Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 coping thread

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    posted this in the "...cheer you up" thread, but wanted to say it here, too: i raised over $180 on friday to donate, and it means so much to me. thanks to anyone here who helped! hope you're enjoying the music <3

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    JESUS FUCK WHO IS POSTING THE SPIDER SHIT~!?

I near had a god damn heart attack!

EDIT: Lol @allegro thanks for downgrading the spider content, severe arachnophobia here. I'm not looking for special treatment but that was nice of you, of all threads that i thought I'd be safe from something like that getting posted lmao

Now there's just what @Erneuert posted so i put my hand over the screen to cover it.

Maybe i should turn off the youtube embeds in my settings.
    Haha, sorry.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The city I'm in is still deep into COVID times but the province wants to start easing restrictions.

I'm still going to stay mostly inside until things calm down more.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    posted this in the "...cheer you up" thread, but wanted to say it here, too: i raised over $180 on friday to donate, and it means so much to me. thanks to anyone here who helped! hope you're enjoying the music <3
    That's awesome! Been listening on Spotify. Given the whole "unemployed" thing, buying music (or basically anything that isn't food or utility bills) has gone out the window for the time being. But I'm really digging what I'm hearing!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    That's awesome! Been listening on Spotify. Given the whole "unemployed" thing, buying music (or basically anything that isn't food or utility bills) has gone out the window for the time being. But I'm really digging what I'm hearing!
    thank you! means a lot <3

also, if you want to own any of it in hi-res, i made everything on my bandcamp PWYC. please feel free to download it for...well, free!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ I threw you a couple bucks on Friday! Thanks for putting so much out there PWYC and donating to worthy causes.

In other news... today was difficult. I got work done remotely, I took care of my son, even slept a bit. I ate food and am going outside for fresh air after I post this.

But geez... it is bad out there. Establishments that I dearly love, run by good people in my city, are closing down and not coming back. Other good people, whom I also love, are losing family members to this terrible virus. My own elder family members are doing alright, but I feel helpless and afraid for them. It's really difficult to just ignore what's happening, even being comfortably set up as I currently am.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    But geez... it is bad out there. Establishments that I dearly love, run by good people in my city, are closing down and not coming back.
    It might not help to say it, but it's just going to get worse on that level I think. So many business models are going to be challenged by the concept of whatever the "new normal" really is.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    One of our good friend's 19 year old son committed suicide. He went missing since Tuesday night, and they found his body this morning nearby in the woods. I can't imagine what they're going through.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    it's kind of crazy to think about, but I was actually on the verge of buying a live PA system, something very legit. It would have been a huge investment. I was thinking of running my own live sound service; everything from parties to concerts. I'd already dabbled in it, and I work as a live sound guy, but I just saw how much more I'd make if I ran the entire rig and rented out and engineered live gigs.

I guess I'm glad I didn't wind up doing that.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Alton Brown is a national treasure.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I talked to my elderly relative yesterday. She's 63 and has health problems. She watched that stupid plandemic video and now wants to be "out and about". She said she has to find something to get into since there are no festivals this weekend. I'm like even if there were a festival, you wouldn't go WOULD YOU?????? I'm not surprised just disappointed. She said a few other things that were plandemic inspired but the big one was she's suddenly antivax. She gets a flu shot every year but all the sudden she's not sure she should. And if they have a COVID19 vaccine, she's not sure she's going to get it. I have another family member that hasn't taken it seriously either and has been going to multiple places and acting like I'm over reacting or that my fear of the virus is irrational in some way. She is younger and probably healthy. Out of the three of us, I am the one who almost died in an accident. I personally do not want to have to fight for my life again. I've had some health problems over the last few years that I haven't figured out yet so I'm not messing around with the quarantine. I had a doc appt yesterday at an office attached to a hospital and both the doctor and the nurse I saw expressed that they do not feel safe working right now. I made sure to tell my elderly relative that information.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    And 63 isn’t what I consider “elderly.” She’s not even eligible for Medicare for 2 years, and not eligible for Social Security for 4 years. Your mortality jumps to 9.8% at 70, but then it jumps to 18% at 80. But obese people with diabetes in the 30s have double the mortality risk of a healthy person in their 70s.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/12/211737..._gl=1*1h6c3nk*

What bothers me is people are only a few months into this and are losing it. My Mom is bitching that she’s depressed because her condo is like a “prison.” Except she never fucking went anywhere, anyway!

