Again is a tinnitus trigger for me.

The rest of the song is great, however.

I hope I never have permanent tinnitus, the temporary ringing that goes comes and goes is worrying enough at 21...
    Once you get, you got it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Purely speculation here but there's a song title on Locusts that is directly related to a major plot point from the Woman in the Window. Make of that what you will, but I don't suggest digging too deeply if you don't want to spoil the story.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Love a lot of this although it's getting too familiar now with past soundtracks to make its own statement. Feels like a knee jerk reaction to dress up some left over soundtrack work and for some reason put it under NIN. Not complaining in the slightest but the original Ghosts is experimental like, 'whatever happens happens'. This is deliberate and not remotely NIN. The line begins to blur.. (sorry)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Any chance that we could see these in a physical LP release in some form or fashion down the line? Figured it'd be nice to own, but not sure how much of a priority these ones would be for production at the moment.
    I'm willing to bet we'll get a physical release as they're both halos.