Page 99 of 122 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,970 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    No, it doesn't, you're just faking superiority to others to mask your own insecurities.

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but you're not special.
    Given the state of things, I have to concede that engaging in thoughtful, logical analysis devoid of insults and profanity does kind of qualify for “faking” it. Forgive me for not embracing reality, then.

I will respectfully disagree with your characterization of insecurity. Parents who can’t trust their kids to wear masks while mommy and daddy aren’t looking are insecure in their parenting ability. People who have obediently marched ilock-step with the public health hysteria for 18 months and angrily lash out at anyone who dares to take an opposing viewpoint are insecure in their belief as to whether any or all of it was right, or necessary. People who choose to engage in token gestures and futile acts, and insist that others do the same, are insecure in their own individuality.

I am no more or less special than anyone else. Vulnerability to illness is a part of the human condition, no one has ever promised or been promised otherwise. In many societies - mine included - choice and risk are foundational hallmarks of our supposed freedom. If I am to respect your choice to don a mask, or engage in self-isolation and restricted movement, are you not similarly obligated to respect my choices? Is forging hate and division your preferred alternative?

I am steadfast - and quite secure - in my unwavering support for individual liberty, and due process. And common sense. And the free exchange of ideas. And civil discourse. And tolerance of others, especially those who don’t share my beliefs. Are you?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    Given the state of things, I have to concede that engaging in thoughtful, logical analysis devoid of insults and profanity does kind of qualify for “faking” it. Forgive me for not embracing reality, then.

I will respectfully disagree with your characterization of insecurity. Parents who can’t trust their kids to wear masks while mommy and daddy aren’t looking are insecure in their parenting ability. People who have obediently marched ilock-step with the public health hysteria for 18 months and angrily lash out at anyone who dares to take an opposing viewpoint are insecure in their belief as to whether any or all of it was right, or necessary. People who choose to engage in token gestures and futile acts, and insist that others do the same, are insecure in their own individuality.

I am no more or less special than anyone else. Vulnerability to illness is a part of the human condition, no one has ever promised or been promised otherwise. In many societies - mine included - choice and risk are foundational hallmarks of our supposed freedom. If I am to respect your choice to don a mask, or engage in self-isolation and restricted movement, are you not similarly obligated to respect my choices? Is forging hate and division your preferred alternative?

I am steadfast - and quite secure - in my unwavering support for individual liberty, and due process. And common sense. And the free exchange of ideas. And civil discourse. And tolerance of others, especially those who don’t share my beliefs. Are you?

Arf, arf motherfucker.
    Last edited by M1ke; 08-11-2021 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Added the "motherfucker" because reasons.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

This "muh freedum" shit is the stupidest hill to die on. It's not about freedom or liberty or your rights or any of that crap. You simply want to act like a stubborn child who doesn't like to be told what to do, even though you're told what to do on a daily basis. You're no freedom fighter.

Also, forgive me if I'm not tolerant of this particular belief when I see people who share the same belief dying on a daily basis now because of their "freedom". If you want to die for it, go for it, but don't expect everyone to put a big smile on their face and nod politely.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    <big fucking wanking motion> Way to go, patriot.

Fuck off.

Edit: This shit fucking pisses me off. You can go on like you're some enlightened being somehow more capable of understanding public health policy than those who have spent their entire professional lives learning, studying, and adapting to a multitude of threats all over the world but excuse me if I trust their guidance over Youtube, Reddit, and Holisticfuckingasshole.com. There is one collective responsible for the current state of things and it's NOT those of us who have masked when we were asked to, lined up for shots when they were available, and do everything we can to protect the elderly and those 11 and under. Again, fuck off.
    Last edited by cdm; 08-11-2021 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Welp, I got covid. Fully vaccinated (moderna).
    I had chills Monday night. No fever. Sore lymph node and sniffly. Been working from home, soonest I can get a rapid test is tomorrow, so today I bought an at-home test. I was quite surprised when it came back positive. Going to the rapid test tomorrow to confirm.

This blows. But it isn't surprising. There's 3 assholes in my office who refused to get vaccinated, and I probably got it from them.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    shit, sorry to hear Mag..hope you feel better soon!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Oh shit....here's hoping it's mild!!!

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Fuck. Hope you get better quick, @Magnetic .

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I work as a teacher and Zoom sucks. Some kids are really missing out.
    @Magnetic . Really sorry.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Echoing best wishes to @Magnetic . Hope you feel better soon.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I had chills Monday night. No fever. Sore lymph node and sniffly. Been working from home, soonest I can get a rapid test is tomorrow, so today I bought an at-home test. I was quite surprised when it came back positive. Going to the rapid test tomorrow to confirm.

This blows. But it isn't surprising. There's 3 assholes in my office who refused to get vaccinated, and I probably got it from them.
    That’s terrible. Get well soon!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

make sure to sneeze on them when you go back.