I said, I look at my house as “safe.”

She said wow, that’s good, I never looked at it that way.

Well, DUH.

It’s like all these right wing preppers out there with a stock room full of guns, ammo, water, and all kinds of shit, prepared for a civil war or a zombie apocalypse but they lose their shit when they can’t go to Cracker Barrel or get a hair cut.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    And 63 isn’t what I consider “elderly.” She’s not even eligible for Medicare for 2 years, and not eligible for Social Security for 4 years. Your mortality jumps to 9.8% at 70, but then it jumps to 18% at 80. But obese people with diabetes in the 30s have double the mortality risk of a healthy person in their 70s.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/12/211737..._gl=1*1h6c3nk*

What bothers me is people are only a few months into this and are losing it. My Mom is bitching that she’s depressed because her condo is like a “prison.” Except she never fucking went anywhere, anyway!

I said, I look at my house as “safe.”

She said wow, that’s good, I never looked at it that way.

Well, DUH.

It’s like all these right wing preppers out there with a stock room full of guns, ammo, water, and all kinds of shit, prepared for a civil war or a zombie apocalypse but they lose their shit when they can’t go to Cracker Barrel or get a hair cut.
    i get what you’re saying. maybe i’m pushing her into the elderly category a little too soon. i’m so worried about her getting the virus. i think it would be bad for her. i also didn’t mention that she is obese. i always feel terrible talking about anyone’s body weight. i’ve gotten more conscious of it since i had children. our rule is we don’t talk about people’s bodies.

that’s funny about your mom saying she’s in a prison. this relative told me if i saw her, i’d think she was a homeless person. i said why and she’s like i just look homeless. i’m like BUT you have a home!!!! the conversation was so awkward.

it does seem like everyone got restless pretty quick. it started out as “we’re in this together” now it’s “every man for himself”

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    i get what you’re saying. maybe i’m pushing her into the elderly category a little too soon. i’m so worried about her getting the virus. i think it would be bad for her. i also didn’t mention that she is obese. i always feel terrible talking about anyone’s body weight. i’ve gotten more conscious of it since i had children. our rule is we don’t talk about people’s bodies.

that’s funny about your mom saying she’s in a prison. this relative told me if i saw her, i’d think she was a homeless person. i said why and she’s like i just look homeless. i’m like BUT you have a home!!!! the conversation was so awkward.

it does seem like everyone got restless pretty quick. it started out as “we’re in this together” now it’s “every man for himself”
    I wasn't guessing your friend is obese, I have no idea as to her health status. I only mentioned obesity as far as the increased risk of morbidity from Covid-19 because more than half our COUNTRY is obese. And the medical definition of “obese” is a BMI of over 30. A person can be 30 pounds overweight and obese per medical standards. It's a health epidemic. The media is only pointing to "age" in the increased risks, but there are other factors, too, like obesity and diabetes that are at epidemic levels in our society that go way beyond mere "body image" and greatly contribute to increased risks of cancer and many diseases. Also, increased use of alcohol greatly decreases the immune system response; the sale of alcohol increased by over 55% when the shelter-at-home orders were issued.

If anything, we should be self-reflecting as to our own health status and what changes we can make to make ourselves healthier, stronger, more able to fight these diseases. Because, they will become more frequent, not less.

It’s so goofy that we are in a pandemic, with massive loss of life, and people are worried about how they “look” and that they can’t socialize vs. if they could possibly DIE.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-08-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I dare you - I triple dog dare you - to predict what this ad is about. And no fair posting the results!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I dare you - I triple dog dare you - to predict what this ad is about. And no fair posting the results!
    that....that has to be a joke, right? please tell me that's a joke.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    that....that has to be a joke, right? please tell me that's a joke.
    Nope... this is totally insane.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Nope... this is totally insane.
    I like it. I grew up in blue collar Detroit in the 70s where the only thing anyone thought us “girls” would do would be Secretaries or Moms. Now, more women are in medical school than any other time in history.