But also get better soon, that's important as well.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

How are you feeling? Zinc, Vitamin D, and Emergen-C is what we took to help get over it last year...
    Last edited by Kodiak33; 08-12-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    was reading that some schools in Mississippi, Georgia, and Indiana have already had to switch to virtual because cases are too high.

but I thought the red states were saying they'd NEVER go back to virtual learning?

when will they learn? I guess the answer is never.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    How are you feeling? Zinc, Vitamin D, and Emergen-C is what we took to help get over it last year...
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I had my rapid test, and it came back negative today. I did some research, and the at-home test I took (Ellume) has a high false positive rate. Walgreens' covid associated-company (PWNHealth) customer service said I'd have to have a full PCR test to confirm. The soonest I could schedule was Saturday. Results take 2-3 days, and a hurricane is supposed to hit Saturday night so...
    Regardless, I'm working from home just fine this week and keeping up with things.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    "The number of active COVID-19 cases in Medicine Hat has jumped by nearly 30 per cent in one day. There are 322 active cases of COVID-19 in Medicine Hat on Wednesday, another record. On Tuesday the city had 252 active cases, breaking the previous record set in May."

There was 169 on Friday. Only 55% here are fully vaxxed. There's a lot of resistance with it around here, even with a substantial older population. That and the rednecks who want to "stick it to Trudeau."

There's roughly 65,000 here.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    following up with my post yesterday about schools, one one school district alone in Florida, 440 students have to quarantine.

...school's been open for just a few days there.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    LDS Church asks members to get vaccinated, wear masks

In a letter sent Thursday, the First Presidency cited the recommendations of "medical experts and government leaders" to receive the vaccine in order to "win this war."
    "We know that protection from the diseases they cause can only be achieved by immunizing a very high percentage of the population," the letter read.

"To provide personal protection from such severe infections, we urge individuals to be vaccinated."
    well there goes that religious exemption.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    ^ I almost read that as “LSD Church” for a second.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    apparently a lot of people do because that's what most comments were where I read that. lol

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    “Moderna may be superior to Pfizer against delta variant — breakthrough odds rise with time”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/09/mode...with-time.html

In a study of more than 50,000 patients in the Mayo Clinic Health System, researchers found the effectiveness of Moderna's vaccine against infection had dropped to 76% in July - when the delta variant was predominant - from 86% in early 2021. Over the same period, the effectiveness of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine had fallen to 42% from 76%, researchers said. While both vaccines remain effective at preventing Covid hospitalization, a Moderna booster shot may be necessary soon for anyone who got the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines earlier this year, said Dr. Venky Soundararajan of Massachusetts data analytics company nference, who led the Mayo study.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    “...a Moderna booster shot may be necessary soon for anyone who got the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines earlier this year..."
    Gimme

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I didn’t think you were supposed to mix them?

So whenever the time comes I can choose a Moderna booster?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I didn’t think you were supposed to mix them?

So whenever the time comes I can choose a Moderna booster?
    We've been mixing them all like crazy here in Canada.

I got AstraZenica for my first and Moderna for my second. I have a coworker who got AZ/Pfizer. My friend got Pfizer/Moderna.

I'd gladly take a 3rd dose of whatever, but my province isn't offering that yet.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Yeah, I messaged my doctor about it and she responded that it’s only for transplant recipients so far.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I was watching TV today about this, they’re saying it’s for people with “weakened immune systems” (see below link). Then, the rollout will hit people based on (a) medical condition, (b) age, (c) when you got the 2nd shot (efficacy diminishes).

https://abc7chicago.com/cvs-pharmacy...hots/10951365/

WHO QUALIFIES?

Roughly 7 million American adults are classified as immune-compromised, but the FDA singled out transplant recipients and others with similar levels of immune suppression. The FDA didn't spell out exactly who falls into those other categories, but in new guidance to doctors issued Friday, the CDC listed several categories of people who could qualify, including people with advanced or untreated HIV infections and those with cancers who are receiving certain chemotherapies.
    Here’s the CDC guidelines:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ns/immuno.html

Who Needs an Additional COVID-19 Vaccine?
    Currently, CDC is recommending that moderately to severely immunocompromised people receive an additional dose. This includes people who have:

Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
    Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
    Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
    Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
    Advanced or untreated HIV infection
    Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response
    Can you mix and match the vaccines?

For people who received either Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine series, a third dose of the same mRNA vaccine should be used. A person should not receive more than three mRNA vaccine doses. If the mRNA vaccine product given for the first two doses is not available or is unknown, either mRNA COVID-19 vaccine product may be administered.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-14-2021 at 11:34 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Look, there are enough fuckleheads who don't want the shots that you can give theirs to anyone else who wants the booster.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The U.S. Supreme Court disagrees with you

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/197/11/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    About that third dose...the CDC believes 1.1 million(!!!) people scammed a third prior to approval.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/08/1-1-million-americans-received-a-covid-booster-shot-report.html