In Ms. Monopoly, female players will get more money. Unlike the classic game, women will collect 240 Monopoly bucks when they pass "go," while male players will collect the usual 200. The idea is to create a game where women make more than men, the first game to do so, according to Hasbro.
    This sounds great to me!! Sign me up! Lol It is, basically, a world that reverses the pay and power advantage.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Game-Franchise

This is interesting: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...of-ms-monopoly
    Last edited by allegro; 05-08-2020 at 08:42 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I like it. I grew up in blue collar Detroit in the 70s where the only thing anyone thought us “girls” would do would be Secretaries or Moms. Now, more women are in medical school than any other time in history.

This sounds great to me!! Sign me up! Lol It is, basically, a world that reverses the pay and power advantage.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Game-Franchise

This is interesting: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...of-ms-monopoly
    no i'm (obviously) totally cool with that, it just seemed like that commercial was going to be about a funding program to help young women inventors with resources to continue their research.

monopoly in general is aimed at kids younger than teenagers so while i applaud what they're doing with the game, i just got really thrown off.

and wow that second article is upsetting.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 05-08-2020 at 11:24 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    no i'm (obviously) totally cool with that, it just seemed like that commercial was going to be about a funding program to help young women inventors with resources to continue their research.

monopoly in general is aimed at kids younger than teenagers so while i applaud what they're doing with the game, i just got really thrown off.

and wow that second article is upsetting.
    Hasbro DID provide “approximately $20,580 in REAL money to fuel [these girls’] inventive spirit and further their projects – which just so happens to be the same amount of Monopoly money featured in the game” (per first link above).

All of the young inventors come from very different backgrounds, but with a common goal to help others using their inventions:

• Sophia Wang, a 16-year-old from Connecticut invented a device that can detect sinkholes before they occur, and after two years of work, her prototype is now 93% accurate. She is hoping to get it patented and in the hands of communities in Florida that are vulnerable to sinkholes.
    • Gitanjali Rao, a 13-year-old from Denver came up with an invention that helps detect lead in drinking water so that individuals can do the test themselves and get results sooner. Her goal is to create an inexpensive, easy to use, portable device so that people all around the world can use it.
    • Ava Canney, a 16-year-old from Ireland, invented a spectrometer that measures the amount of dye in candy and soda. After studying the harmful effects of additives in our food, Ava set out to help people make educated decisions about the toxins they put into their bodies.

“Through the introduction of Ms. Monopoly and the money these young women have received to invest in their future projects, we want to recognize and celebrate the many contributions women have made to our society and continue to make on a daily basis,” said Jen Boswinkel, Senior Director, Global Brand Strategy and Marketing, Hasbro.
    Yeah, second link - Lizzie Magie was totally robbed.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-08-2020 at 11:44 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I've enjoyed listening to my friend's DJ nights via stream about every two weeks. I haven't been able to go to one in over 9+ years due to distance, but now I'm able to listen and donate to the causes supported.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

This tweet (and the replies) are the perfect example of what is wrong with people. Snip something out of context and suddenly it's the most ridiculous, outrageous, "OMG that's absolutely horrible" thing out there.

Silly product name aside, the company made a version of one of their flagship games that pays tribute to / celebrates some pretty awesome women and gave several young inventors tens of thousands of dollars in cash to pursue their dreams - but because someone chopped off the important part of the video, it's just a fucking joke to people because they're too lazy (or too stupid) to look past the punchline to see if there's more to it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    To pass the time, I've been watching a LOT of live concerts, highly reccomended!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I talked to my elderly relative yesterday.
    Might not make the situation any better but this might make you feel better...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I really hate this, but for my sanity I've quit reading the news, especially if Drump is involved. The anxiety just gets too much. Places are opening up more, and I'm just waiting for the second wave to hit.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Can you find something both hilarious and horrifying at the same time?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I really hate this, but for my sanity I've quit reading the news, especially if Drump is involved. The anxiety just gets too much. Places are opening up more, and I'm just waiting for the second wave to hit.
    Your blood pressure will thank you. Keep safe.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)